ExcelFTW

Retro Throw Back: 2005's King Kong- What Went Wrong?

It's OD was 9M (granted it was a Wednesday)

I see, well 9m isn't really that bad for opening day on a weekday in december (not in 2005 anyway) it's five opening was $66m. was anyone really expecting it to reach ROTK numbers? was a it a disappointment? sure, but I fail to see it being a box office disaster.  

Edited by Kalo

What went "wrong" were people's expectations. The movie grossed an adjusted $285m DOM and did 332m OS a decade ago, when that would be more equivalent to double that in today's OS market. It was also well received by critics and audiences in general, even if most people didn't love it and thought it was too bloated. However, people expected it to be like only the third billion dollar grossing film ever at the time and sweep the oscars. Those were ridiculous expectations all along. I do think if the beginning hadn't been so sluggish with such a long run-time though, the movie could have grossed 50-100m more than it did DOM and probably gotten more accolades. 

Something went wrong ?

This is breaking news information.

What went "wrong" were people's expectations. The movie grossed an adjusted $285m DOM and did 332m OS a decade ago, when that would be more equivalent to double that in today's OS market. It was also well received by critics and audiences in general, even if most people didn't love it and thought it was too bloated. However, people expected it to be like only the third billion dollar grossing film ever at the time and sweep the oscars. Those were ridiculous expectations all along. I do think if the beginning hadn't been so sluggish with such a long run-time though, the movie could have grossed 50-100m more than it did DOM and probably gotten more accolades. 

People were expecting Middle Earth numbers, forgetting that LOTR was the biggest books of all time before Potter ...

Edited by The Futurist

Wow, checking RT and I actually had forgotten it was that well received by critics. 84% and 7.7 average rating are nothing to sneeze at. It probably would've gotten LOTR level reviews with a half hour chopped off in the first half (and virtually anyone besides Jack Black in the lead). 

Edited by MovieMan89

This movie was so boring that It took me 3 days to watch this film from start to end.

I go long periods of time where I forget the bloody movie even existed.

That's not fair.

The only reason it took you three days to watch King Kong 05 is because its runtime is 67 hours.

Edited by kowhite

On 12/15/2013 at 11:40 AM, 4815162342 said:

1) $207m production budget

2) 187 minute running time. PJ turned a short B-movie into an "epic" dissertation on the Great Depression, show business, and environmental exploitation.

A running theme with Jackson's movies. He needs someone who can ruthlessly edit his movies.