CJohn

Ice Age 5: Collision Course (July 22, 2016)

IA4 has the largest OS percentage share for any movie that has made $300m+ WW. In fact, no other intended-for-WW-release movie has grossed over $400m WW and only made 20% of that total or less from North America. (I don't count The Intouchables, because that wasn't made with the intent of North American release, it just got $10m from an art-house import run.)

Could IA5 break that record by making more than 81.2% of its total outside NA?

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

Why they haven't just made a Scrat spinoff already mystifies me.

They are probably scared a spinoff would tank like Penguins and kill their golden goose franchise.

I think the studio has stopped caring and is only doing more IA films for the money.

Blue Sky seems split: half of the studio wants to make innovative features like Peanuts, the other half makes fucking Ice Age.

They need the IA films.

One IA sequel makes enough WW to fund three movies for them. I get the feeling that most of the crew is brunt out on the IA franchise, but they know that it is a necessary evil until they can find their next franchise.

We are not even sure if this is happening.

of course its happening...IA5 will likely make 1bn WW on a 100mn budget...

as long as it makes that kind of money overseas...we will keep getting more IA films..

I think not - I would say 750 OS.

The 3rd Ice age grossed 690 OS and the 4th after 2 years grossed 715 OS so the jump wasn't that huge.

I would say 750 max and 150-160 DOM for a total of 900-910.

Oh and wait China will inch it over that mark.

The reason why I asked if this was happening is because of that THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS date. Why would Universal put it there? Did they know anything about ICE AGE V's production that we didn't know? Studios have insiders, right?

$900m OS probable?

I think a better word to use is "possible" :)

And in that case, you'd have to ask if this franchise may have reached its peak overseas. Grosses are declining domestically, so eventually they will start to decrease overseas as well. Not that this will decrease OS, but another major increase like the one you just mentioned may be harder than one would think.

• Like 2