Films

Wicked: Part 1 | Thanksgiving 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

https://deadline.com/2020/04/minions-the-rise-of-gru-sing-2-wicked-release-date-change-global-international-box-office-coronavirus-1202897417/

Last week, Illumination/Universal’s Minions: The Rise Of Gru stepped off of its global release which was previously set for late June in some offshore markets and for July 3 domestically. It has now been scheduled for July 2, 2021, taking the slot that belonged to Sing 2, which in turn is now headed to Christmas 2021 (December 22 domestically). Universal has thus pushed Wicked off of its holiday 2021 launch. That film remains undated for the moment.

I watched Joe Mantello's adaptation of his The Boys in the Band revival recently and he should really make more movies since he's clearly got plenty of skills in that department too so if they do ever actually go forward with this they should just bring him back since he already knows the material from directing the original Broadway production.

On 10/20/2020 at 11:00 AM, Cap said:

shocked futurama GIF

Seriously, it's going to be a race to see which films doesn't happen first: this or Sunset Bvld

I would give Wicked a somewhat better chance of  actually  happening simply because it was a much bigger hit on stage then Sunset Blvd was. The Sunset Toruing company would play a for few weeks in cities, Wicked would play for Months.

Musicals haven't been doing too well in recent years. Cats, In the Heights and Dear Evan Hansen all bombed, so it'll take a big miracle for this to get made as a film, let alone a profitable venture.

If we ever do get Wicked content in theaters, it'll most likely be a recording of the Broadway show instead of a dedicated film. Even then, it'd probably go to Peacock instead, functioning as their very own Hamilton.

Chu needs to get back to those CRAZY RICH ASIANS sequels.  That's where the money is....  but if they wait too long on that, too, any anticipation will die...  It already has been too long. 

Edited by Macleod

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Chu needs to get back to those CRAZY RICH ASIANS sequels.  That's where the money is....  but if they wait too long on that, too, any anticipation will die...  It already has been too long. 

yeah i feel like the moment has already passed idk. especially if the post-pandemic trend of everything that isn't spectacle filmmaking failing at the BO continues. It'd probably be a HBO Max original if they ever do it.

I think the window for a Crazy Rich Asians sequel has closed.

The first film already left off in a decent spot, and by the time a sequel could conceivably happen, it'd be 5 years. It just seemed like a sequel that as is was already destined for a drop and the wait time has made it worse.

39 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I think the window for a Crazy Rich Asians sequel has closed.

The first film already left off in a decent spot, and by the time a sequel could conceivably happen, it'd be 5 years. It just seemed like a sequel that as is was already destined for a drop and the wait time has made it worse.

It also feels like most of the cast is somehow in worse shape in their careers than when the first one came out with their franchise plays not working out. Henry Golding had Snake Eyes, Constance Wu burned a few bridges with her sitcom renewal meltdown, Gemma Chan is in Eternals which is quickly moving downwards on reviews and her performance is not exactly getting great reviews - which is a problem when the next movie focuses on her character. Awakwafina is probably the one who has had an upward trajectory since.

It's definitely weird that there was no sequel put into development asap for a 2020 release pre-pandemic. Might have been an issue with Golding, Wu and Chan's schedules.

Wu's problems with FotB were simmering before CRA came out. She did have another win with Hustlers post-CRA (even if JLo was the main face of the film) so I think she's good. The sequel is supposed to center around Chan's character though. If Eternals underwhelms financially too, I can see them beef up Constance and Awkwafina's parts in the sequel.