Godzilla

How to Train Your Dragon 2 OS (418 mil OS!!!)

First movie did almost $500m...

Only in China+ Russia will make +$100m.

Have you seen the release dates? In the beginning of the Football World Cup!!! In China, Japan and the US could do good, maybe even in Russia but in Europe and Latin America it doesn't look like a good release date...

Have you seen the release dates? In the beginning of the Football World Cup!!! In China, Japan and the US could do good, maybe even in Russia but in Europe and Latin America it doesn't look like a good release date...

In Europe and Latin America it is releasing in July.

I expect at least: 

$60m in China

$60m in South Korea

$25m in Japan

$25m in Mexico

$10m in Argentina

$25m in Australia

$50m in UK

$40m in France

$30m in Germany

$35m in Russia

:)

60m in korea is unlikely. i dont think any CGI movie but frozen has grossed more than 30M. I dont see trend changing now. 

• Like 1

60m in korea is unlikely. i dont think any CGI movie but frozen has grossed more than 30M. I dont see trend changing now. 

KFP2 grossed $41M in korea. But I agree that HTTYD2 is unlikely to do $60M

KFP2 grossed $41M in korea. But I agree that HTTYD2 is unlikely to do $60M

KFP2 is East Asian in terms of thematic materials. Unless it is Marvel, giant robots or Tom Cruise dangling on the side of Burj Dubai, Koreans prefer their own films.

I expect at least: $10m in Argentina :)

Being released one month before the winter holidays and in the beginning of the Football World Cup I don't see it doing $10M in Argentina. This year the exchange rate is not as good as last year. It's true that's the competition this year is weaker but it won't be enough. The winner of this "winter" there will be Planes 2

KFP2 is East Asian in terms of thematic materials. Unless it is Marvel, giant robots or Tom Cruise dangling on the side of Burj Dubai, Koreans prefer their own films.

You can say it's east Asian but it's mostly about Chinese culture, which has some similarities with Korean culture but they're fundamentally different. 

KFP2's success in SK has more to do with the fact that it's dreamworks & it's funny without being difficult to understand.

You're right about the movies Koreans prefer though except I'd add musical films to that list, as shown by the success of Les miserables and Frozen. It's a relatively untapped genre here. 

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

Being released one month before the winter holidays and in the beginning of the Football World Cup I don't see it doing $10M in Argentina. This year the exchange rate is not as good as last year. It's true that's the competition this year is weaker but it won't be enough. The winner of this "winter" there will be Planes 2

I don't know how much worse the exchange rate in Argentina is, but HTTYD will open on June 19 or around the same times Monsters University and Despicable Me 2 opened, and they made over $23m and $18m, respectively. But again, I don't know much about Argentina's box office.

And also, how can the FIFA World Cup affect that much the box office?