baumer

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

80 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This is not just the best film of the year, it is unquestionably one of the best films I've ever seen.  Every scene, every shot, every performance is about as good as it gets.  Standing out of course are DiCaprio and Hill.  Hill transforms himself in this film but DiCaprio gives the best performance of his career.  He jumped head first into the role and there isn't one moment that you are watching this where you feel like you are watching Leonardo DiCaprio.  What you are seeing on screen is Jordan Belfort.  He is brave, brilliant and fearless.  Snort coke off a hookers breasts?  No problem.  Blow coke into a hookers ass?  He does that.  Give rousing speeches that me, the viewer, want to work for him?  It's in here.  Dance, get naked, party,     crawl around like a baby, cry, show vulnerability, it's all in here.  It is one of, if not the best performance in a film I have ever seen.  DiCaprio is good in everything I have seen him in, but he has taken the extra step here.  He knows Jordan Belfort.  There is a scene where he crawls around on the floor for 10 minutes in a drug induced paralysis and it will go down as not only the scene of the year (along with the cum part in This is the End) but one of the most messed up but brilliant scenes in film history.  When DiCaprio first came on the scene, his talent was easily seen.  Then he did Titanic and became a heart-throb to teenage girls.  But he's never just let loose like this.  Scorcese did it with Pesci and Liotta in Goodfellas and he has done in Wolf with DiCaprio.  He holds nothing back and just goes for it all.  

This is the Goodfellas of the 2000's.  It's created from the same palette that made Goodfellas.  It's long but never boring and it's so entertaining and funny and exhilarating that I hope the 4 hour cut we have heard about does find it's way to the DVD.  I'm not sure yet if this is better than Scorcese's opus, Goodfellas, but it is certainly on par with it.  I don't know if the academy is going to be progressive enough to reward this film with what it deserves, but in time, regardless of the awards, it will be remembered as one of the great films in the annals of film history.  

It has to be said that the movie makes you kind of envious of the lifestyle these guys lead.  Their life is a party.  They make 22 million dollars in three hours and then spend the next 12 hours snorting coke, swallowing queludes, banging the hottest strippers and hookers around, flying in private jets and spending 2 million dollars on bachelor parties.  Their life is a fairy tale and it makes you a little sad that after you leave the theater you have to go back to your 9-5 existence.  This world is full of excess and debauchery but damn it looks like fun.

IMO, this is the best film of the year and it has the best performance of the year and it's not even close.  I understand this will not be a film for everyone's liking but it is undeniably hilarious, expertly directed, crisply edited and beautifully acted.  And Margot Robbie is insanely sexy, insanely sexy.

10/10

• Like 13

INeedToSeeThis Movie!Damn Baumer, like I wasn't hyped already! Only read your first few sentences and last paragraph to avoid spoilers but can't wait. Love Scorsese, love Leo, and love Leo and Scorsese together! Have a 3 day weekend so plan on catching a double feature of this and American Hustle on Friday!

Edited by FTF
  • Like 3

I admit I'm as biased as it gets when it comes to Scorsese's movies; but Wolf of Wall Street is really great. I love it a lot. It's fun, it's crazy. With amazing performances, from Leo and Jonah Hill especially. They did not disappoint, I got what I've come to expect from trailers and more. Really hope both got an Oscar nom. Scorsese deliver again of course. He's definitely in my Top 3 directors working right now, which makes me even sadder thinking about his recent retirement announcement :(The movie has good editing and pacing, doesn't feel long at all despite the run time. The screenplay is just as bizzare and fun as the movie itself, and it works wonderfully under Scorsese's direction. Like B said though, I also think Wolf of Wall Street might not be a lot of people's cup of tea; but it's absolutely worth it to go watch it at least once.Without a doubt, A+ from me.

• Like 4

INeedToSeeThisMovie!Damn Baumer, like I wasn't hyped already! Only read your first few sentences and last paragraph to avoid spoilers but can't wait. Love Scorsese, love Leo, and love Leo and Scorsese together! Have a 3 day weekend so plan on catching a double feature of this and American Hustle on Friday!

Watch AH first.  I implore you.  You need to see the inferior film first.  Hustle is good but Wolf is just in another league.

Watch AH first. I implore you. You need to see the inferior film first. Hustle is good but Wolf is just in another league.

Ha nice based on timing that'll probably be the order, AH then Wolf. Edited by FTF
  • Like 1

Awesome article, Dar.  Here's a great snippet from it:

Rob Reiner, who’s known as a director nowadays more than as an actor, said he didn’t know why he was approached to play Jordan Belfort’s excitable dad.

“When Martin Scorsese calls to ask you to be in a movie, you just do it. You don’t ask questions.”

But then, “First of all, I thought, ‘Well he wants me to play Leonardo DiCaprio’s father, so I thought, ‘Well maybe I’m more handsome than I thought.”

“Plus I got to say the F-word in a Martin Scorsese film. That’s always a good thing.”

A journalist said a friend of his counted “500 f’s” in the “The Wolf of Wall Street.”

Scorsese asked, “Did that beat ‘The Departed’ or no?”

The journalist said he thought it might have.

That’s a good bet because “The Wolf of Wall Street” clocks in at 169 minutes while “The Departed” is only 151.

• Like 1

Interesting.  Thanks for the link (I went to the bathroom and missed the quaalude overdose scene...lol).

You missed it?!!  It's one of the  best parts of the movie.

• Like 4

You missed it?!!  It's one of the  best parts of the movie.

I plan on seeing the movie again this evening.

LOL...I've been browsing the internets and apparently it was something to behold.  When I got back to the theater Jordan Belfort had already made it back to the house.

Baumer - let me ask you this, did you see Belfort as a villain?

I agree with this quote from a Slate review:

It may be great cinema to document his exploits, but there's a fine line between satirizing Wall Street's excess and celebrating Belfort's lifestyle. Put simply, the film could have done a better job making Belfort look like a villain.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2013/12/25/_the_wolf_of_wall_street_reviewed_by_bankers.html

The reason why I gave it a B was that I thought Scorcese's balance between the excesses and consequences was imbalanced.  Sure, the last 30 minutes or so, everything came crashing to a head but he lived an immensely enjoyable life up to that point.  He then got out of jail and apparently has a successful career as a motivational speaker.  I'm all for redemption but I wonder how young financiers will view this film.  He seems to have gotten off pretty easily after living the alpha male lifestyle for so long at the expense of ordinary people.

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 1

I plan on seeing the movie again this evening.

LOL...I've been browsing the internets and apparently it was something to behold.  When I got back to the theater Jordan Belfort had already made it back to the house.

Baumer - let me ask you this, did you see Belfort as a villain.  

I agree with this quote from a Slate review:

It may be great cinema to document his exploits, but there's a fine line between satirizing Wall Street's excess and celebrating Belfort's lifestyle. Put simply, the film could have done a better job making Belfort look like a villain.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2013/12/25/_the_wolf_of_wall_street_reviewed_by_bankers.html

It would have been a different movie if they wanted to paint him as a villain.  I doubt it would have been anywhere near as good, because everything he did would have most likely been very mean-spirited.  I don't know if I could have handled that for 3 hours.

He is shown as being addicted to the money and the drugs and the lifestyle.  He was good to those in his life, like the woman that asked for $5,000 and he gave her $25,000?  She fucking loved him and pretty much everyone that worked with him did too.  Not a single person broke when questioned.  That's some fucking loyalty right there.  

• Like 3

Yes, it's probably too long, but I didn't care. I would've spent another three hours in this world. 

This is the best comedy I've seen in years, the craziest major studio release I've seen in forever, and even in a year with Hanks and Ejiofor, DiCaprio gives what is without a doubt my favorite performance of the year and probably the best of his lifetime. That's a lot of hyperbole right there but my ultimate point is that Scorsese just did the cinematic equivalent of dropping the mic. A goddamn masterpiece. 

• Like 13