baumer

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

80 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This was phenomenal. Three hours of break-necked pace, outrageous, raunchy dramatic comedy. Granted the themes here are not new (addiction, greed) but it's all about the execution. I know it's Scorsese, but come on, this was directed by a 71 YEAR OLD. Considering the content and style of this movie, that fact just gob-smacks me. All the performances were great but Leo is out of this world. I said it in Friday numbers thread, but it deserves to be said again, this is a guy that 100% transforms into his characters every damn time. He makes you forget that he's Leonardo DiCaprio, and even though that's his job as an actor, it's a major, major accomplishment.

A

• Like 3

"There were definitely parts of this film that felt excessive and shocking just to be excessive and shocking, and so those that complain do have a solid point (especially given that the film isn't fully justified in the 3 hours it has, it most likely could have been shorter without detracting from the film), but they are also missing the broader scope (and are objectively wrong) when they call this film trash, it is far from trash, but then again far from a masterpiece too."
Read more at
(I gave it a 7/10, and it's a mostly positive review)

One of those movies that the longer you watch, it becomes more of an intangible experience, than a movie. Even though you dont snort the coke, have the sex, or swear your lungs out, you feel as if youre standing right next to it all. Jordan Belfort is a character you dont want to root for, lets face it he's slimy, but hes a character that you end up rooting for anyway. Scorsese built a world we dont ever see. When we think of Wall Street, we think of boring, same old yelling at the phone, dealing with numbers 9-5 lifestyle, not marching bands, strippers, and confetti. Could it have been anymore unorthodox? Yes. More offensive? Sure, if it ever was (does pervasive cocaine use offend you?). Could you ask for more? Scorsese already gave us an pervasive Bud Light commercial, what more do we deserve? It was outrageous, vulgar, profane, corse, tough, lewd, unorthodox, dark, off the wall, off color, off key, and maybe even off putting, but thats what made it a movie experience you will mostly appreciate. The movie grows darker and mores serious, but its for good reason. Action vs consequence does battle and Belfort gets caught in-between. We asked to go 2nd-base and see the nipples of Wall Street, what we got was the full on privates parts. Scorsese made a film that by content sounds like pure filth, but a finished product that shows why that filth was really only "F". Take out the -ilth, and add in -ucking fun. Give Leo Dio his Oscar please! But no more coke. The message and urgency felt flat, language was excessive, and some scenes, like the lunch, couldve been shortened, and its not a life to glorify, but Wolf is the PERFECT definition of a phrase of my generation that goes "TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!", and they never do. A- . Go see it. Turn up. IMAX 3D if you can.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

I saw it today and I liked it, but I didn't love it.

All of the performances were great! Especially, Leo. The direction was good too and I found the movie really funny at parts.

With that said, I really felt the runtime. I think 20-30, possibly even 40 minutes could have been cut and I would have enjoyed it more.

I would probably give it a B.

Edited by Empire

I really don't even have words for this movie. Its fucking awesome. Any film that says fuck over 500 times has to be an A movie right?

I was straight up rolling in my chair laughing. Most fun I've had at the theaters all year. Top 3 movie of the year. I can't quite deiced yet but its between Wolf, Slave, and Before Midnight. 

I will say this, I need to do more drugs. 

A (95)

• Like 1

I really don't even have words for this movie. Its fucking awesome. Any film that says fuck over 500 times has to be an A movie right?I was straight up rolling in my chair laughing. Most fun I've had at the theaters all year. Top 3 movie of the year. I can't quite deiced yet but its between Wolf, Slave, and Before Midnight. I will say this, I need to do more drugs. A (95)

Yes. More drugs for all.
  • Like 1

Who googled Quelludes after the movie?

I've heard of them, but this was me after the movie

Posted Image

I'm not a recreational drug user at all, but even I have to admit I wanna go into Cerebral Palsy state.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 4

Oh , I want to crawl to my car too, crash as I drive home and then get arrested for driving.  

Of course, I need a 100 mill in my bank account first.

Lol, I just wanna lay there mostly lifeless speaking incomprehensibly, not go out and endanger other people's lives...especially since I'm Asian, and we're terrible drivers.

• Like 4

I don't see why conservatives are freaking about The Wolf of Wall Street being a bad influence or something, like literally it's a life lesson of, "If you did this and weren't this one lucky bastard you'd be dead right now."

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

Well, this was...hm.

I'll start with the positives. DiCaprio really is fantastic, and this is coming from someone who thinks his standing on the Internet is immensely overblown. Several times I have found him to be merely serviceable in roles that others have praised him to high heaven for. Here, however, he goes all in in a way that I have never seen from him before. Between this and Django, it seems clear (to me at least) that DiCaprio should have been playing these sorts of slapstick villains all along. I wouldn't quite give him "best performance of the year" status (I'd put Blanchett, Exarchopoulos, and Ejiofor ahead of him), but he certainly deserves a lead actor nomination (although I have yet to see several contenders).

The rest of the cast is also a pleasure to watch. Jonah Hill proved to me for the first time that he might actually have acting talent after all, and Margot Robbie has several excellent scenes as well. McConaughey and Dujardin are great in their small roles, and nobody really sticks out as a weak link.

That said, the stellar performances are the only reason I did not totally loathe this film. For much of its completely unmerited 3 hour runtime, I felt as though I was watching Scorsese lose his mind and devolve into self-parody. I can't totally blame him, however, since the script is a meandering mess that no director could have possibly turned into anything more than an adequate final product. A full hour could have been removed from this film and absolutely nothing would have been lost in terms of either narrative or entertainment value. There are, to be fair, a few genuinely hilarious moments in this film--McConaughey's scene and Belfort's exchange with the FBI agent come to mind--but these are more than undercut by the far more numerous scenes that neither advanced the plot nor amused me in any way whatsoever. I suppose I should have known what I was getting into when the film began with a dwarf being tossed, but things really only went downhill from there.

I'm sure someone will say that I have a stick up my ass or that I need to "lighten up," but I have no problems with raunchy/offensive humor if it's executed well. There is nothing clever about most of the humor in this film, however. It's simply scene after scene of puerile fratboy idiocy that loses whatever comedic potential it may have had about 5 minutes into the film. One might say that Scorsese is trying to make a point about excess and the depravity of the 1%, but excess really only makes an impression if we're given something to compare it to. Not only was I not amused by any of the countless scenes involving sexual violence or drug abuse, but I wasn't really repulsed or offended by them either; I was simply bored, waiting to see if this story had any sort of destination at all.

Things improve slightly when the story actually begins to progress--a solid 2 hours into the film--but we're still forced to endure cliched nonsense like the shipwreck scene and, of course, one last Quaalude scene, another mildly funny premise that Scorsese milks far past its worth. The story that the film has to tell isn't particularly captivating either--we've seen it before, and it's no different from hundreds of other Wall Street slimeball narratives.

Finally, the misogyny in this film cannot be ignored. Certain people here are going to tell me that I'm hypersensitive or overly politically correct or whatever, but the attitude toward women here is harsh even by Scorsese's standards. I mean, Belfort literally rapes his wife at the end of the film, but the viewer is supposed to think little of this since she suddenly is okay with it because it's "the last time."

I will emphasize that I did not actually despise this film as much as I easily could have. There were a few points at which I almost completely lost interest in the film but my attention was quickly drawn back to the screen thanks to the animated performances. I will also give one last compliment to editor Thelma Schoonmaker, because the film went by rather quickly for a 3 hour bloatfest that had little actual narrative to tell.

5.5/10, C/C+

Edited by Sims
  • Like 1