fmpro

Christmas Day numbers | Bilbo leads

All numbers so far

[*]

Xmas Day Box Office contd: #6 '47 Ronin' $6.3M opening despite $200M budget. Disaster was expected. Universal already took the writedown.

[*]

Xmas Day Box Office contd: #4 another tie. Ben Stiller's 'Mitty' $7.5M with 'B+' Cinemascore even with expanded 'American Hustle'.

[*]

Xmas Day Box Office contd: #3 Will Ferrell's 'Anchorman 2' $8M-$8.1M. Cume now $56M.

[*]

Xmas Day Box Office: #1 tie? Scorsese/DiCaprio's 'Wolf Of Wall Street' $9M-$9.5M but shocker 'C' Cinemascore. Even with 'Hobbit 2: Smaug'.

[*]

Christmas Day Box Office: Bigger than expected starting with matinees and continuing early evening. Results later tonight.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

That's good for Mitty, to be honest. Especially considering the shit its been given in the past few weeks... That cinema score was totally expected for Wolf, to be honest. It's everything but a Christmas movie.

That opening for Mitty and the fact that it's rated PG, the only movie with Frozen to be rated that during this Christmas, means 70M+ DOM is pretty much assured.

so top 10 could be

1. Wolf   9,3

2. Smaug   8,5

3. Anchor   8,1

4. Hustle  7,5

5. Mitty 7,5

6. Ronin 6,3

7. Frozen 6,0

8. Banks 5,2

9. Grudge 4,0

10. ?

10 could be either Madea or Catching Fire...

Grudge Match looks like 40-45 mill total.. Not a total disaster but not great. Hopes for great OS numbers..Huge comback for Anchor 2.. Huge succes and should finish in the 125 mill zone. Maybe more..Smaug's having a good hold and starting to close gap to Hobbit. Wont do it though completely.Ronin well. Trainwreck we all knew, but still a better number than i expected..Mitty made a okey number and could reach 100 mill with great legs if it is a crowdpleaser

Edited by fmproHoHoo

Grudge Match looks like 40-45 mill total.. Not a total disaster but not great. Hopes for great OS numbers..Huge comback for Anchor 2.. Huge succes and should finish in the 125 mill zone. Maybe more..Smaug's having a good hold and starting to close gap to Hobbit. Wont do it though completely.Ronin well. Trainwreck we all knew, but still a better number than i expected..Mitty made a okey number and could reach 100 mill with great legs if it is a crowdpleaser

Mitty depends on its second weekend. It either follows War Horse, which would be weird cause that's not really a family movie, or It could follow Cheaper by the Dozen, which also would be extremely surprising, mainly because that movie had some amazing legs. My bet is on 100M somewhat assured, considering it's a family friendly movie and probably a crowd pleaser... I mean, if Grown Ups 2 managed to gross that much despite being what it was, this should be a master piece.

Mitty depends on its second weekend. It either follows War Horse, which would be weird cause that's not really a family movie, or It could follow Cheaper by the Dozen, which also would be extremely surprising, mainly because that movie had some amazing legs. My bet is on 100M somewhat assured, considering it's a family friendly movie and probably a crowd pleaser... I mean, if Grown Ups 2 managed to gross that much despite being what it was, this should be a master piece.

I liked Grown Ups 2 :PI know i know :). Its a flaw
  • Like 5

The cinemascore in this case, as with every case, means nothing.  If they interviewed a bunch of geriatrics coming out of the theater after Wolf, then I have no doubt they hated it.  If they had come to my theater and interviewed people, it would have been completely different.  

As for Grudge Match being a "why did they bother?" film, Nikki obviously has no idea how multipliers work, does she?

These numbers seem really just pulled out of her ass again.  I'll wait for RTH.

Edited by Christmas baumer
  • Like 1

Everyone's got some. I loved The Lovely Bones and it's one of my all time favorite... This thread is strangely empty...

Yeah. Thats a bit strange. Its CD for christ sake.
  • Like 1

The cinemascore in this case, as with every case, means nothing.  If they interviewed a bunch of geriatrics coming out of the theater then I have no doubt they hated it.

As for Grudge Match being a "why did they bother?" film, Nikki obviously has no idea how multipliers work, does she?

These numbers seem really just pulled out of her ass again.  I'll wait for RTH.

Still, you can somehow count on the cinema score. I doubt they were that lucky (or unlucky, call it whatever you want) to interview the minority of people who disliked the movie. Yes, maybe they were lucky with 1 or 2 people, but I still think Wolf is gonna crash and burn over Christmas. Just not the type of movie to be released during Christmas. It's a wonder it opened as high as it did, but I think it's mostly from Scorsese-DiCaprio factor, not for what it is. We'll see how it behaves over the next few days, that should give us a general idea to where the movie is actually headed, but I'm saying it's heading down without a way back up.

The cinemascore in this case, as with every case, means nothing.  If they interviewed a bunch of geriatrics coming out of the theater after Wolf, then I have no doubt they hated it.  If they had come to my theater and interviewed people, it would have been completely different. As for Grudge Match being a "why did they bother?" film, Nikki obviously has no idea how multipliers work, does she? These numbers seem really just pulled out of her ass again.  I'll wait for RTH.

I really hope that wolf and grudge goes up.Rth said he was buisy today. Dont expect anything

Here are the increases based on Nikki's numbers.

1. Wolf   9,3 - Nope.

2. Smaug   8,5 - 61%

3. Anchor   8,1 - 189%

4. Hustle  7,5 - 158%

5. Mitty 7,5 - Nope.

6. Ronin 6,3 - Nope.

7. Frozen 6,0 - 25%

8. Banks 5,2 - 171%

9. Grudge 4,0 - Nope

• Like 2

Still, you can somehow count on the cinema score. I doubt they were that lucky (or unlucky, call it whatever you want) to interview the minority of people who disliked the movie. Yes, maybe they were lucky with 1 or 2 people, but I still think Wolf is gonna crash and burn over Christmas. Just not the type of movie to be released during Christmas. It's a wonder it opened as high as it did, but I think it's mostly from Scorsese-DiCaprio factor, not for what it is. We'll see how it behaves over the next few days, that should give us a general idea to where the movie is actually headed, but I'm saying it's heading down without a way back up.

No, you can't count on cinemascore.  There are countless films that get an A- cinemascore that crash and burn and in this case, you have a Christmas Day crowd going to see a movie.  If you just thought it was a Leo DiCaprio film and really had no idea what you were getting yourself into, and you see a bunch of coke snorting and orgies, chances are you aren't going to like it very much.  But interview a different crowd at a different theater (one or two theaters is not a true sample size) then you'll probably get different reactions.