Neo

Despicable Me 3 | June 30, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 9

10 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Yeah, right. Like saying both Dreamworks & BlueSky aren't good either.

Lol, give me a break. :rofl:

Dreamworks, Blue Sky, Warner Animation, Laika, Sony Animation and even Paramount/Nickelodeon have all done at least two films that is fantastic or A level imo. Illumination has one and that's Sing and that's an A-. DM1 and DM2 are solid Bs and everything else is mediocre to trash.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

And this is the funny thing: Nobody can seriously claim that his or hers subjective opinion is more right than anyone others. So i think we need objective instruments and arguments to talk about the quality of films. For me, one of them is the critical reception and in that regard, Pixar and WDA are a lot better than Illumination.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

And this is the funny thing: Nobody can seriously claim that his or hers subjective opinion is more right than anyone others. So i think we need objective instruments and arguments to talk about the quality of films. For me, one of them is the critical reception and in that regard, Pixar and WDA are a lot better than Illumination.

Sure, it might be objective to say that other movies have higher ratings on rotten tomatoes, but why is it important to have objective instruments?

11 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Yeah, right. Like saying both Dreamworks & BlueSky aren't any good either.

Lol, give me a break. :rofl:

Except literally nobody is saying that.

8 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I don't think that's the  case but even If it is,

Doesn't he have the right to?

You seem so willing to share your opinion and at the same time you are not respecting what the others have to say.

Oh he has every right to, but it's such an outlandish thing to say like how PG rated movies can't be deep. MANY PG movies are deep, especially before PG-13 was invented.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Sure, it might be objective to say that other movies have higher ratings on rotten tomatoes, but why is it important to have objective instruments?

I just think its good to have credible sources to determine whether or not a movie really deserves to be declared a masterpiece or trainwreck. Otherwise everyone could claim that Minions was the best animated film of 2015 and people who (sry, Minions-fans) know better wouldnt have ways to back up their arguments why something like Inside Out is far ahead in quality. Without things like RT, Metacritic or generally the opinions of people who really know what makes a good film, the line between good and mediocre would diminish and online discussions would be even more toxic imo.

• Like 1

Just now, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Except the Dreamworks-haters & the BlueSky-haters only. :redcapes:

WrathOfHan liked Boss Baby and I'm going on a limb here and guessing a few others.

• Like 1

For example, one of my favourite Youtubers made an in-depth review of Sing and gives good reason why he hates this movie and Illumination in general. Despite his channels name he isnt a mindless hater, he uses arguments like the art of the animation, the character arcs, the editing or the setting as to why the films sucks in his opinion. And i respect every opinion on a movie if one can give good reasons why he/she likes or dont likes a film. I could never take a sentence like "I love Movie A, its so much better than Movie B" serious as a review because of the absence of arguments. 

https://youtu.be/EBe1hXRNi4g

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, James said:

You know what I find funny? The fact that some people here state 'Pixar being quality' as a FACT. LMAO. It is about taste. Pixar made only one truly great film so far imo. The fact that you like them means only that. If you bring me the critic argument, which means a majority likes it, then I will bring you the money argument. DM is the biggest animation franchise in history on a WW level. And like it or not, Minions had some insane legs OS. And yeah, SLOP is the best animation of last year and one of the best ever. As an adult, it kept me entertained as hell (which most animated films cannot do) and appealed to the animal lover in me. Illumination truly is the smartest studio out there. You know why? Because generally speaking, american animations (I call the  that to differentiate them from animes, where the true quality lies) are made for kids. You can't expect parents or adults in general to be as entertained by an animation as the kids. So you appeal to them by bringing in universal values: humor, love for animals etc. 

Like it or not, western animations can't treat deep themes  too well, simply because they have to keep their rating and they have to make everything understandable by kids. Saying Pixar makes deep movies is hilarious.    

zootopia says hi

Edited by CoolK
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

WrathOfHan liked Boss Baby and I'm going on a limb here and guessing a few others.

True. I wasn't necessarily taking about WrarhofHan. But more like other fewer people.

Who else liked/loved Boss Baby? It would be fun to hear some positive thoughts about that film.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

For real. Illumination movies are too inoffensive for anybody to get riled up about.

Like seriously. SLOP, Sing, and the first two DMs are fine. That not amazing, but not awful.

Minions is bad, and Lorax is only redeemable because of DeVito

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

I just think its good to have credible sources to determine whether or not a movie really deserves to be declared a masterpiece or trainwreck. Otherwise everyone could claim that Minions was the best animated film of 2015 and people who (sry, Minions-fans) know better wouldnt have ways to back up their arguments why something like Inside Out is far ahead in quality. Without things like RT, Metacritic or generally the opinions of people who really know what makes a good film, the line between good and mediocre would diminish and online discussions would be even more toxic imo.

No, the sources really don't tell you why it's good or not...YOU DO.  Discuss the movie and its merits - what themes does it explore, how does it explore them, were the characters deep or cliches, how was the animation, the soundtrack, the humor, the concept, etc...

No one needs a critic to say that SLOP had one of the best 1st 10 minutes of an animated movie last year...and then it jumped the rails into a lesser movie than it could have been.  Not a bad one, but not as rip-roaringly funny, or even delivering of the concept of "secret life" after grown ups leave...you can see the movie yourself and know it...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1