Neo

Despicable Me 3 | June 30, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 9

You know what guys. Sometimes it is very difficult for us that live outside America to see how you guys are thinking in US.

DM3 is performing exceptionally well OS.

It pulled the biggest OD for Illumination in a number of countries counting UK and Brazil. China pre sales are great with some talking about $100m plus.

The floor is $600m OS.

Franchise fatigue is so apparent only in US.

I was talking with what I was feeling with people around me and I wasn't wrong.

My mistake probably was that I thought Americans were thinking the same.

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

You know what guys. Sometimes it is very difficult for us that live outside America to see how you guys are thinking in US.

It pulled the biggest OD for Illumination in a number of countries counting UK and Brazil. China pre sales are great with some talking about $100m plus.

The floor is $600m OS.

I was talking with what I was feeling with people around me and I wasn't sure.

And movies are no longer made, for the most part, for just one market.  They are made for global audiences.  So sure, it will drop in NA, but internationally it will be a big hit.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, baumer said:

And movies are no longer made, for the most part, for just one market.  They are made for global audiences.  So sure, it will drop in NA, but internationally it will be a big hit.

It is gonna do better numbers OS than any superheroe film so far this year, better than Rogue One, Finding Dory...............

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

It is gonna do better numbers OS than any superheroe film so far this year, better than Rogue One, Finding Dory...............

Interesting.  So with the increased China numbers, it has a chance to match DM2's overseas take.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

The floor is $600m OS.

I was talking with what I was feeling with people around me and I wasn't wrong.

Fair enough. I'm not against people hoping for a big success but you don't need to put other people's views down to do so.

The DM franchise at this point is probably going to fade out in an "Ice Age" sort of way barring some Fast/Apes style creative revolution. Probably see at least another 3-4 movies before it stops becoming financially viable whether it's because of the movies themselves or Sing/Pets become more profitable.

• Like 2

I'm so lost trying to figure out OS market.

I understood that OS market typically goes for animated films with silly/stupid humor and being funny is FAR more important than ground breaking storytelling.  That's totally understandable and Minions, DM2 and Pets definitely tapped into that.

But DM3 isn't crowd pleasing like the previous efforts.  It's slow, boring and unfunny.  That's a cardinal sin for this type of films target audience.

Its just not very good!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@FantasticBeasts

Trey Parker said something that you probably like

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-despicable-me-trey-parker-20170630-htmlstory.html

Do you watch many animated kids’ movies?

Now that my daughter is almost 4, I’ve seen every kids’ movie there is three times. Some of them are so great. The Illumination stuff is so visual and so cartoony. It’s not what I lovingly call “Ameritrash,” where it’s all about: what was the point and what did the character learn?

We just saw “The Good Dinosaur.” Dude, that movie is like — what’s the movie about the guy who got raped by a bear?

You mean “The Revenant”?

Yeah, “The Revenant” — it’s that heavy. One horrible thing after another happens. It is sad after sad after sad and you’re crying the whole time, and you’re like, “Who the ... made this movie?”

These Illumination movies are the polar opposite of that. We’re not going to be crying. We’re just going to go have some fun. It’s a ride and it’s just about what’s funny. And I appreciate that.

Although it's probably in his contract to say nice things about Illumination. :P

• Like 1

I'd be interested in Parker / Stone making their own kids movie. Their adult work is optimistic at heart and they know how to keep a brisk pace. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to tone down their humor and language to a PG rating.

50 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'd be interested in Parker / Stone making their own kids movie. Their adult work is optimistic at heart and they know how to keep a brisk pace. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to tone down their humor and language to a PG rating.

They almost did a PG Kaiju parody movie, but Team America burnt them out

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Planodisney said:

I'm so lost trying to figure out OS market.

I understood that OS market typically goes for animated films with silly/stupid humor and being funny is FAR more important than ground breaking storytelling.  That's totally understandable and Minions, DM2 and Pets definitely tapped into that.

But DM3 isn't crowd pleasing like the previous efforts.  It's slow, boring and unfunny.  That's a cardinal sin for this type of films target audience.

Its just not very good!!!

Why? So you can wish almost every Disney & Pixar-films to gross more than every other Non-Disney/Pixar animated film? I know you're more of a Pixar/Disney fan (hence your username)....but you can't force people to avoid this one because you thought it was unfunny. It's like someone saying a Dreamworks-sequel or a BlueSky-sequel is unfunny because it's not as smart and ground-breaking as a Pixar-film. It's just ludacris and bullshit.

OS-people just like these kinds if animated films. Heck, BlueSky's Ice Age 3 & Ice Age 4's OS-grosses are still higher than all the Pixar-films.

If you don't like this film....fine, more power to ya....but don't expect everyone else to agree with you. Everyone has their opinions, you know.

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Why? So you can wish almost every Disney & Pixar-films to gross more than every other Non-Disney/Pixar animated film? I know you're more of a Pixar/Disney fan (hence your username)....but you can't force people to avoid this one because you thought it was unfunny. It's like someone saying a Dreamworks-sequel or a BlueSky-sequel is unfunny because it's not as smart and ground-breaking as a Pixar-film. It's just ludacris and bullshit.

OS-people just like these kinds if animated films. Heck, BlueSky's Ice Age 3 & Ice Age 4's OS-grosses are still higher than all the Pixar-films.

If you don't like this film....fine, more power to ya....but don't expect everyone else to agree with you. Everyone has their opinions, you know.

The same applies to you.

• Like 2

If you actually like the movie you have the right to defend it intelligently, but enough with all this self-righteous and condescending BS about "hurr, opinions". I've yet to see anyone attacking this movie's detractors actually provide a compelling argument for it being a good film.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2