Neo

Despicable Me 3 | June 30, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 9

Ok...

DM1 did $543M WW....then DM2 increased to $970M WW.....and then Minions increased to $1.157B WW.

DM2 did $52M in China....and Minions did a bit better than that with $68M from China.

I bet DM3 could do around......... over $100-150M in China....maybe? If they release it on a better date and market it better. And WW, overall could be 1.2-1.3B WW.

2 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Ok...

DM1 did $543M WW....then DM2 increased to $970M WW.....and then Minions increased to $1.157B WW.

DM2 did $52M in China....and Minions did a bit better than that with $68M from China.

I bet DM3 could do around......... over $100-150M in China....maybe? If they release it on a better date and market it better. And WW, overall could be 1.2-1.3B WW.

DM3 will not do 100M+ in China. Probably somewhere between 80-90M.

40 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

DM3 will not do 100M+ in China. Probably somewhere between 80-90M.

It's 2017, then. And we can't be exact of how it will do. Keep in mind...Chinese grosses are very unpredictable. And the markets will have grown by then.

You can't say what it will or will not do....cause it's very uncertain. :P

With that said, it'll still do over $1B WW....Since Cars 3 ain't gonna be too much for it.

And also...Universal could go overdrive with the marketing since...these minions are everywhere now. Never underestimate the power of the DM-franchise. :lol:

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

On 1‏/12‏/2015 at 11:41 AM, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Ok...

DP has one major problem. Minions fatigue. If people get bored of these little bastards. The movie will not be able to cross 1B. Universal should focus on doing good job with the story and put the bat high with all the competition from Disney, WB Lego animation, Pixar and ....

• Like 2

I think Minions fatigue is a good point but several factors make me confident in the prospects of DM3:

1. Minions retained 91% of DM2 and did not drop off like Shrek 3 or even Puss in Boots domestically

2. Minions holds in the last 6 weeks of its release were quite good indicating OK repeat business

3. Minions did around 5 times its OW overseas and unlike BVS it didn't collapse except in 2 or 3 markets which indicates positive reception

4. DM2 is very well liked so the presence of Gru and the girls and with the correct marketing should make this a sequel to DM2 more than a continuation of the less liked domestically but well liked overseas: Minions

5. Lack of animation competition in summer 2017 with Toy Story 4 out of the way.

6. And mostly the great release date - June 30, ie Minions will have 8 holiday days in its first 10 days so the first 10 day gross will be big - this should help it reach a good gross relatively faster.

The above makes me think 950-1.1B has a good chance of happening.

I think Uni knows how to market this and I have a feeling they will go 60% Minions and 40% Gru on this one in the US trailers and more like 80% Minions in the international markets, especially in the POS and outdoors. I remember they did this with DM2, here all what we got were minions posters only, no gru, no girls nothing. I think they'll do just fine with their savvy marketing.

When Minions was announced, no one expected 1.1B and I think it all comes down to how they pulled the right strings. DM3 requires the same and some different strings, but I think it'll do very well.

Interestingly this is the only non Disney animated release to have a 1B WW shot in 2017 and presumably in 2016-2018 unless Ice Age 5 crossed 1B which may happen depending on how OS goes.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, leatherjacket said:

DP has one major problem. Minions fatigue. If people get bored of these little bastards. The movie will not be able to cross 1B. Universal should focus on doing good job with the story and put the bat high with all the competition from Disney, WB Lego animation, Pixar and ....

True....some adults may not tolerate the minions.....but you forgot one factor.....Kids. The kids will always like the Minions.

And about the fourth film-fatigue......well, we had some fourth-quels that made tons of money, WW-wise, regardless, POTC4, TF4, IA4...etc. And those franchises are still going and releasing their fifth entries. Why?....because their fourthquels made most of their money OS-wise.

Don't be surprised if a certain successful franchise keeps going....just for the sake of saving a studio.

Actually, the DM-franchise is more than just the Minions-schtick. The charm of Gru and the girls.

But i have to admit, there are other animated franchises from other animation-studios that can make better well-thought stories without relying on being too joke-oriented. KFP, HTTYD.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 2

A comparison between "Minions" and "Despicable Me" based on the quality of the script is a heresy: a good history against the "nothingness"
However I agree with MinaTakla: The Minions have proven to be a very strong worldwide brand, (At this time in licensing area, among animated brands, it is the most requested after Frozen) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I think this franchise has peaked. There's a limit to how far great marketing can take you if your movies are just a bunch of random jokes without any depth.

I think there are things about Despicable Me that can be explored. What about Gru's adopted daughters?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think there are things about Despicable Me that can be explored. What about Gru's adopted daughters?

DP has two brands: Gru voiced wonderfully by Stve Carell and the Minions. If they dont come up with a great story. DM3 will do less than DP2.

Look just at the Ice Age domestic box office. It is getting lower every time. Because the studio only want profit regardless the quality. I am afraid that Illumination is running out of ideas, we will have more image after the release of Pets and Song.

• Like 1

I feel DM3 will do just fine. Mininos will be in the movie in their supporting roles and Carell will lead with his brilliance.

I see 300m+/700m+/1b+. People are always short of humorous entertainment and comic relief from an established franchise goes a long way.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

There is potential for depth, but Illumination doesn't seem interested in exploring it

I don't think that's fair. The first Despicable Me had something to it.

And The Secret Life of Pets might be hiding something.

• Like 1