kayumanggi

Weekend #s | SAT (12.28.2013) 10.5 M TH: TDOS | 09.7 M - 10.0 M FROZEN | 07.4 M AM ll | 07.2 M AH

Sure, but wouldn't that apply to all films?  

If Hobbit skews more adult, you could make an argument that there were more adults working yesterday and thus didn't have time to see a movie until night time. I worked yesterday. Meanwhile, all kids are out of school. Though someone has to take them...

I don't buy the Hobbit winning either, but it's a conceivable point.

• Like 1

Is CF gonna hit $400M?

Likely 410-415 + now.

We always underestimate late legs for films.

I think many thought IM3 would not hit 400 million it made 409 million in the end. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

If Hobbit skews more adult, you could make an argument that there were more adults working yesterday and thus didn't have time to see a movie until night time. I worked yesterday. Meanwhile, all kids are out of school. Though someone has to take them...

Ok, thanks.  I guess that makes some sense.

Yeah most kids need an adult to take them to the movie, I don't see how the Hobbit wins this.

• Like 1

That would be my thought as well.  It just seems that it's an even playing field as far as increases go this weekend.

I just hit 15K posts!!!!!!!!!! Awesome time to follow one of the best BO runs I've ever seen.  :D

congrats!

& welcome to the forums, the guy with the Smaug icon! go & see the movie in the theater tho.

Edited by Tauriel

That would be my thought as well.  It just seems that it's an even playing field as far as increases go this weekend.

I'm actually expecting sub 10% Sunday drop for Frozen. It has held tremendously on each Sunday so far. In fact, Disney has always underestimated the Sunday number. I think it wins by about a 1M-1.5M over DOS. 

• Like 1

No it's not. It's a big problem.

It's not as big a problem as some make it out to be.

Saying a movie will now drop like a rock because some dvd copy found its way on the internet can't be farther from the truth. That stuff happens all the time and there is no proof whatsoever about that having any effect on box office. The majority of people who download would not have seen it in theaters anyway.

Probably going to be very, very close either way, but in the past when the calendar has lined up similarly (2002, 2007, 2012), this is one of those rare weekends where films aimed at adults hold up slightly better than films aimed at families on SAT/SUN.  Prob. due to some people going back to work on FRI, while hardly any kids will go back to school that day.

Edited by JarJarBinks
  • Like 2

The Hobbit 2 is really holding up well now after a disappointing start

Anyone who has been following the box office knew the film would recover and remain the top choice for adults. 

The new X-mas films have limited appeal. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

The Hobbit 2 is really holding up well now after a disappointing start

This is the fun part about tracking the box office.  Before DOS opened, many were hoping for 300.  Then it opened softer than most thought it would and the doom and gloom came out.  Now that it is on track to gross about 270, suddenly that is a great number.   :wiggle: