The Panda

I propose a new version of Godwin's Law for Box Office Forums

I've noticed in a lot of threads it's nearly impossible for a conversation about movies to go on without somebody eventually comparing the movie to The Dark Knight Rises.

For those who don't know, Godwin's Law states

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

So I now propose, Panda's Law

"The longer a discussion about movies grows, the probability of a comparison involving The Dark Knight Rises or Man of Steel approaches 1."

• Like 4

I've noticed in a lot of threads it's nearly impossible for a conversation about movies to go on without somebody eventually comparing the movie to The Dark Knight Rises.

For those who don't know, Godwin's Law states

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

So I now propose, Panda's Law

"The longer a discussion about movies grows, the probability of a comparison involving The Dark Knight Rises or Man of Steel approaches 1."

Actually, I would say "The longer a discussion about movies grows, the probability of a Marvel/DC flamewar arising is 1" (yes, not approaches, but is an absolute)

• Like 2

Actually, I would say "The longer a discussion about movies grows, the probability of a Marvel/DC flamewar arising is 1" (yes, not approaches, but is an absolute)

It's a good one, but people compare anything to TDKR or Man of Steel, literally Catching Fire got compared.  There was even a thread that was Return of the Jedi vs Temple of Doom and somebody still brought up TDKR as a comparison.

I think I even saw people comparing Frozen to TDKR.

It's a good one, but people compare anything to TDKR or Man of Steel, literally Catching Fire got compared.  There was even a thread that was Return of the Jedi vs Temple of Doom and somebody still brought up TDKR as a comparison.

This is the year Man of Steel was released though. It makes sense that it will come up a lot this year if it was divisive. I'd see if that lasts before I make it a rule that MOS will come up if a conversation goes long.

Actually a TDKR comparison makes sense in all of those, apart from Frozen.

ROTJ vs Temple of Doom is comparing 2 movies in a trilogy which are considered not as great as a different movie in the trilogy i.e. TDK and TDKR. Logical and makes sense.

Catching Fire was compared because of its OW being so close to TDKR's 2D record which it was expected to easily break but fell under by a bit and then Lionsgate fudged the estimates. So even there it makes perfect sense.

I haven't seen Frozen compared yet.

On the other hand, a Marvel/DC flamewar erupts everywhere.

Edited by grim22

Actually a TDKR comparison makes sense in all of those, apart from Frozen.

ROTJ vs Temple of Doom is comparing 2 movies in a trilogy which are considered not as great as a different movie in the trilogy i.e. TDK and TDKR. Logical and makes sense.

Catching Fire was compared because of its OW being so close to TDKR's 2D record which it was expected to easily break but fell under by a bit and then Lionsgate fudged the estimates. So even there it makes perfect sense.

I haven't seen Frozen compared yet.

On the other hand, a Marvel/DC flamewar erupts everywhere.

I see TDKR comparisons to almost every movie, or it's at least mentioned in every thread.  

Marvel/DC flamewars only erupt in threads pertaining to Marvel/DC movies.

I think arbitrarily, we should make Godfather Part III as the movie that comes up in every thread just because.

I mean, everybody can make fun of Sofia Coppola's acting, right? It's like THE Talia scene except the whole movie.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 4

Look it simple MOS is talked about in each thread as it was a very very divisive film.

Other love it others said it was terribile.

TDKR arguement is three groups.

A. Loved it no complaints.

B. Loved it by did not like A,b,c,d,e (I fall here)

C. Hate on the film 

Look it simple MOS is talked about in each thread as it was a very very divisive film. Other love it others said it was terribile. TDKR arguement is three groups. A. Loved it no complaints.B. Loved it by did not like A,b,c,d,e (I fall here)C. Hate on the film

But they don't need to be brought into every thread
  • Like 1