Fullbuster

The Lego Movie (2014) OS Thread

$135,600,000

megaflop numbers, less than the first two market of frozen (SK 76 + UK 65 = $143M)

35% of OS numbers from UK ($48M), no other market over $10M, only four over $5M, disaster in SK

also in this week near -50% drop DOM and in UK

500m WW is far far away

megaflop numbers, less than the first two market of frozen (SK 76 + UK 65 = $143M)

35% of OS numbers from UK ($48M), no other market over $10M, only four over $5M, disaster in SK

also in this week near -50% drop DOM and in UK

500m WW is far far away

It's not a megaflop. Or even a flop. Or even a disappointment. Or even just expected. It only seems that way in the context of the DOM numbers. If was looking like it was going to finish around 150m DOM, the OS number would be great, since it'll probably skirt close to 200m. The film was maybe expected to do a bit over 300 million. The fact its going to end up well above 400m is a great result.

• Like 1

The lego movie failed in korea primarily because of disagreements between WB and 2 of the 3 major local distributing chains. DoS faced the same problem. 300 RoaE sorted out the disagreements and as a result it's doing well (#1 at sk box office)

Latin American numbers are surprisingly weak

Almost every non-English speaking market for it is weak or pathetic. Pop culture indifference.

For an animation that grosses 250m+ DOM, one would expect at least 300m OS in today's global market status. It is not going to have a decent dom/os ratio.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

Almost every non-English speaking market for it is weak or pathetic. Pop culture indifference.

For an animation that grosses 250m+ DOM, one would expect at least 300m OS in today's global market status. It is not going to have a decent dom/os ratio.

I think Lego Movie is the most overrated animated since Shrek (the most overrated ever, as for me), especially in North America (Rotten Tomatoes 98% positive and "A" Cinemascore), my first word after seeing it in my country, was "boring", a point of view shared by most of the audience. Domestically they have no direct competition for a long time, but in the Mr P&S opening weekend suffers a -50% drop (frozen -19%). Also the LM run can not be considered as 'original release': the brand "lego" is widely know, as some of the characters who appear in the movie.

• Like 3

I think the most important reason why the legomovie failed was because of in europe it was all dubbed, and really seeing the movie in dutch sucks, so in europe they don't attrack jong adults or adult. 

And the markething wasn't great here in Belgium. The most of my friends don't even know there exist something as a lego movie XD
Edited by pepsa

I think the most important reason why the legomovie failed was because of in europe it was all dubbed, and really seeing the movie in dutch sucks, so in europe they don't attrack jong adults or adult. And the markething wasn't great here in Belgium. The most of my friends don't even know there exist something as a lego movie XD

The most importan reason is that Lego is boring in all the languages in the world.In Usa it was strongly overrated by critics, and had benefits by the big moment of animation due to 'frozen effect' (also nut job overperformed). Many people going to see frozen three, four or five times and so see lego trailer (or nut job trailer) three, four or five times Edited by edroger