19. Braveheart

20. American Beauty

21. Unforgiven

22. Chariots of Fire

23. Argo Fuck Yourself

24. A Beautiful Mind

25. Gone with the Wind

• Like 1

My top 25 go ahead and make fun of it tele and coolio1. Lotr- the return of the king2. Gladiator 3. The Godfather 4. No Country for Old Men5. Forrest Gump6. The Departed7. Schindlers List8. Casablanca 9. American Beauty10. Rocky11. The Godfather II12. Silence of the Lambs 13. A Beautiful Mind14. One Who a Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest15. Million Dollar Baby16. Rain Man17. Chicago18. Braveheart19. Platoon20. The Hurt Locker21. Unforgiven22. Titanic 23. Kramer vs Kramer24. Slumdog Millionaire25. Gone with the Wind

• Like 1

My 5 worst best picture winners are:

2) Annie Hall (an okay film but a horrible best picture winner)

3) Ordinary People (not only was there better films nominated for best picture but Empire Strikes Back wasn't and that is 1000X the movie that OP is).

4) Chicago ( an absolute travesty that this was nominated let alone won, The Pianist is heads and shoulders better)

5) Shakespeare In Love (this is too easy, not going to even make a comment on why SPR should have won)

QFT!

• Like 2

1. The Bridge on the River Kwai2. Casablanca3. The Godfather Part II4. Schindler’s List5. The Godfather6. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest7. Lawrence of Arabia8. Rebecca9. The French Connection10. Unforgiven11. Platoon12. On the Waterfront13. Patton14. The Sting15. All Quiet on the Western Front16. A Man for All Seasons17. No Country for Old Men18. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King19. Mutiny on the Bounty20. In the Heat of the Night21. The Departed22. Gladiator23. The Silence of the Lambs24. The Deer Hunter25. The Hurt Locker

• Like 2

My Top 25:

1.The Godfather

2.The Godfather Part II

3.Gladiator

4.Titanic

5.The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

6.Rocky

7.Schindler's List

8.The Silence of the Lambs

9.The Sting

10.Unforgiven

11.Forrest Gump

12.Argo

13.Casablanca

14.The Sound of Music

15.Braveheart

16.One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

17.Dances With Wolves

18.The Departed

19.No Country For Old Men

20.A Beautiful Mind

21.The French Connection

22.The Artist

23.Slumdog Millionaire

24.The Deer Hunter

25.Kramer vs. Kramer

• Like 1

The Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan thing is just one of the most ridiculous things I have seen in pop culture.

If there was every any doubt that the Weinsteins buy off the academy, then SIL confirmed it.  If anyone had forgotten about that incident, then they were reminded of it again in 2008 when one of the worst films of the year, The Reader, was nominated and TDK wasn't.

Edited by Christmas baumer
  • Like 1

Exactly.

If there was every any doubt that the Weinsteins buy off the academy, then SIL put it to rest.  If anyone had forgotten about that incident, then they were reminded of it again in 2008 when one of the worst films of the year, The Reader, was nominated and TDK wasn't.

The Dark Knight has the legacy of being the film that expanded the nominee list.  And TDK should have won best picture easily imo.

• Like 3

The Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan thing is just one of the most ridiculous things I have seen in pop culture.

I have a sister who still insists that SIL deserved to win to this day. She's like the only one on Earth I know that does. :P

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

My list, though I've only seen a little under half of the BP winners.

1. LOTR2. The Godfather3. Schindler's List4. On the Waterfront5. The Godfather II6. All About Eve7. The Departed8. Lawrence of Arabia9. Amadeus10. Casablanca11. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest12. Forrest Gump13. American Beauty14. The Apartment15. Slumdog Millionaire16. It Happened One Night17. The Sting18. Unforgiven19. Gladiator20. Braveheart21. Rebecca22. Ghandi23. The Silence of the Lambs24. The Sound of Music25. The King's Speech

Top 5 Worst:1. Driving Miss Daisy (You know this wasn't too horrible for a Lifetime movie. What's that you say? It was released in theaters? :unsure: And it won the BP oscar? :blink: ROTFLMAO.)2. Out of Africa (More effective than Nyquil)3. The Hurt Locker (Won merely for political reasons and that's enough for me to hate it. It's also rather mediocre on the whole, especially when compared to Bigelow's follow up Zero Dark Thirty, which is actually quite good).4. Kramer vs. Kramer (This is just so mundane and blah of a film. I mean yeah Hoffman and Streep are good as usual, but what about exactly is BP material?)5. No Country For Old Men (Yeah everyone else seems to think it's a masterpiece. Do I give two fucks? Hell no. This movie still bores me to tears, I can't find any real point to it, and Bardem's performance is the only thing of interest for me. And lmao at that "ending." )

• Like 1

1.  Casablanca

1.  Forrest Gump

3.  Unforgiven

4.  Gone with the Wind

5.  The Godfather

6. West Side Story

7. Gladiator

8. The Departed

9. The Silence of the Lambs

10. Amadeus

11. The Best Years of Our Lives

12. American Beauty

13. Schindler’s List

14. A Beautiful Mind

15. The Godfather Part II

16. Patton

17. The Sound of Music

18. All Quiet on the Western Front

19. It Happened One Night

20. Platoon

21. On the Waterfront

22. Ben-Hur

23. Mutiny on the Bounty

24. Grand Hotel

25. The Bridge on the River Kwai  

- Please note that I have 2 number one choices. I can’t decide between them, so divide the points however you want to.

5 Worst Choices for Best Picture

The Academy often gets the Best Picture Award wrong. Therefore, I will not only name the worst 5 best picture winners, but I will name the movie that should have won the award instead out of the films that were nominated.

1. No Country for Old Men

-The Winner should have been: Juno. Juno was refreshing and interesting. It was the best movie nominated that year, so of course it didn’t win.

2. Annie Hall

-The Winner should have been: Star Wars. This was so simple that it was hard to mess up. Yet, the Academy decided to give it to an average Woody Allen film.

3. Gandhi

- The Winner should have been: E.T. the Extra Terrestrial. I am not even a huge E.T. fan, but it was an excellent coming of age story. It was heartwarming, while not overly sentimental. But, it was Spielberg at the time when the Academy gave Spielberg no credit, so of course this movie was over-looked.

4. Titanic

- The Winner should have been: L.A. Confidential. L.A. Confidential was a wonderfully crafted film with an all-star cast. The story was excellent. The Acting was excellent. It was everything that a Best Picture Award winner should be. So of course it lost to Romeo+ Juliet on a boat.

5. Chariots of Fire

- The Winner should have been: Raiders of the Lost Ark. Not only was Raiders of the Lost Ark the better film, but it even had the better Score. Raiders of the Lost Ark was a fun adventure film. However, to the Academy, the Best Picture Award is not the place for fun.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 3

[*]All Quiet on the Western Front

[*]Casablanca

[*]Gone with the Wind

[*]Lawrence of Arabia

[*]The Godfather Part II

[*]Amadeus

[*]The Deer Hunter

[*]The Godfather

[*]Silence of the Lambs

[*]One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

[*]All About Eve

[*]Ben-Hur

[*]Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

[*]No Country for Old Men

[*]Chariots of Fire

[*]Out of Africa

[*]Annie Hall

[*]The Apartment

[*]Kramer vs. Kramer

[*]West Side Story

[*]Unforgiven

[*]The Bridge on the River Kwai

[*]On the Waterfront

[*]The Departed

[*]Rebecca

I'm working on worst 5. Got a list of about 15-20 that I dislike. 

Some strong candidates: 

Schindler's List: Baumer knows why I strongly dislike it; I'd rather not get into another 4 hour long argument again over this. 

The Greatest Show on Earth: Absolutely unwatchable. One of the worst films in the existence of films. 

Forrest Gump: Three Words: Boring as Fuck

Gladiator: Really, this won? I get that it's a career achievement thing for Scott a la The Greatest Show on Earth for De Mille, but really? 

The Broadway Melody: It's like a broken ancient relic or antique or monster from the 30s

(And also for the record I like Shakespeare in Love and some days I do think that it deserves its win) 

Edited by riczhang

My top 25 go ahead and make fun of it tele and coolio

1. Lotr- the return of the king

2. Gladiator

3. The Godfather

4. No Country for Old Men

5. Forrest Gump

6. The Departed

7. Schindlers List

8. Casablanca

9. American Beauty

10. Rocky

11. The Godfather II

12. Silence of the Lambs

13. A Beautiful Mind

14. One Who a Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

15. Million Dollar Baby

16. Rain Man

17. Chicago

18. Braveheart

19. Platoon

20. The Hurt Locker

21. Unforgiven

22. Titanic

23. Kramer vs Kramer

24. Slumdog Millionaire

25. Gone with the Wind

It's not actually as bad as I thought it would be. It'll probably get better when you see more of the winners. :P But as a list picked from mostly recent winners, it has a lot of what I'd put on it. (Chicago :D)

1. No Country for Old Men

-The Winner should have been: Juno. Juno was refreshing and interesting. It was the best movie nominated that year, so of course it didn’t win.

At least pick a better alternative winner. What's There Will Be Blood? Rotten meat?

Edited by riczhang

I will not be including any films on my list before 1960 (except for two as they have transcended film and been indoctrinated into our collective psyche's as two of the best films made pre 1970, imo) as I have not seen enough films before that time to make a proper judgment.  

My top 20 best picture winners will be judged by the films that it beat and imo if they should have or not.  I don't have 25 films that I agree with so 20 it will be.

Here are the films I will work with.  I do not have an order yet.

1) Gone With the Wind (1939)

2) The Godfather (1972)

3) The Godfather 2 (1974)

4) Patton (1970)

5) Rocky (1976)

6) Platoon (1986)

7) Dances With Wolves (1990)

8) Schindler's List (1993)

9) Forrest Gump (1994)

10) Braveheart (1996)

11) Titanic (1997)

12) American Beauty (1999)

13) Gladiator (2000)

14) The Departed (2006)

15) No Country for Old Men (2007)

16) Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

17) Argo (2012)

18) Crash (2005)

19) The King's Speech (2010)

20) Casablanca (1943)

My 5 worst best picture winners are:

1) The Artist (the most ridiculous best picture winner in the history of film)

2) Annie Hall (an okay film but a horrible best picture winner)

3) Ordinary People (not only was there better films nominated for best picture but Empire Strikes Back wasn't and that is 1000X the movie that OP is).

4) Chicago ( an absolute travesty that this was nominated let alone won, The Pianist is heads and shoulders better)

5) Shakespeare In Love (this is too easy, not going to even make a comment on why SPR should have won)

The Sound of Music is engraved in American psyche as one of the 3 greatest live-action musicals of all time (along with Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins)... you can't say Crash (one of the worst films of 2005, and likely the worst film to ever win Best Picture) is better than it  :lol:

The Sound of Music is engraved in American psyche as one of the 3 greatest live-action musicals of all time (along with Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins)... you can't say Crash (one of the worst films of 2005, and likely the worst film to ever win Best Picture) is better than it  :lol:

I'm not judging it by that criteria though.  I think Crash was just as deserving a winner as Brokeback was so I have it as a good winner.  I'm not familiar with a lot of films that Poppins was up against.

• Like 1

I'm not judging it by that criteria though.  I think Crash was just as deserving a winner as Brokeback was so I have it as a good winner.  I'm not familiar with a lot of films that Poppins was up against.

Wait, is that the criterea? Cus I'll have to change my list if that is. 

It's not actually as bad as I thought it would be. It'll probably get better when you see more of the winners. :P But as a list picked from mostly recent winners, it has a lot of what I'd put on it. (Chicago :D)

At least pick a better alternative winner. What's There Will Be Blood? Rotten meat?

Clearly better than No Country For Old Men. There is no denying that. But, I still say that out of the nominated movies, Juno is the choice.

I am only picking from what was actually nominated. I am not picking what I believe is the best movie for the year. If I was, then clearly Mr. Brooks should have been the winner. It was just superb. A true gem.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 1