The Stingray

Top 25 'Best Picture' Winners of All Time | DEADLINE: Jan 15, 2014

We have relatively similar taste. Except Million Dollar Baby as your worst? What do you dislike so much about it?I need to see Bridge on the River Kwai and Chariots of Fire, always meant to.

CHARIOTS OF FIRE is sublime. Find a way to see it... now. :)My worst list probably varies slightly from day to day, but I hate MDB because it's so shamelessly exploitative and stacks the deck in a brazenly manipulative way. There's a good and interesting story here, with the potential for lots of depth, and it's tossed aside in favor of two-dimensional absurdity. It cheapens everything and everyone involved. Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

GIGI is the musical that makes my bottom 5. Ugh.

Unfortunately no musicals in my top 25. Almost had An American In Paris in there but there were a few others I forgot so I had to boot it out.

Gigi's actually not that bad. 

I only have West Side Story in my Top 25. Considered Chicago, Sound of Music and Oliver though. 

I'm assuming that we're assessing these movies solely on their own merits? In other words I'm guessing that we won't be taking into account how "deserving" they were in their particular year in comparison to other films.

I think it depends on your own preference. I'm judging movies on their own merit but Baumer's judging on a mix of that and how deserving they were. 

Deserve's got nothing to do with it. We're judging each winner on their own merit and ranking them against each other. The other nominated films are irrelevant here.

Well you know how the mods are. Acting a fool, flaunting society's conventions, drunk with power, psychopathological conditions characterized by delusional fantasies of omnipotence. :)

Shhh....... They can see this.  :ph34r:

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1