LexJoker

Thursday #s (1/2) | FRZ 5.2, DOS 4, WOWS 2.7, AM2 2.6,AH 2.5(Rth)

I love J-Law and all but they need to wait until she gives a worthy performance to give her #2

First rule of awards predicting: Never let your own opinion cloud your judgement.

Second rule of awards predicting: Never let your own opinion cloud your judgement.

Critics deem her worthy, everything else is irrelevant. If the industry agrees, she will win.

And JLAW is miscast as shit in American Hustle btw.

Like, who the hell are the people who are gonna watch American Hustle and then watch Lupita Nyong'o in 12 Years A Slave and be all like "yep, jlaw was better." wtf?

• Like 2

But some critics' circles do actually name runners-ups, and aside from that, in many races, many years, you can sort of tell by how the wins shake out throughout the season. Like, when Meryl Streep won the Oscar for Iron Lady, Viola Davis won the SAG and Critics' Choice Award and some other things, so among awards watchers, she's thought of as the runner up that year. Was she in actuality? We'll never know, unless all the different groups release all the numbers. But it's a game Oscar watchers play for sure, ranking who's ahead, who's on the bubble, numerically. from most to least likely to be nominated/win. They even go back in time and rank old awards lineups from decades ago, it's like what random box office stats are to people here.Right now I do see Best Supporting Actress coming down to Lupita vs. JLaw.

Critics awards have nothing to do with Academy tastes or how they'll vote, especially when you're actually trying to slot people into numbered slots. I take nothing away from JLaw in CF, but that wasn't remotely an Oscar-worthy performance.

If it lasts that long in theaters that would be awesome. I really hope it breaks out.

It's losing the IMAX screens from The Hobbit. Go figure WB takes an IMAX away from its own studio.

Edited by #ED

Critics awards have nothing to do with Academy tastes or how they'll vote, especially when you're actually trying to slot people into numbered slots.

I take nothing away from JLaw in CF, but that wasn't remotely an Oscar-worthy performance.

HEY TELEMACHOS

Posted Image

• Like 1

I'm sure she's good in American Hustle and I really like her, but I have the awful feeling that I'm gonna turn against Jennifer Lawrence and her (fucking annoying) fanbase if she wins a second Oscar this year. 

LOL are you still bitter from last year?

j/k

Critics awards have nothing to do with Academy tastes or how they'll vote, especially when you're actually trying to slot people into numbered slots.

That's right actually. The Academy is more mainstream than critics (Sandra Bullock anyone?), which would only increase Lawrence's chances.

And JLAW is miscast as shit in American Hustle btw.

Think what you want, but you're in the minority with that. Though I do wonder how she can be miscast when the role was specifically (re)written for her (young trophy wife, about 25 years old). She was more miscast in SLP than in AH.

Edited by Amon