LexJoker

Thursday #s (1/2) | FRZ 5.2, DOS 4, WOWS 2.7, AM2 2.6,AH 2.5(Rth)

Also FWIW Nyong'o seems like she would do better with critics than with the Academy and for Lawrence the reverse is probably the case. I'm still predicting Nyong'o to win but you're kidding yourself if you think Lawrence doesn't have a very real shot.

• Like 1

That sounds about right.Just don't say that directly to any of her fans. They'll attack.

That's not really fair. There's like 2 JLaw fans that do that and one of them (Futurist) hasn't even been here in 6 weeks. Don't paint us all with the same brush, man. :lol:
  • Like 1

Prediction: In 30 years it looks like Nolan will finally win an Oscar and then your kid wins it instead. Oops.

According to my chemistry teacher last year, I look a lot like Ben Affleck, so he ended up making a deal with me that, when I win more Oscars than Ben Affleck (so currently #3,) I'll mention him in the acceptance speech

I can definitely see JLaw winning again. She's just that hot right now.

When you say hot, do you mean like you find her sexy and dirty thoughts always come to mind or...

she's just hot and dirty thoughts rarely come to mind?

And why would the industry agree on her? I really don't see anything that appealing of her performance that the industry would recognize

Well that's the kicker... YOU don't. Very possible that the industry may disagree with you. They might not, but we don't know that.

Critics awards have nothing to do with Academy tastes or how they'll vote, especially when you're actually trying to slot people into numbered slots.I take nothing away from JLaw in CF, but that wasn't remotely an Oscar-worthy performance.

There's not a 1-to-1 correlation but there's an overlap. Some performances you can tell will go over big with critics but not the Academy, others hit the sweet spot for both. Jennifer's actually won some critics' prizes for American Hustle, IMO it's a performance that will play even better to AMPAS than critics, the Academy likes nominating actors in David O. Russell movies, the reports from screenings for AMPAS members have her getting the best response out of the cast...I'm not saying this because I think she should win, but in reading the tea leaves, all the signs show that she's a major player in the Supporting Actress race. People don't have to like it, but she is.

The Butler is expanding by 99 theaters this weekend.

When you say hot, do you mean like you find her sexy and dirty thoughts always come to mind or...

she's just hot and dirty thoughts rarely come to mind?

calm yourself you sex maniac.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

It's happening, Harvey's having a messy year this year and is going to get behind Big Eyes in a big way.  Adams gets the Winslet narrative, Waltz is a favorite, Stamp is the veteran nomination, Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski finally get their due while Elfman and Delbonnel have their overdue narratives too.

Yes, I jest. But the potential is there.

That's not really fair. There's like 2 JLaw fans that do that and one of them (Futurist) hasn't even been here in 6 weeks. Don't paint us all with the same brush, man. :lol:

Of the few Lawrence fans I've run into, they don't seem to respond very positively when talking about something negative involving her.

And saying "they don't seem to respond very positively" is downplaying them.

Edited by Fancyarcher

And why would the industry agree on her? I really don't see anything that appealing of her performance that the industry would recognize

Yeah because the Academy is notorious for giving awards to subtle performances... This is exactly the kind of performance the industry loves to go for, especially when it comes to actresses. Just look at the past winners. It's surprising, on the other hand, how well she's doing with critics.