luna

BO.com 100 Greatest Directors (closed now)

Really? This is an odd and pretentious choice imo. Duncan Jones for example has made only 2 movies, Moon and Source Code yet according to your list, he is better than the likes of Spielberg, Nolan, PJ, Cameron, all of which have easily more than 2 movies to the regime that are better than anything Duncan has done.

No clue who fucking Duncan Jones is. I won't even act like I do. But if that's his filmography, that guy has no business above the folks you mentioned. Just sayin...

Really? This is an odd and pretentious choice imo. Duncan Jones for example has made only 2 movies, Moon and Source Code yet according to your list, he is better than the likes of Spielberg, Nolan, PJ, Cameron, all of which have easily more than 2 movies to the regime that are better than anything Duncan has done.

Opinion much? He may consider Moon and Source Code better than any film Spielberg/Cameron/Nolan/etc have done, or consider the bad (or average) movies those directors have done balance things out. That's fair enough. And just because Duncan Jones has only done 2 movies it doesn't stop him being a good director. 

• Like 1

That's now 5 likes and counting for Wolfgang. If he doesn't make the top 100 now I will riot (in a peaceful and non-rulebreaking way),

As far as making a list of 100, I started with the obvious directors I knew and then started using IMDB to look up who directed my favorite films (hence discovering Frank Darabont did two of the greatest films ever and that almost every Disney animation I ever loved was down to Wolfgang Reitherman.)

You also quickly learn that Robert Zemeckis Directed every awesome film ever and not just the 5 or 6 you already knew was him.

Well, I'm completely ignorant about Spielberg, never seen his greatest movies, only War Horse and Schindler's List and I hated the first.

Peter Jackson directed some bad movies (King Kong, Lovely bones, ugh...) and isn't doing a good job with the Hobby trilogy, so I didn't include him, even though I like LOTR.

I didn't really care about Inception nor Memento, so I didn't want to include Nolan only because of TDK (I haven't seen the other two batman movies)

Terminator is great, but Titanic and Avatar aren't good, imo.

I love both Duncan Jones movies, maybe I ranked him too high, but I'd still prefer him to Nolan, PJ and JC.

Well, I'm completely ignorant about Spielberg, never seen his greatest movies, only War Horse and Schindler's List and I hated the first.Peter Jackson directed some bad movies (King Kong, Lovely bones, ugh...) and isn't doing a good job with the Hobby trilogy, so I didn't include him, even though I like LOTR.I didn't really care about Inception nor Memento, so I didn't want to include Nolan only because of TDK (I haven't seen the other two batman movies)Terminator is great, but Titanic and Avatar aren't good, imo. I love both Duncan Jones movies, maybe I ranked him too high, but I'd still prefer him to Nolan, PJ and JC.

You are missing out on some gems my friend.
  • Like 1

Opinion much? He may consider Moon and Source Code better than any film Spielberg/Cameron/Nolan/etc have done, or consider the bad (or average) movies those directors have done balance things out. That's fair enough. And just because Duncan Jones has only done 2 movies it doesn't stop him being a good director.

No its doesn't stop him being a good director at all, but it stops him from being one of the best of all time, the guy has made only 2 movies.
  • Like 1

No its doesn't stop him being a good director at all, but it stops him from being one of the best of all time, the guy has made only 2 movies.

If one director made 10 films all of which were consider good not great and another director made 2 films which were considered absolute masterpieces, who would you consider the better director? There are reasonable arguments for both, so you can't just claim the latter to automatically be void as a great director. If the same guy had directed Casablanca and 12 Angry Men, I'd consider him one of the greatest directors of all time even if those two were the only films he directed. 

To compare it to a different medium, are you saying that someone like Harper Lee (who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird) doesn't deserve to be on a list of Greatest Writers simply because that's the only book she ever wrote?

• Like 2

here's my list of greatest directors who have made 3 or more films:

http://www.imdb.com/list/edit?list_id=gvUw6xKrWLU

please note who is number one. ;)

however this isn't the list i'm submitting as i'm also including some directors i've seen only 1 or 2 films from to make it feel more complete. i'll reveal the entire list (the best list) at the end of voting...

If one director made 10 films all of which were consider good not great and another director made 2 films which were considered absolute masterpieces, who would you consider the better director? There are reasonable arguments for both, so you can't just claim the latter to automatically be void as a great director. If the same guy had directed Casablanca and 12 Angry Men, I'd consider him one of the greatest directors of all time even if those two were the only films he directed. 

To compare it to a different medium, are you saying that someone like Harper Lee (who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird) doesn't deserve to be on a list of Greatest Writers simply because that's the only book she ever wrote?

But Source Code is hardly a masterpiece is it??Moon is pretty good but its not unbelievable lol. Im not arguing this, Spielberg is a far better director as of now than Duncan Jones, if someone disagrees then their opinion is wrong ;)

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 2

But Source Code is hardly a masterpiece is it??Moon is pretty good but its not unbelievable lol. Im not arguing this, Spielberg is a far better director as of now than Duncan Jones, if someone disagrees then there opinion is wrong ;)

I'm not sure whether an opinion can be wrong or not, since it's an OPINION, but I'm sure "Duncan Jones is a greater director than Spielberg" is a VERY RARE opinion.

• Like 3

My final list.

I haven't seen a lot of films from other countries so I have to go with what I have seen.  I'm sure guys like Kurosawa and Von Triere are good but I haven't seen their work.  So here is the list.  Anything after about number 40 is kind of arbitrary.

In order: 

1) Spielberg

2) Cameron

3) Scorsese

4) Alan Parker

5) John Hughes

6) Michael Bay

7) Alfred Hitchcock

8) Clint Eastwood

9) Wes Craven

10) Oliver Stone

11) Francis Ford Coppola

12) Quentin Tarantino

13) John Carpenter

14) The Coens

15) George Lucas

16) Rob Reiner

17) Stanley Kubrick

18) Victor Fleming

19) Ridley Scott

20) Robert Zemekis

21) John McTiernan

22) Mark Pellington

23) Christopher Nolan

24) Lucio Fulci

25) Ron Howard

26) Felinni

27) Steven Soderbergh

28) John Ford

30) Gore Verbinski

31) Wachowskis

32) Charlie Chaplin

33) David Cronenberg

34) Tobe Hooper

35) Ivan Reitman

36) William Friedkin

37) Dario Argento

38) Brian DePalma

39) Sidney Lumet

40) Alan J. Pakula

41) Jonathan Demme

42) Sam Peckinpah

43) Roman Polanski

44) David Fincher

45) Don Siegel

46) Ingmar Bergman

47) Cecil B. DeMille

48) John Landis

49) Kathryn Bigelow

50) Sydney Pollack

51) Chris Columbus

52) John Woo

53) Stuart Rosenberg

54) David Lean

55) Paul Verhoeven

56) Andrew Davis

57) George A. Romero

58) Joe Dante

59) Sam Mendes

60) Wolfgang Reitherman

61) Sylvester Stallone

62) Wolfgang Petersen

63) Ben Affleck

64) Frank Darabont

65) Michael Mann

66) Mel Gibson

67) Paul Greengrass

68) Peter Jackson

69) Barry Levinson

70) Roland Emmerich

71) Sam Raimi

72) Bryan Singer

73) John Singleton

74) Ted Kotchoff

75) John Turtletaub

76) Ed Zwick

77) John G. Avildsen

78) Penny Marshal

79) Lawrence Kasdan

80) Woody Allen

81) Tim Burton

82) Joss Whedon

83) Harold Ramis

84) Bob Clark

85) Cameron Crowe

86) Amy Heckerling

87) Luc Besson

88) Zack Snyder

89) Peter Weir

90) Ang Lee

91) Kevin Smith

92) Atom Egoyan

93) Francois Truffaut

94) James Wan

95) Mel Brooks

96) Peter Yates

97) Tony Scott

98) Danny Boyle

99) Norman Jewison

100) Walter Hill

Edited by Christmas baumer
  • Like 2

I'm not sure whether an opinion can be wrong or not, since it's an OPINION, but I'm sure "Duncan Jones is a greater director than Spielberg" is a VERY RARE opinion.

Duncan Jones couldn't hold Spielberg's tripod.  

• Like 3

Sylvain Chomet?  Really Johnny?  Triplets of Belleville and 3 other movies?

Baumer, you have Michael Bay in your top 10. You're really not in a position to be throwing stones here....

Also, you listed John Carpenter twice. The guy is admittedly awesome, but you may want to fix that.

To be on a list of the best of all time, shouldn't body of work be considered?  I mean, I thought A Bronx Tale was one of the best films of 1993 but I wouldn't consider DeNiro one of the best of all time.

• Like 1