Gopher

Count Down 100 Movies from 2013 (Multiple users) Tele page 20

Another day, another dollar. Here's

4. Before Midnight

Posted Image

Before Midnight is a divine movie. It just is. I know I've been overusing this word in this thread but it's beautifully simple yet engrossing, funny, human and unbelievably well written and acted. It's a flawless gem of a movie that holds up on repeated viewings. I've seen it three times. Before Midnight the third movie in the Before trilogy directed by Richard Linklater and starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, and while the previous two entries are both fantastic movies, Before Midnight is by far the greatest of the three, and one of the very best conclusions to a trilogy in movie history. The four main scenes in the movie (the car ride, the dinner, the stroll and the hotel room) are some of the best I've ever seen.

I don't even know what to say, just go out and see it ffs

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 4

3. Captain Phillips

Posted Image

Even though it got good reviews I still think Captain Phillips is somewhat overrated. It's not winning any awards and it didn't show up on that many end-of-the-year Top 10 lists. I think it's a masterpiece and clearly one of the best film of the last ten years, if only for the incredibly powerful visceral effect it had on me. I have never been as fucking terrified watching a movie as I was watching Captain Phillips. The tension got so unbearable in the last 35 minutes that I was grabbing the arms of my chair, sweating, not being able to move or even swallow. Then, in the last 10 minutes, it delivers one fuck of a emotional sucker punch that had me crying in my seat like I had actually been through all the shit Tom Hanks had just endured. When I got home I curled into a fetal position for five hours and didn't say a word. Okay, not quite but the experience was all too potent. In a good way, of course. 

Tom Hanks is great, Barkhad Abdi is great and Paul Greengrass please let me kiss your feet for you are a master. Bravo. 

• Like 6

2. 12 Years a Slave

Posted Image

12 Years a Slave absolutely deserves all the praise it's been getting. I think it's a landmark film. It's a graceful, handsomely directed and painful portrait of institutionalized evil that was the norm for 300 years. It's also a story of survival, but as they say in the end Solomon Northup (played by Chiwetel Ejiofor) was one of the very few who managed to escape slavery. Speaking of Chiwetel Ejiofor, wow. He's incredible here. Everyone is, really. Lupita Nyong'o and Michael Fassbender especially. There isn't a weak link in the cast. 

Overall it's flawless. The quality of the movies in my Top 10 is pretty incredible but 12 Years a Slave is just a monumental piece of cinema, only bested by..

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 4

Aaaand we're back! Here's

8. Dallas Buyers Club

​Dallas Buyers Club is destined to become a classic. It's a movie that in 40 years will be seen as one of the best dramas of it's era, like how we look at Midnight Cowboy today. It is that good. 

Actually laughed out loud when I read this.

3. Captain Phillips

Posted Image

Even though it got good reviews I still think Captain Phillips is somewhat overrated. It's not winning any awards and it didn't show up on that many end-of-the-year Top 10 lists. I think it's a masterpiece and clearly one of the best film of the last ten years, if only for the incredibly powerful visceral effect it had on me. I have never been as fucking terrified watching a movie as I was watching Captain Phillips. The tension got so unbearable in the last 35 minutes that I was grabbing the arms of my chair, sweating, not being able to move or even swallow. Then, in the last 10 minutes, it delivers one fuck of a emotional sucker punch that had me crying in my seat like I had actually been through all the shit Tom Hanks had just endured. When I got home I curled into a fetal position for five hours and didn't say a word. Okay, not quite but the experience was all too potent. In a good way, of course. 

Tom Hanks is great, Barkhad Abdi is great and Paul Greengrass please let me kiss your feet for you are a master. Bravo. 

This might be my favourite review of any film I have ever read!  Bravo Jack.  Bravo.

You nailed my exact roller coaster of emotions in this one.  I too wept like a 15 year old who just watched his first dog get put to sleep.  That scene that Hanks has should have got him nominated.  He is absolutely brilliant in this film.

Way to go.  I love this review.

• Like 1

And here's our Number 1 movie! 

1. Blue Is The Warmest Color

Posted Image

This was a real surprise for me. I knew it had won the Palme D'or at the Cannes Film Festival, and I had read some very positive reviews but I never would've expected Blue Is The Warmest Color to become one of my favorite movies. I know a three hour French movie about lesbians sounds like a load of Gay Cowboys Eating Pudding, l but I was honestly speechless after seeing the movie. This and Captain Phillips were films where I had to sit down and a have little cry while the credits were rolling. I actually went to see another film after Blue, and for the first 30 minutes of Homefront all I could do was to try to process the three hour emotional rollercoaster I had just sat through, and the bittersweet feeling it had left me with. 

Blue is the very much the story of Adele (played by Adele Exarchopoulos). The movie begins with Adele being a 16 year old high schooler. She is unsure about her sexuality. She has bad sex with a guy from her school, but eventually meets Lea Sedoux with whom she has an intense relationship that changes her life. In both a good way and a bad way.

Adele is a wonderful main character. Despite the graphic sexual nature of some of her scenes all I wanted *beta male alert* was to give her a hug. The movie is essentially her unsuccessful quest for happiness, and I don't think I've ever rooted as hard for a character as I did for Adele. This is thanks to both the script and, most importantly, Ms. Exarchopoulos' astonishing, star making performance. I can't really praise her enough. Her performance is all about the small details, like the way she looks at Lea Sedoux near the beginning of their relationship and the last time they meet. Lea Sedoux is also fantastic and the two work beautifully together. 

The movie is directed by a guy called Abdellatif Kechoche, of whom I hadn't heard before. He's clearly a great, great filmmaker and I'm looking forward to his next projects. He deserves infinite praise for making every scene in a three hour movie feel absolutely vital; I wouldn't cut a minute out of Blue. It's an intimate, painful and human masterpiece that reminds us why we go to the movies: to feel something. 

• Like 4