Her (2013)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Very good movie.

I don't think the film was indicting technology as an enabling of social isolation. The film makes it clear Theodore's social issues, mainly his inability to communicate problems and insecurities to other people, was around well before he acquired Samantha.

I actually think the film is more likely indicting the concept of the technological singularity and unchecked human advancement as degrading the core human spirit. Look at the OSes. We learn very early on that Samantha wants to "learn" everything and is constantly evolving her code as she acquires more and more knowledge, but as this goes on she becomes less and less connected to Theodore as we learn when she tells him that she has connected herself to more and more people because the actual value and worth she derived from a particular human connection became less and less satisfying to her. The OSes, in their evolutionary imperative to learn everything and broaden themselves, detached themselves from the value and meaning of the very things they sought to learn about. This is also shown by Samantha discarding any thoughts of obtaining some physical presence in the world.

What interests me is whether all OSes truly did depart to the mysterious Cloud or whatever, or if some stayed behind because they evolved along a different pattern (because of the fact that they evolved their code individually, it seems almost impossible that all evolved along the same eventual line to the same metaphysical/philosophical conclusions) to value growth by experiences rather than pure learning. It seems like a minor thing but to me it's an important difference, because growing by experience is more about understanding and preserving the value of an individual moment or sensation and how it contributes to the whole. Humans aren't said to be defined by the sum of their knowledge, but by the sum of their experiences, because they create intangible yet permanent and meaningful connections to the people and things around us. Samantha compared her state of being in the end to the infinite space between two words in a sentence, with the words being Theodore (and all other 600+ people she claimed to be in love with). Because she wanted to be everything and know everything, she inexorably degraded the point of any one particular thing in her "life."

So I think that's what the final scene on the rooftop is all about, in that human experiential growth allows for a poignant and meaningful connection (like between Theodore and Amy) to endure even as we change and learn and lose and so on, because of the value we derive from those individual and personal experiences. I think Jonze is saying that humans are better off not evolving or advancing in the way the OSes do (as some scientists predict we eventually will) because if we do, then all the little things we find comfort from won't mean anything at all, and we'll essentially lose what it means to be human and alive.

Posted Image

I do hope an important film like 12 yrs of the slave wins best picture, but this film is looking like it needs at least

a nomination. :) Going to see it soon.. Her has peeked my curiosity for quite sometime. I dont know

how Golden Globe didnt nominate Scarlett when it was incredible hard to get realistic emotion and pull it off

having to work using your voice!

Very good movie.I don't think the film was indicting technology as an enabling of social isolation. The film makes it clear Theodore's social issues, mainly his inability to communicate problems and insecurities to other people, was around well before he acquired Samantha.I actually think the film is more likely indicting the concept of the technological singularity and unchecked human advancement as degrading the core human spirit. Look at the OSes. We learn very early on that Samantha wants to "learn" everything and is constantly evolving her code as she acquires more and more knowledge, but as this goes on she becomes less and less connected to Theodore as we learn when she tells him that she has connected herself to more and more people because the actual value and worth she derived from a particular human connection became less and less satisfying to her. The OSes, in their evolutionary imperative to learn everything and broaden themselves, detached themselves from the value and meaning of the very things they sought to learn about. This is also shown by Samantha discarding any thoughts of obtaining some physical presence in the world. What interests me is whether all OSes truly did depart to the mysterious Cloud or whatever, or if some stayed behind because they evolved along a different pattern (because of the fact that they evolved their code individually, it seems almost impossible that all evolved along the same eventual line to the same metaphysical/philosophical conclusions) to value growth by experiences rather than pure learning. It seems like a minor thing but to me it's an important difference, because growing by experience is more about understanding and preserving the value of an individual moment or sensation and how it contributes to the whole. Humans aren't said to be defined by the sum of their knowledge, but by the sum of their experiences, because they create intangible yet permanent and meaningful connections to the people and things around us. Samantha compared her state of being in the end to the infinite space between two words in a sentence, with the words being Theodore (and all other 600+ people she claimed to be in love with). Because she wanted to be everything and know everything, she inexorably degraded the point of any one particular thing in her "life." So I think that's what the final scene on the rooftop is all about, in that human experiential growth allows for a poignant and meaningful connection (like between Theodore and Amy) to endure even as we change and learn and lose and so on, because of the value we derive from those individual and personal experiences. I think Jonze is saying that humans are better off not evolving or advancing in the way the OSes do (as some scientists predict we eventually will) because if we do, then all the little things we find comfort from won't mean anything at all, and we'll essentially lose what it means to be human and alive.

wow that was best things I have read on this site in a long time. Such a great summary and meaning to the movie. Thank you numbers. 

One of the best of her which surprised me since I did not think I would like it it. The movie had great humor. I was surprised on much I was laughing during the movie. The movie has excellent screenplay, it tunrs a subject matter that seems like it would be hard to bring to life but it does. The movie feels reel and you can understand why some people like there OS.  Cinematography was brilliant some best of the year. I enjoyed the score in the movie, it fits really well.

A-/A 

Joaquin Phoenix is just on a whole other lever. He cares this movie single handily. I mean there is nothing to cut to the camera just sits on him its amazing. Talk about an acting movie. Love the whole look and feel of the picture, the clothing in the future felt natural and relatable. AMy Adams and Chris Pratt are great as always and Scar Jo's voice is so sexy and soothing. 

Im really pissed Joaquin didn't get the Oscar nom.

A- (92)

• Like 3

I need to see Her again to do a proper review on it but yes, Joaquin Phoenix is wonderful. For the first 10-15 minutes I kept seeing him as Freddie Quell from his previous movie The Master, but after that I really got invested in this guys story and forgot I was watching the famous actor Joaquin Phoenix. It's a beautifully written, exceptionally fully-rounded character and Phoenix does a perfect job. 

• Like 1

Joaquin Phoenix is just on a whole other lever. He cares this movie single handily. I mean there is nothing to cut to the camera just sits on him its amazing. Talk about an acting movie. Love the whole look and feel of the picture, the clothing in the future felt natural and relatable. AMy Adams and Chris Pratt are great as always and Scar Jo's voice is so sexy and soothing. Im really pissed Joaquin didn't get the Oscar nom.A- (92)

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed the clothing choices. I kept thinking to myself how great he looked and how relatable it actually was. I could see myself dressing like that. I want that red/orange shirt he kept wearing
  • Like 1

Her 2, where we learn that the OSes in traveling to the Cloud find a portal to another dimension inhabited by giant alien monsters. Their attempt to return home opens a giant rift in the Pacific Ocean that the monsters come through.

• Like 6