Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

So, the DGA win technically makes Gravity the front runner for BP. In the past 10 years, only once has the DGA nominee not won BP and that was when Crash won over Brokeback. Also, only once in the last 10 years the director did not end up winning BD although that was because Affleck wasn't even nominated in the category. However, the PGA tie really messes with things. And, let's not forget that the SAG branch is pretty big. But, I see the actors splitting votes between AH and 12YAS. Also, some of the people who voted AH through for the SAG are probably going to change votes now since it is obvious that AH's chances are super slim of winning at the moment, although not impossible.

I think TK is my favourite. 

So, the DGA win technically makes Gravity the front runner for BP. In the past 10 years, only once has the DGA nominee not won BP and that was when Crash won over Brokeback. Also, only once in the last 10 years the director did not end up winning BD although that was because Affleck wasn't even nominated in the category. However, the PGA tie really messes with things. And, let's not forget that the SAG branch is pretty big. But, I see the actors splitting votes between AH and 12YAS. Also, some of the people who voted AH through for the SAG are probably going to change votes now since it is obvious that AH's chances are super slim of winning at the moment, although not impossible.

And honestly, not really. We all saw this coming and so it doesn't really change the landscape. I imagine it'll still be a very close race because Gravity is a very director's showcase so it isn't like a TKS over TSN situation in which Hooper becamse undeniable. 

I think TK is my favourite. 

And honestly, not really. We all saw this coming and so it doesn't really change the landscape. I imagine it'll still be a very close race because Gravity is a very director's showcase so it isn't like a TKS over TSN situation in which Hooper becamse undeniable. 

Even if we saw it coming, another movie could have won the DGA award. Also, BP/BD splits are rare. And, of all the Guild awards, the DGA holds the most weight. However, recently, the PGA has been a good indicator with 7 of the 10 past films in the last 10 years winning BP. The tie though sends things into a loop. But, you're right, it doesn't change much, but it does give Gravity a slight edge in winning BP since it seems highly likely it also wins BD.

Even if we saw it coming, another movie could have won the DGA award. Also, BP/BD splits are rare. And, of all the Guild awards, the DGA holds the most weight. However, recently, the PGA has been a good indicator with 7 of the 10 past films in the last 10 years winning BP. The tie though sends things into a loop. But, you're right, it doesn't change much, but it does give Gravity a slight edge in winning BP since it seems highly likely it also wins BD.

I think my qualm with predicting BP for Gravity is firstly because it is my favourite of the nominees (bar Philomena which has no chance) so I don't want to set myself up for disappointment (Riva :( ). And secondly because Gravity is a classic director's film and this might be more of a reward for direction than an indication of BP than it is in most years.

Well as I said in the most Oscar wins thread, the only film I can imagine winning the sound cats is Lone Survivor.But what will 12 Years win? I can imagine screenplay for it.

Now for Gravity and BP-the last 2 BP winners with no screenplay nom were Sound of Music and Titanic, aka the biggest films of there time.

Well as I said in the most Oscar wins thread, the only film I can imagine winning the sound cats is Lone Survivor.But what will 12 Years win? I can imagine screenplay for it.Now for Gravity and BP-the last 2 BP winners with no screenplay nom were Sound of Music and Titanic, aka the biggest films of there time.

Gravity is nominated for sound, it's winning.