Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Glad I went to sleep before the "Is Gravity sci-fi argument reared its head. Good to see Tele capably handle matters.

It clearly is Sci-Fi since it didn't win. If it wasn't Sci-Fi it would have won.
  • Like 7

So, let's se what Jeff Wells thought of the Oscars 

5:48 pm: Jim Carrey‘s Bruce Dern impersonation…not so much. Not LSD but animation. I hate animation. I hate animated films. I hate the over-the-top exaggeration, the broadness, the family-friendly sensibility. It’s all oppression, all the same. Let’s get this over with.5:51 pm: Great — a tiresome (or do I just mean lame?), tediously energetic Pharrell Williams Las Vegas number with dancers dressed like preppies. It this song was on the radio I would instantly turn it off. Get outta here!

6:13 pm: Kim Novak (good work, implants or injections, deep breathy voice) and Matthew McConaughey announcing Best Animated Short film. Mr. Hublot, which I’ve never seen and probably never will see, is the winner.6:24 pm: I’ve seen Her twice, and I never really got into “The Moon Song”, which is one of the Oscar-nominated songs. Karen O and an acoustic guitar player just performed it like a couple sitting on stools in a small cafe or in their kitchen or whatever. It might have the right way to perform the song, but — let’s be honest — underplaying it didn’t quite cut it.

6:28 pm: The Oscar telecast is almost an hour old and I’m feeling a little bored, man. A little underwhelmed.6:55 pm: Brad Pitt introducing U2 and “Ordinary Love,” their Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom song. Negligible film, negligible song. Naturally it gets a standing ovation. The show is almost 90 minutes old, and I’m thinking “when will things really start?”

7:22 pm: The three large pizzas have arrived! Pass ‘em around…anybody got red pepper packets? Big Mamas and Papas Pizza gets the plug. The show is almost two hours old, and the four best moments so far have been (a) Lupita Nyong’o‘s big win, ( B) the group selfie, © the pizza and (d) Jared Leto‘s win.7:30 pm: If Gravity wins the Best Editing Oscar, I fear the worst as far as the Best Picture Oscar is concerned. Good God, Gravity has won. Five Oscars so far. The Academy really loves this technically impressive thrill ride. Gravity, dammit, is going to win the Best Picture Oscar…eff me and double-eff the Academy. All those people who predicted 12 Years A Slave to win….well, I shouldn’t throw in the towel just yet, right? Hang in there.

7:38 pm: Pink’s performance of “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” was nicely done, but why? I don’t get the reason for the Wizard of Oz tribute number other than…uhm, Craig and Neil wanted to do a Wizard of Oz tribute number.7:46 pm: Terrific– the Oscar are presenting a tribute to brawny, dynamic, athletic heroes. Mostly CG super-heroes. Superhero movies are megaplex diversions, for the most part, and have absolutely no place in a show ostensibly devoted to celebrating the most profound or highest-aspiring films. This is just pandering. Pandering to the popcorn-munching apes.

8:05 pm: I’m sorry but something is off about Goldie Hawn‘s face. Too many injections or the wrong implants…something. None of us mind “work” if it’s done well, but you’re supposed to resemble your younger self on some level. Hawn looks waxy.8:15 pm: Jessica Biel and Jamie Foxx presenting the nominees for Best Original Score. Wait, let me guess…Gravity‘s going to win, right? Jesus God. Gravity‘s Steven Price wins! What is this, six Oscars now? Does everybody realize what a Gravity pigfuck this show has been over the last two hours and 45 minutes? Gravity is going to win the Best Picture Oscar. How can it not? Oh, yeah…Frozen (i.e., “Let It Go”) wins the Best Song Oscar.

8:36 pm: Angelina Jolie and Sidney Poitier presenting the best Director Oscar to Alfonso Cuaron. And after some uncertainty as to who will read the name, Ms. Jolie says “and the Oscar goes to Alfonso Cuaron.” Best line: Cuaron thanking “the wise guys of Warner Brothers” and then corrects himself by saying “the wise people of Warner Brothers!” Wise guys was better, Alfonso.8:56 pm: Will Smith presenting the Best Picture Oscar. This is it. 12 Years A Slave wins! Good God! All the people who wouldn’t watch it, all the people who frowned…there weren’t enough of them in the end. Amazing! I can’t believe it. A lot of people who didn’t see it must have voted for it anyway. I’m really astonished and very, very pleased. Wow! Good, excellent, wondrous thing. The sour-faced people were heard from, but they weren’t numerous enough. Steve McQueen hops up and down…yes! I owe Glenn Kenny $50 bucks. Did American Hustle win anything? Nope.

Never change Jeff Wells. Exactly the kind of snarky awards hysterics that BOF loves to indulge in during the live threads.

The show was pretty inconsistent.  You give 12 Years Best Picture but no Director?.  You Give Gravity 7 Awards (Like Star Wars) and not Picture?  Wolf and American Hustle pretty much get shut out.  But overall they got a lot of it right.   Happy for 12 years, it was such a powerful story and movie, glad it got at least 3.  "Gravity" was fantastic to me, I don't get the complaints that it lacked story.  It was an isolated Thriller in space.  No different than "Castaway" on an Island or "I am Legend" in a city.  It was mostly about survival.  Blame Cameron for calling it the best movie in Space, lol.  

Still haven't seen "Dallas Buyer's Club" but HIV/AIDS films always get to the Academy.   As well acted as "American Hustle" was, I'm kinda glad it was snubbed cause it was slightly overhyped and the 3rd act didn't really deliver.  Leo didn't win cause the Academy knew he will be back.  Matthew probably won't be back so they did the right thing and awarded him now.  YEAH FOR LUPITA.  Beautiful Queen.  Happy for John C. Riley, this is now the 2nd Black Screenwriter to win the last 5 years after there being no Black Screenwriters to ever win.  We still haven't won Best Original Screenplay or Best Director. Happy for Spike Jones as I've been a fan of his for years even when he did music videos.  

• Like 2

I thought it was an incredibly boring show. If u watched or paid attention to all the precursors you already knew the results this year.

• Like 1

I like Ellen, but she, and the material she had to work with, was very poor here. I mean, the monologue sucked and what the hell was up with all the f**king Twitter jokes?

Those Twitter jokes must've been fucking hysterical to all the 70 year old senile Academy members. 

"Oh ho ho, that pesky technology"

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 2

Also I have to give it to the Academy this year.  This was by far one of the most DIVERSE Oscars Ever.  A Latino winning Best Director, A Black Man winning Screenplay and Best Picture.  An African Winning, This is what it should be as it represents the world.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

Also I have to give it to the Academy this year. This was by far one of the most DIVERSE Oscars Ever. A Latino winning Best Director, A Black Man winning Screenplay and Best Picture. An African Winning, This is what it should be as it represents the world.

No whoever deserves to win should win
  • Like 7

Also though I wanted Steven to win Best Director. I'm happy for Alfonso.  He's an amazing director.  IMO he directed the best POTTER film and "Children of Men" was fantastic.   I hope he can bring his cerebral style to the Star Wars Franchise in the future down the line.