The Tree of Life

30 members have voted

1. 1. The Tree of Life

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I didn't hate this movie, but it's obviously made more for Malick's own enjoyment than for mine. Really nice visuals and cinematography, especially during the prolonged creation of the universe sequence, but the family dynamic that takes up the rest of the film eventually becomes a bore, and the nonsensical cross-cutting with random metaphorical images wore thin.

B-

Another movie that gets worse as it goes along. The wafer-thin plot would have supported a 90 minute movie, but over the years Malick has forgotten how to edit his movies. Badlands and Days of Heaven are 90 minute masterpieces, but since his return to cinema in 1998 his movies have all been too long, baggy and self-indulgent.He's like a rock star who made his name with 3 minute ditties, then comes back a generation later with a series of prog rock epics that bore the shit out of people.

• Like 1

I'm sorry I held off watching this for so long. I was moved to tears, like I was watching my childhood again. Every single frame of this movie is just beautiful. Visually, the film is jaw-dropping and should have won cinematography and visual effects. I can't get over what I saw.

A+

Amazing filmmaking, this movie. I didnt get all the symbolism of TOL, but I just let the movie flow through me, and it was a great thing to witness.One of the most beautiful movies ever.Jesdica Chastain was luminous, and Brad Pitt as the dad was a staggeringly good performance. I was never bored, the movie kept me interested the whole time.I didnt like Sean Penn. I think this is a very sincere movie, and not pretentious at all. Great movie.9,5/10

• Like 1

I'll be the party pooper. With the exception of the creation of the universe part, done to opera music, the rest of the film was just one big WTF. What does one have to do with the other? Why do we need to see the creation of the universe, a dinosaur standing on top of another, and then kids living in 50's Waco Texas? And the film is hampered by Malick's usual overly done poetic whispers...."Father...mother.....always you wrestle inside me." BLEEECCCCHHHHH...excuse me while I puke. The kid who gets picked on by Pitt was excellent and you could see his hatred growing but the film itself was way too obtuse for me and way too esoteric.3/10

• Like 1

Amazing filmmaking, this movie. I didnt get all the symbolism of TOL, but I just let the movie flow through me, and it was a great thing to witness.One of the most beautiful movies ever.Jesdica Chastain was luminous, and Brad Pitt as the dad was a staggeringly good performance. I was never bored, the movie kept me interested the whole time.I didnt like Sean Penn. I think this is a very sincere movie, and not pretentious at all. Great movie.9,5/10

Test

I'll be the party pooper. With the exception of the creation of the universe part, done to opera music, the rest of the film was just one big WTF. What does one have to do with the other? Why do we need to see the creation of the universe, a dinosaur standing on top of another, and then kids living in 50's Waco Texas? And the film is hampered by Malick's usual overly done poetic whispers...."Father...mother.....always you wrestle inside me." BLEEECCCCHHHHH...excuse me while I puke. The kid who gets picked on by Pitt was excellent and you could see his hatred growing but the film itself was way too obtuse for me and way too esoteric.3/10

Must.. not.. say.. "you didn't get it".. hnnngggh ;)
  • Like 1

Objectively, I thought the movie was well made but flat out boring(except for the universe sequence of course). I didn't find it confusing or that it didn't make any sense, I just wasn't entertained at all and that is a must for me. Ebert described it pretty good."The Tree of Life is a film of vast ambition and deep humility, attempting no less than to encompass all of existence and view it through the prism of a few infinitesimal lives."5/10
  • Like 1

LMAO Baumer. I didn't get it either. I keep saying I'm gonna give it another try. Somewhere during the creation I just lose interest completely. I keep saying I'm gonna smoke some bud and watch it. Maybe that will help me. I really do want to see the beauty that everyone else does, lol. I don't know I think you just have to be open to this sort of thing.

• Like 2

I really don't think there's much to "get" here - the story is exceedingly simple. A man leaves his office, sees a newly-planted tree, gets reminded of his long-dead brother and has a kind of religious epiphany intercut with scenes from their youth. Was there anything I missed?I love me a good story but this film was just adorable for its imagery, cinematography, light, music ... also, the children at play were really spot-on. Watching them in knowledge of the looming death was a very intense experience.

I agree with everything Industrious said. The film was beautiful in those spots. And the kids growing up was well done. But other than that, I didn't find anything enjoyable about the film. I'll bet Chastain jumped at this role. Here's how the conversation went with the producer:Producer: So, Jessica. Here is the contract, have a look at it. We'll pay you $250,000. You will have very few lines, you have one scene where you are mad, one where you are sad, give Brad one or two kisses and the rest of the film you are dancing with your kids.Jessica: Dancing?Producer: Yes, weell, and a little bit of tag and hide and go seek, but yes, you'll have about 76 different dancing scenes. You'll twirl your kids, boogey, waltz, all kinds of dancing. 76 scenes. Jessica: Do you have a pen?

Edited by Expendable baumer
  • Like 2

I really don't think there's much to "get" here - the story is exceedingly simple. A man leaves his office, sees a newly-planted tree, gets reminded of his long-dead brother and has a kind of religious epiphany intercut with scenes from their youth. Was there anything I missed?

I love me a good story but this film was just adorable for its imagery, cinematography, light, music ... also, the children at play were really spot-on. Watching them in knowledge of the looming death was a very intense experience.

Okay I did miss something. I missed the whole point, lol. Okay I got distracted. Oh and I do have a long dead brother. Maybe I'll connect with it somehow. Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 2

I agree with everything Industrious said. The film was beautiful in those spots. And the kids growing up was well done. But other than that, I didn't find anything enjoyable about the film. I'll bet Chastain jumped at this role. Here's how the conversation went with the producer:Producer: So, Jessica. Here is the contract, have a look at it. We'll pay you $250,000. You will have very few lines, you have one scene where you are mad, one where you are sad, give Brad one or two kisses and the rest of the film you are dancing with your kids.Jessica: Dancing?Producer: Yes, weell, and a little bit of tag and hide and go seek, but yes, you'll have about 76 different dancing scenes. You'll twirl your kids, boogey, waltz, all kinds of dancing. 76 scenes. Jessica: Do you have a pen?

Quiet you, she was amazing in that movie. :lol:
  • Like 1