CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

7 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Kung Fu Panda 3 

3 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I was not a fan, but KFP3 got praises for its visuals.

There were some beautiful shots but some of that stuff, especially the 2D sequences, was done incredibly well by Samurai Jack more than a decade before so at least for me it didn't have quite the same impact. But ok, I'll give you that. Still besides the norm for DW tho, not the norm.

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm just going to disagree there. Haven't seen many DreamWorks films recently but I think Kung Fu Panda 3 is a better film on every standard 

It's better than most of their recent stuff, but that's not saying much. It doesn't have the zaniness and breeziness of Illumination's stuff, so it becomes more difficult to overlook the retreads and the more underwhelming aspects. It's pretty subjective but it is telling that Illumination is managing to hook audiences with their movies while even KFP3 was largely a pass.

I think the reason why Minions did so well is because it didn't have a TV series so it stayed desirable for people to see.

Dragon's TV series, imo, and Penguins' TV series made seeing the films in cinemas less of a "must".

It was smart of Illumination not to make a DM/Minions TV series to keep demand high for their films.

Once despicable me as a franchise is over, maybe after DM4 or whenever Uni decides to stop making them, a TV series could be very profitable. But not now imo.

• Like 2

Just now, cannastop said:

Does anyone else think they're squandering some buzz by releasing so many trailers this early?

Illumination promoted Pets very early on. I think Sing is a tougher sell hence why they're promoting it now. 

4 minutes ago, bladels said:

They basically show the whole movie in the trailer :mellow:

Still gonna watch it because of Tori Kelly

It's quite a starry cast compared to previous Illumination films. Minions had Sandra Bullock but Pets went for more low key names. 

56 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Does anyone else think they're squandering some buzz by releasing so many trailers this early?

Depends. If they've got good stuff to follow it up with later, then no. If they've shooting their wad now, then yes its a mistake.