CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/11/10/sneak-peek-sing-movie/75478808/

Buster Moon has realized the dream of owning the theater that he used to go with his dad, but the place has fallen on hard times with nobody coming for shows anymore. Though his best friend, a black sheep named Eddie (John C. Reilly), doesn’t think it’s a great idea, he decides to put on the world’s greatest singing competition.

“Buster is a salesman and a survivor, eternally optimistic and someone who will do anything to make sure ‘the show goes on,’ ” says McConaughey.

635827531919701960-koala-and-mouse.jpg

Voiced by Matthew McConaughey, Buster Moon is a koala bear who puts on a singing competition, and the mouse Mike (Seth MacFarlane) is one of his top talents

635827531919233957-elephant-and-porcupin

Meena (voiced by Tori Kelly) is a timid elephant with a major voice, and Ash (Scarlett Johansson) is a punk-rock porcupine who wants to be genuine with her music.

635827531919233957-gorilla-and-pig.jpg

The gorilla Johnny (voiced by Taron Egerton) prefers being a singer over being a gangster, and Rosita (Reese Witherspoon) yearns to be more than a doting mommy pig.

More than 85 songs, from the 1940s to the present, are in the film so far, Meledandri says. "When you start to see these animals sing, it’s absolutely magical and hysterical."

McConaughey figures Buster is close in character to other live-action roles he’s had that involve “some salesman aspects and wriggling out of a pinch.” And Meledandri liked that Buster brought together McConaughey’s melodic voice with a character who can be manipulative but isn’t a complete scoundrel.

• Like 1

Wow, Illumination is set for a badass 2016. For the people that were complaining about The Secret Life Of Pets being Toy Story w/dogs (which.. yeah, it kinda totally is, but is that a bad thing? It's TOY FUCKING STORY, there's nothing in this world that's a better inspiration point than the TS trilogy), there you go, that's a concept that hasn't been done before in animated movies (as far as I can call), outside of a Shrek parody of American Idol that was on the post-credits of Shrek 2. That's all I can remember for similarities. And I don't think that, besides the talking animals world, this has any resemblance to Zootopia. One's about a chick trying to be a badass in a world of men, the other's pretty much about a talent show while a snieveling bastard is stealing money from other people. Quite different.

As for box office predictions, well, I believe this will carry the Illumination brand name goodwill (or the Pixar and Marvel effect) post-billion dollar clubber Minions and The Secret Life Of Pets, which, while probably will not be as big as Finding Dory or Kung Fu Panda 3, will still easily do 700+ million WW and will be one of the biggest animations of 2016. I don't think this'll do AS much as Pets, thanks to arguably stiffer competition (Rogue One + Passengers will have the families; throw in Assassin's Creed + Jumanji + Moana which may still be on its legs) but w/the ensemble cast, the cool sounding plot and Illumination's superb marketing will still lead it to pretty big heights:

OW: $58 million (2nd place to Passengers)
DOM: $215 million

WW: $600 million

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Wow, Illumination is set for a badass 2016. For the people that were complaining about The Secret Life Of Pets being Toy Story w/dogs (which.. yeah, it kinda totally is, but is that a bad thing? It's TOY FUCKING STORY, there's nothing in this world that's a better inspiration point than the TS trilogy), there you go, that's a concept that hasn't been done before in animated movies (as far as I can call), outside of a Shrek parody of American Idol that was on the post-credits of Shrek 2. That's all I can remember for similarities. And I don't think that, besides the talking animals world, this has any resemblance to Zootopia. One's about a chick trying to be a badass in a world of men, the other's pretty much about a talent show while a snieveling bastard is stealing money from other people. Quite different.

As for box office predictions, well, I believe this will carry the Illumination brand name goodwill (or the Pixar and Marvel effect) post-billion dollar clubber Minions and The Secret Life Of Pets, which, while probably will not be as big as Finding Dory or Kung Fu Panda 3, will still easily do 700+ million WW and will be one of the biggest animations of 2016. I don't think this'll do AS much as Pets, thanks to arguably stiffer competition (Rogue One + Passengers will have the families; throw in Assassin's Creed + Jumanji + Moana which may still be on its legs) but w/the ensemble cast, the cool sounding plot and Illumination's superb marketing will still lead it to pretty big heights:

OW: $58 million (2nd place to Passengers)
DOM: $215 million

WW: $600 million

Passengers is a sci-fi romance and Rogue One is probably going to be more fan-driven than general audience. Jumanji is probably moving, that doesn't even have a director or cast yet. Miss Peregrine will probably be the only film competing with Sing for families. 

• Like 1

Early predictions:

OW: 40M (60M 5 day)

DOM: 180M

WW: 450M

I don't think this will be as big as Pets but it should have some strong legs going into January providing it's good. This is the only animated movie until Lego Batman in February so that helps (there's also Monster Trucks but I highly doubt that even gets released).

10 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Next year is going to be animated animal overload:

Angry Birds

Finding Dory

Ice Age

Kung Fu Panda

Norm of the North

Nut Job 2

Secret Life of Pets

Sing

Storks

Zootopia

I do think people are slightly overestimating how well Pets will do, it's being released in a year with Finding Dory and Ice Age 5 both which will be OS monsters as well as a live action family film with The BFG, it'll likely be successful with perhaps $500-600m but the family competition is much stronger than what Minions had. I'm thinking the same for Sing with $400-450m.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, babz06 said:

Passengers is a sci-fi romance and Rogue One is probably going to be more fan-driven than general audience. Jumanji is probably moving, that doesn't even have a director or cast yet. Miss Peregrine will probably be the only film competing with Sing for families. 

Good points, but Passengers does have two of the biggest draws in Hollywood atm in Chris Pratt and J-Law, and Rogue One has "Star Wars" in the title, and in a post-Force Awakens world, that's saying something. While those movies don't directly target the family audiences the way Sing does, they certainly will have their attention captured more strongly.

10 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I do think people are slightly overestimating how well Pets will do, it's being released in a year with Finding Dory and Ice Age 5 both which will be OS monsters as well as a live action family film with The BFG, it'll likely be successful with perhaps $500-600m but the family competition is much stronger than what Minions had. I'm thinking the same for Sing with $400-450m.

I would agree w/you, if it weren't for the fact that Illumination are absolute geniuses of marketing. The first teaser for Pets took the Internet by storm, currently at 13+ million views on YT (pretty much the same amount as KFP 3's first trailer which dropped at around the same time), and theatrically, it was released, w/a year in advance, in front of Minions - which means it was exposed to at least 1.1 billion people (well, less than that cause many of those are folks on repeat viewings, but whatever) - and I've heard from friends that, when they went to see it, the Pets trailer got a bigger laugh out of the whole audience than the movie itself. The next trailer should drop around January alongside KFP 3, and again, beyond that, it's all down on how clever they can be in their advertisement. Not to mention they have the presence of some pretty big comedians like Kevin Hart and Louis CK in it. It won't be as big as Dory or KFP or IA5 WW (domestically I can see it beating IA5 tho since IA movies were never big US domestic hits), but 700+ million is the bar it has to reach imho.

Sing will just benefit from the post-Pets brand goodwill effect, as well as the added all-star voice cast, and even tho it will not make as much as Pets, it'll still be a big hit w/strong 2017 legs in it.

1 minute ago, Spaghetti said:

Trailer with Deadpool?

No. Nothing was sent to theaters this week. Most likely an online release next week and sent to theaters with Zootopia (which will see a pre-ponderance of talking animal trailers, Angry Birds, Dory, Pets, Storks, Sing).