CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

On 1/23/2017 at 0:57 PM, Blankments said:

agh as you guys probably expected, i hated this

However, as I didn't expect, I absolutely loathed this; thought it was the second worst Illumination film yet (after Minions).

You disliked Sing more than Hop? Or The Lorax? 

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

Today SING will hit a major milestone at the domestic box office!

It will surpass SHREK to become the second highest non-Disney/Pixar original animated film of all time doesmtically after only Secret Life of Pets, also from Illumination.

Can't wait. 

• Like 5

Sing has had an amazing box office run! And what a multiplier! A massive 7.65x opening weekend to final gross (inflated multiplier due to Christmas Eve falling mid-weekend) and a still impressive 3.55x 6-day opening to final gross.B)

• Like 2

With an increase this weekend, SING just crossed MONSTERS UNIVERSITY to become:

- the 14th highest animated film of all time domestically

- the 2nd highest animated non Disney/Pixar original film of all time domestically

- Great chance to surpass the Croods to become 3rd highest grossing non Disney/Pixar original film WW of all time!

• Like 5

SING is the #7 most valuable blockbuster of 2016

Rank | Movie | (Studio) | Net Profit

1. The Secret Life Of Pets (Uni) – $374.65M
2. Deadpool (Fox) – $322.24M
3. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Dis) – $319.60M
4. Finding Dory (Dis) – $296.60M
5. Zootopia (Dis) – $294.90M
6. The Jungle Book (Dis) – $258.15M
7. Sing (Uni) – $194.25M
8. Captain America: Civil War (Dis) – $193.40M
9. Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them (WB) – $164.70M
10. Suicide Squad (WB) – $158.45M
11. Doctor Strange (Dis) – $122.65M
12. Moana (Dis) – $121.30M
13. Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice (WB) – $105.70M
14. The Conjuring 2 (WB) – $98.30M
15. Hidden Figures (Fox) – $95.55M
16. Kung Fu Panda 3 (Fox) – $76.65M
17. The Angry Birds Movie (Sony) – $72.00M
18. La La Land (Lionsgate) – $68.25M
19. Don’t Breathe (Sony) – $59.10M
20. Central Intelligence (WB) – $52.00M

HONORABLE MENTION: Bad Moms (STX) – $50.80M; Sausage Party (Sony) – $47.05M; The Purge: Election Year (Uni) – $44.60M

http://deadline.com/2017/04/most-profitable-movies-2016-secret-life-of-pets-deadpool-disney-1202060846/

• Like 3

Illumination has become a massive, massive brand in animation, especially in North America. I can't believe the amount of cash their films make domestically, at least since DESPICABLE ME 2.

Absolutely loved SING, by the way. Such a fun movie.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Illumination has become a massive, massive brand in animation, especially in North America. I can't believe the amount of cash their films make domestically, at least since DESPICABLE ME 2.

Absolutely loved SING, by the way. Such a fun movie.

I agree I have a feeling that DM3 will be huge domestically, and yet people say that it will suffer from franchise fatigue, but I think people are underestimating it. Illumination is a big animation studio brand just like Marvel Studios is a big comic book movie studio.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chrisman0606 said:

I agree I have a feeling that DM3 will be huge domestically, and yet people say that it will suffer from franchise fatigue, but I think people are underestimating it. Illumination is a big animation studio brand just like Marvel Studios is a big comic book movie studio.

Illumination single handedly saved Universal from having a downright terrible year in 2016. I guess you could say that about other studios and their main properties though. Still, THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS and SING were Universal's bingest films last year, by far. Their next biggest was JASON BOURNE, with $162.4M domestic. Next best? January's RIDE ALONG 2, with $91.2M.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Captain H said:

Illumination will continue to do really well as long as there are still 5-10 years old in this world.

Or adults who can let loose and have some unabashed fun once in awhile. As long as we have those, too, Illumination will be fine. Luckily there are plenty of those in this world at the moment.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JB33 said:

Or adults who can let loose and have some unabashed fun once in awhile. As long as we have those, too, Illumination will be fine. Luckily there are plenty of those in this world at the moment.

I guess that'll be true with their better films (Sing, and Despicable Me films). The rest range from burn it with fire (Minions) to tolerable (The Lorax)

SING is now officially the second highest non-Disney Pixar original animated film of all time worldwide!

Today it officially surpassed KFP1 to become the #2 WW of all time among non Disney/Pixar originals and comes after Illumination's Pets. 

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $270,329,045    42.8%
Foreign:  $361,479,012    57.2%

Worldwide:  $631,808,057  
Edited by MinaTakla