CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

The Taron Edgerton stuff looks like it could have been a solid movie, unfortunately there's everything else. Really bad animation quality as well; this and SLOP have the same budget (75M) so the difference was definitely made up for bigger names and song rights.

17 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Honestly, if this movie had Taron Egerton's character as the lead, I'd probably be way more interested in this. :unsure:

This will do great over the Christmas period. Great release date and the animation looks good as well. Will be the family and little kids alternative, can see it doing 150M or so.

2 hours ago, shayhiri said:

The Shay is impressed.

One more nail in Pixar's coffin. People are waking up.

Lol Shay. Keeping on Shay'ing.

It's admittedly an improvement... but that's following one of the worst, most-pandering trailers for an animated film I've ever seen in my life. So it's kind of a given. The melodramatic plots are cliche and it's kind of insane that they actually used the same Latin dance song AND had it at the end of the trailer as The Peanuts Movie.

So eh?

• Like 3

It's definitely an improvement, (but considering the first trailer, I'd be highly concerned if it wasn't.) but it still can't shake the feeling of being Diet Zootopia for me. So eh, I guess. It's not horrible, not great, just eh.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

How many animals doing humans stuff this year already ?

Yeah... and don't forget Warcraft.

At least the other critters are cute, not butt-ugly. (And therefore won't bomb - unlike the Orcfest.)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

Okay, I guess I spoke too soon.  This trailer should have been first but still, too many plot details revealed.  We don't want your entire movie scrunched and summarized in 3 minutes, give audiences something new to look at.   Of course this trailer is going to get a better reaction from me after that horrendous teaser. 

I wouldn't quite say it's the only kids movie over Christmas.

If Moana is high quality, it will still be killing it at the box office.

Anybody remember Frozens Christmas run after being released in November?

Illumination isn't a household name enough to guarantee box office on an original animation.  

Might do well but it might struggle after a run of Zootopia, Finding Dory and Moana which will still be going strong.

Edited by Planodisney

15 hours ago, goldenstate5 said:

Lol Shay. Keeping on Shay'ing.

It's admittedly an improvement... but that's following one of the worst, most-pandering trailers for an animated film I've ever seen in my life. So it's kind of a given. The melodramatic plots are cliche and it's kind of insane that they actually used the same Latin dance song AND had it at the end of the trailer as The Peanuts Movie.

So eh?

I liked the new trailer but I do wonder how they are going to handle different plot points at once given story is Illumination's biggest weakness

I suspect this won't be a $200m+ but I think   $120-150m seems likely. I do think after so many talking animal movies, audiences might be weary of them by the time we get to December 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I liked the new trailer but I do wonder how they are going to handle different plot points at once given story is Illumination's biggest weakness

I suspect this won't be a $200m+ but I think   $120-150m seems likely. I do think after so many talking animal movies, audiences might be weary of them by the time we get to December 

I think it will do better than Daddy's Home did for sure. This Christmas looks way more balanced in terms of big releases than last year. Passengers, Sing and Assassin's Creed can all do really well the week after Rogue One.

12 hours ago, grim22 said:

I think it will do better than Daddy's Home did for sure. This Christmas looks way more balanced in terms of big releases than last year. Passengers, Sing and Assassin's Creed can all do really well the week after Rogue One.

Well considering Rogue One should do $400-500 million less than Episode VII, I'd expect all three of those (plus Office Christmas Party and Silence) to do moderately well. 

December 2016 is definitely well-balanced (my bullish predicts below) 

1. Rogue One: $470 million 
  2. Passengers: $260 million 
  3. Sing: $185 million 
  4. Silence: $130 million 
  5. Office Christmas Party: $115 million 
  6. Assassin's Creed: $90 million 
  7. Patriots Day: $80 million 
  8. La La Land: $75 million 
  9. Collateral Beauty: $40 million 
  10. The Bye-Bye Man: $30 million 
  11. Why Him?: $25 million 
  12. Kidnap: $20 million