CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

2 hours ago, mahnamahna said:

Well considering Rogue One should do $400-500 million less than Episode VII, I'd expect all three of those (plus Office Christmas Party and Silence) to do moderately well. 

December 2016 is definitely well-balanced (my bullish predicts below) 

1. Rogue One: $470 million 
  2. Passengers: $260 million 
  3. Sing: $185 million 
  4. Silence: $130 million 
  5. Office Christmas Party: $115 million 
  6. Assassin's Creed: $90 million 
  7. Patriots Day: $80 million 
  8. La La Land: $75 million 
  9. Collateral Beauty: $40 million 
  10. The Bye-Bye Man: $30 million 
  11. Why Him?: $25 million 
  12. Kidnap: $20 million 

Yeah, looks like a pretty good lineup of movies for sure.

• Like 1

It just looks boring. Everyone is a cliched human archetype with nothing "animal" about them besides their appearance; the down on his luck director, the son of a gangster who wants to be legit, the overworked housewife trying to rekindle a dream. Nothing about the characters makes me want to know more about them personally. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I don't see the appeal of a movie about a bunch of bland wannabe singers that just happen to be anthropomorphic animals 

I'm not really sure what the point of making them animals was either honestly? It doesn't even look like it's acknowledged. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It just looks boring. Everyone is a cliched human archetype with nothing "animal" about them besides their appearance; the down on his luck director, the son of a gangster who wants to be legit, the overworked housewife trying to rekindle a dream. Nothing about the characters makes me want to know more about them personally. 

I personally think it looks like one of Illumination's better idea especially as it's written and directed by Garth Jennings who is outside the Illumination core players and also directed Son of Rambow which I quite liked. It is the storytelling I worry about because there's a lot of characters, the animation is fine although slightly worse than Pets and Minions, I guess the budget went on song rights and the starry cast.

8 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Oh and he's misunderstood and his father doesn't approve of his dreams. This is such cliche, trite stuff that is MADE for those who eat that cheesy basic cable/network soap shit like Glee up. 12 mil views, good god.

I don't hate the silly stuff Illumination makes but I sincerely hate this absolutely. What boring, pandering drama sludge.

8 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm not really sure what the point of making them animals was either honestly? It doesn't even look like it's acknowledged. 

Literally it's to give it a visual gimmick. That's it. Make them people and this would be the blandest thing ever. Zootopia had a reason for why this world exists and why we're exploring it. This is just a cliche singing competition dramedy with animals.

This seems like the kind of project that could have been HUGE in, like, 2008. Still think it can do a DOM total around The Lorax, but if Moana lives up to the hype, and Rouge One does whatever it wants (It's STAR WARS; it's gonna attract kids no matter what), it does have a bit of competition, and I'm not sure how appealing this will be to kids.

Opening Weekend: $32m (3-day weekend)

Domestic Total: $215m

I think this movie will do just fine. It might surprise and do better than SLOP and Moana.

9 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

The Rock is a failed football player turned actor.

That's an unfortunate story. He was actually starting for a team w/ tons of football talent but an injury sidelined him and he never really recovered. He was replaced by one of the all-time greats at his position. He did have a successful "professional" wrestling career though.

Edited by UrosepsisFace
  • Like 1

Looks like a run of the mill fluff movie. Entertaining enough. I'm surprised at the amount of disdain it's getting. It'll be an ok movie that probably will attract audiences who just want a movie that's entertaining with no real depth.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, goldenstate5 said:

Oh and he's misunderstood and his father doesn't approve of his dreams. This is such cliche, trite stuff that is MADE for those who eat that cheesy basic cable/network soap shit like Glee up. 12 mil views, good god.

I don't hate the silly stuff Illumination makes but I sincerely hate this absolutely. What boring, pandering drama sludge.

mila-relax.gif

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Spaghetti said:

This seems like the kind of project that could have been HUGE in, like, 2008. Still think it can do a DOM total around The Lorax, but if Moana lives up to the hype, and Rouge One does whatever it wants (It's STAR WARS; it's gonna attract kids no matter what), it does have a bit of competition, and I'm not sure how appealing this will be to kids.

Opening Weekend: $32m (3-day weekend)

Domestic Total: $215m

I doubt it'll crack $200m but $140-160m, wouldn't surprise me. Second lowest Illumination film but still a success because of the low budget

• Like 1