ecstasy

WKD 3 Day Est. RA 41.2m, LS 23.2m, NJ 20.5, JR 17.2, FRZ 11.9

Just got an invite to an early screening of "Think Like a Man, Too". I know Kevin Hart is popular right now but anchoring 3 big movies in the space of a few months sounds like overkill.

Or do you mean more money in the bank. 

• Like 1

In Siena I ate a Pizza with just tomato sauce and cheese and it was so delicious I almost gave up on all other pizza's sold in other countries. 

Oh man, pizza margherita. Possibly the best pizza. Though I do like to go crazy with ham and pepperoni sometimes. 

Just got an invite to an early screening of "Think Like a Man, Too". I know Kevin Hart is popular right now but anchoring 3 big movies in the space of a few months sounds like overkill.

Isn't he doing a Twins remake with LeBron next? :rofl:

• Like 1

Lego will be big, with a big opening weekend, but won't come close to Frozen numbers.The big difference is that Lego looks totally geared to young children, which is fine, and parents will take them to see it, but I doubt those parents will be interested in seeing it more than once, and thy are the ones buying the tickets, so I doubt "multiple viewings ,which have helped Frozen enormously, will be as much of a factor. Also, I don't see Lego crossing over into other demographics the way Frozen did, how many middle aged couples without kids or seniors will go to Lego?I think a really solid run for Lego would be 150-180.

Of course this isn't going to do as well as Frozen, nobody is saying it will. But I don't think it's fair to say this appeals ONLY to children. This seems like a much broader appealing movie that Frozen was initially. I thought the trailers for Frizen were horriby generic and let's face it, Disney Princess movies are generally targeted towards girls. Yes, we can now say it broke out of that demographic because there is proof, but we didn't know it was going to initially. I didn't give a shit about it until I heard some middle aged male critics talk about how much they loved it. I think the focus on Batman and some of the supporting characters and the especially the humor, is going to give the Lego movie plenty of opportunty to break out a little. I haven't been as excited about an animated movie like I am for Lego in a very long time.
  • Like 2

Of course this isn't going to do as well as Frozen, nobody is saying it will. But I don't think it's fair to say this appeals ONLY to children. This seems like a much broader appealing movie that Frozen was initially. I thought the trailers for Frizen were horriby generic and let's face it, Disney Princess movies are generally targeted towards girls. Yes, we can now say it broke out of that demographic because there is proof, but we didn't know it was going to initially. I didn't give a shit about it until I heard some middle aged male critics talk about how much they loved it.I think the focus on Batman and some of the supporting characters and the especially the humor, is going to give the Lego movie plenty of opportunty to break out a little.I haven't been as excited about an animated movie like I am for Lego in a very long time.

Anecdotal evidence coming up, feel free to ignore.

I was in a mall last week, and WB basically overadvertises at that mall. Currently, all the advertising is for Lego, and in the elevator these 2 men who looked to be in their mid-30s or so looked at the poster and went (paraphrasing) "Hey, Batman, Superman and Legos, looks cool. Wait, Is that Space-Guy? I haven't seen that character in over 20 years, really want to see this movie now"

I am assuming similar nostalgic sentiments exist for a lot of people with some of the characters who will appear in this movie.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I used to have very high hopes Lego at the box office. Much more cautious about it now. Maybe the market's expanding enough early in the year to help it get over $150m, but right now I'm thinking it might end up closer to Rango numbers.

• Like 1