Neo

No Time To Die | October 8 2021 | 82% on RT | RIP Sean Connery

Extract from Hans Zimmer's Variety interview where he discusses the No Time to Die score:

Well, it was surprising, and let me explain why. I’ve known [producer] Barbara Broccoli for a long time, and we’re friends. I never thought we would work together on something like that, so it was surprising just to get the call. And I asked her if it was okay that Steve Mazzaro, who is one of the most fabulous composers I know, could do it with me, because there was very little time. And of course she said yes. Steve should really be the top name on the Bond film. I hope we’ve done it justice.

At least he's upfront about other people writing the score with/for him.

Continued:

Here’s the thing. I didn’t know if I wanted to do it. So I phoned [guitarist] Johnny Marr, and I said, “I have two questions to ask you. First question is, what’s the only guitar part worth playing in a movie?” And he said, “the Bond part” [the James Bond Theme]. And I said, “yeah right. Second question: Do you think I should do the movie and would you play the guitar part?” So that sort of settled that. Johnny was right. He wanted to bring guitar back into the score. We were just embracing our inner John Barry [the English composer who established the Bond music traditions back in the 1960s].

When one has Johnny Marr involved, one must use him as much as possible.

See here for the full article:

• Like 1

And there will be more time expanse records broken soon...

The way things are going, this is moving to 2021, along with every other blockbuster.

The only question is...which date roulette will be next? 

10 hours ago, Macleod said:

And there will be more time expanse records broken soon...

The way things are going, this is moving to 2021, along with every other blockbuster.

The only question is...which date roulette will be next? 

Only the Covid virus knows....

5 hours ago, antovolk said:

MI6 reporting a Summer 2021 move is under consideration, and no PVOD on the table 

Why a PVOD release for a $250 million film would ever be on the table in the first place is beyond me.

Bond tends to draw an older than usual audience for an action franchise and those crowds won't be going near a multiplex the rest of the year so summer sounds like a good bet. Maybe 4th of July weekend where it can easily coexist with Minions.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Bond tends to draw an older than usual audience for an action franchise and those crowds won't be going near a multiplex the rest of the year so summer sounds like a good bet. Maybe 4th of July weekend where it can easily coexist with Minions.

I think since Universal distributes it OS they can slot it on June 11th if (or when) Jurassic World 3 gets delayed.

Edited by cookie

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Maybe 4th of July weekend where it can easily coexist with Minions.

Good counterprogramming idea. Hopefully releasing a film starring the British action hero on that particular weekend doesn't backfire.

47 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

I'm surprised Tenet hasn't announced a delay. I bring it up since Bond is looking to delay I wonder if Tenet moves to 2021 and everything else follows.

Or Tenet takes Bond's old November slot if that moves first.

4 hours ago, Eric Sparrow said:

I'm willing to bet that BOND is one of the last that would succumb to PVOD.  Broccoli/Wilson will hold this thing until 2025, if need be... it took them long enough to make it, what's a few more years? 

• Like 1

It's probably not a good idea to jump into this release model straight away with this film. We've no idea right now if Mulan could end up becoming successful this way, so it's best to wait and see what happens.

In addition, if it does fail, Disney has the resources to shake it off easily. If a Mulan-type release fails for this film, MGM wouldn't recover nearly half as easily (heck, it might not recover at all if No Time to Die ends up losing money).

On 8/4/2020 at 6:46 PM, Macleod said:

I'm willing to bet that BOND is one of the last that would succumb to PVOD.  Broccoli/Wilson will hold this thing until 2025, if need be... it took them long enough to make it, what's a few more years? 

Doesn't the studio need the movie's profit to pay back the mortgage? Each day is burning money with that huge cost.

On 8/14/2020 at 6:47 PM, xiazhi said:

Doesn't the studio need the movie's profit to pay back the mortgage? Each day is burning money with that huge cost.

Sure.  Thus the precarious conundrum.  But I'll still bet that BOND will go to 2021 before they relent to streaming. 

But you know...2020 continues to be unprecedented!