Neo

No Time To Die | October 8 2021 | 82% on RT | RIP Sean Connery

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

MGM is lucky because the final theater contracts had not been signed;if they had presales would have started. Would have been a major and expensive legal headache to move it after the contracts had been signed.

Universal isn't so lucky as they has already started presales in many countries. 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Universal isn't so lucky as they has already started presales in many countries. 

I think you mean the theaters Universal signed contracts with to show NTTD have started presales.

Anyway, Sure the terms of the contract say if the release is delayed, by Universal, Uni has to pay for any expenses incurred by the theaters.

Just now, dudalb said:

I think you mean the theaters Universal signed contracts with to show NTTD have started presales.

Anyway, Sure the terms of the contract say if the release is delayed, by Universal, Uni has to pay for any expenses incurred by the theaters.

Thankfully Universal is well equipped to handle that expense whereas I think something like that would hurt MGM a lot more.

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Thankfully Universal is well equipped to handle that expense whereas I think something like that would hurt MGM a lot more.

Yeah, Universal can take the blow; but MGM despite it's  heritage as one of the great studios of Hollywood's Golden Age is nowdays a small studio; this is the biggest thing they have had on their hands for a long,long, time.

MGM has never really recovered from its collapse in the early 1970's, it has manages to stay afloat but even after the UA Merger in 1981, it was never came anything near being the powerhouse it once was. That in the late 80's it had to sell it's film library..one of it's most valuable assets..to Ted Turner/Warners says everything.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

MGM is lucky because the final theater contracts had not been signed;if they had presales would have started. Would have been a major and expensive legal headache to move it after the contracts had been signed.

I can guarantee you that no one is feeling lucky today.

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

@TMP, you seeing this BS?

Villeneuve is my all-time favorite director and I don't think Dune will stand a chance in a crowded December if Eternals or even GvK move there (I bet GvK will be non-stop action like Aquaman).  Villeneuve doesn't pander to the general audiences like other auteurs do :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

we don't even know if things we'll be better in the future, this virus could very well evolve and kills billions.

Even for me, that's far too pessimistic. I consider myself a realist. This isn't the end of society. It's definitely one of the biggest obstacles society will face, and the fallout is going to be absolutely brutal, but this isn't the end of the world. It is possible to (relatively) keep this controlled.

South Korea for instance, the % of cases found has decreased every day for the past 6 days. Granted, they are still reporting hundereds of cases daily, but the exponential increase is being managed. Because they got ahead of the problem. Singapore too, it could have spiraled out of control after the Church outbreak, but the government was two steps ahead. Despite having the 2nd most cases a couple weeks back, now they aren't even in the top 10 (if you count the Diamond Princess as a country, as I guess world officials do).

Unfortunately, America will be one of the harder hit nations in the world, because of how far behind the ball we were in prep.

But this isn't the end of life as we know it.

Someone on the Bond forums is saying according to a note their friend working at a chain received part of the reason to move was the storyline being potentially insensitive, which makes sense...

the current rumours have been that it was about genetic / ecological warfare

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, antovolk said:

Someone on the Bond forums is saying according to a note their friend working at a chain received part of the reason to move was the storyline being potentially insensitive, which makes sense...

Reveal hidden contents

Hmm. Interesting. 

I was wondering what the "dangerous new technology" would be. This would be quite timely, alright-and interesting, too: it's been some time since Bond has had to face that kind of threat.

2 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Even for me, that's far too pessimistic. I consider myself a realist. This isn't the end of society. It's definitely one of the biggest obstacles society will face, and the fallout is going to be absolutely brutal, but this isn't the end of the world. It is possible to (relatively) keep this controlled.

South Korea for instance, the % of cases found has decreased every day for the past 6 days. Granted, they are still reporting hundereds of cases daily, but the exponential increase is being managed. Because they got ahead of the problem. Singapore too, it could have spiraled out of control after the Church outbreak, but the government was two steps ahead. Despite having the 2nd most cases a couple weeks back, now they aren't even in the top 10 (if you count the Diamond Princess as a country, as I guess world officials do).

Unfortunately, America will be one of the harder hit nations in the world, because of how far behind the ball we were in prep.

The level of ignorance about the virus displayed on this forum is  pretty scary. People are saying crap without  any knowledge whatsoever.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

Hmm. Interesting. 

I was wondering what the "dangerous new technology" would be. This would be quite timely, alright-and interesting, too: it's been some time since Bond has had to face that kind of threat.

If the new technology is a biological weapon,then we have main reason this was delayed....

BOnd did face a biological weapon menace in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".

7 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

In case nobody remembers, the swine flu in 2009 infected millions and killed over 200 thousand people worldwide. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned about coronavirus, but it puts things in perspective. 

• Like 2

In case nobody remembers, the swine flu in 2009 infected millions and killed over 200 thousand people worldwide. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned about coronavirus, but it puts things in perspective. 

That’s a good point but in that comparison the question is whether enough was done in 2009 to prevent the death of 200,000 people worldwide. Do we want to accept that hundreds of thousand of people can die now because it happened before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I think they should have released the film in April. They will taking a hit of $30-50mn in marketing & $25-30mn Interest. That's roughly $55-80mn, which need additional gross of $125-180mn, which I don't think they were losing.

China is shut down but its not like film was going to earn significantly there which can be earned later as well as we have seen with many delayed release.

• Sad 1

I think they should have released the film in April. They will taking a hit of $30-50mn in marketing & $25-30mn Interest. That's roughly $55-80mn, which need additional gross of $125-180mn, which I don't think they were losing.

China is shut down but its not like film was going to earn significantly there which can be earned later as well as we have seen with many delayed release.

But the loss in gross wasn’t just from China. If it had, I’d think they would be releasing in April. But most, if not all, of South East Asia is shuttered. Also parts of Europe and the Middle East. They were looking at a $300m loss, at least.

“...theaters across the world have been shuttered in recent weeks, stretching from Japan to Italy. That could have resulted in a minimum of 30 percent shaved off the final box office tallies — a possible $300 million out of a likely $1 billion global haul.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/mgm-take-30-million-hit-moving-bond-film-no-time-die-1282803

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk