Neo

No Time To Die | October 8 2021 | 82% on RT | RIP Sean Connery

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think Disney is doing this more to show the flag during the Holidays then anything else. Looks bad to the stockholders to totally give up the Holiday season.

There's probably a joke in here about the failure of Mulan, but I can't find it.

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2020 at 2:53 PM, 35MM-18 said:

There's probably a joke in here about the failure of Mulan, but I can't find it.

No really, Disney tried a big blockbuster release with Mulan, failed badly not going to repeat the experiment.

Nile has a modest budget, won't hurt Disney much if it flops.

• Like 1

I've read a few snippy British articles implying Bond let cinema down when it needed him the most since the delay was cited as a reason for Cineworld closing, but that seems willfully ignorant of how bad things are getting again. The movie's not a charity.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Apple spending like 600M on this would be absolutely hilarious.     

There’s no way it would possibly be a good value proposition for them, piracy would be rampant, and theater owners would be apoplectic.

Based on thread, it could be an all-in buyout for the full franchise. Which would be a big enough deal. The official streaming home of Bond.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

I highly doubt that happens. This is the jewel in MGM’s crown, even $600 million would be leaving money on the table for a potential billion dollar post pandemic gross, they’ll just keep pushing it back if they have to.

Netflix and Apple can make all the offers they want, but it doesn’t mean MGM is seriously considering any of them.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I highly doubt that happens. This is the jewel in MGM’s crown, even $600 million would be leaving money on the table for a potential billion dollar post pandemic gross, they’ll just keep pushing it back if they have to.

Netflix and Apple can make all the offers they want, but it doesn’t mean MGM is seriously considering any of them.

Well, a billion dollar post pandemic gross still equals around $ 500M for MGM

If they sell the movie for +500M they’ll getting basically the same amount. Theaters otherwise will riot about this

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

More likely that MGM is using this as leverage for a sale (something that they've been intending for some time). I honestly don't see them selling this, but I can see the entire company being bought in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Based on thread, it could be an all-in buyout for the full franchise. Which would be a big enough deal. The official streaming home of Bond.

Ahh, that would make more sense.

If Apple really wants to get in the game, they should buy Bond and AMC, then release it day and date in AppleTV and theaters — tickets free with an AppleTV subscription :Venom:

Spending more than half a billion dollars on one movie would be sheer idiocy if that doesn't come with more attached regarding the overall franchise rights.

Just how many new subscriptions would Netflix get from something like Bond? Even in an optimistic scenario? Personally, I don't think it's a good deal for them.

And if one of the newer services goes all in on it, again, it has to be someone with a big enough reach to potentially tap into a well of new subscribers. Apple is the only one that has their product out worldwide but the Apple TV+ subscriber numbers are way too low in comparison. This is the kind of product that would help, I'm sure, but they would then need to sustain it (I'm an Android boy, but I have loads of friends using Apple and most of them did the free trial to watch a show or two but never subscribed) - which is why this being a one-off may not be a good deal even for their deep pockets. 3 movie deal worth a billion, tie in the release dates for each movie to a major Apple launch, so that you get even more incentive (what with the new product = one year of free service thing), bla bla...

I firmly believe huge, 200 million productions CAN go to streaming, but only under the right circumstances, in order for it to be a sustainable model. A one-off 500M+ deal sounds like a bad deal to me, but in this current climate...fuck knows.

Edited by reddevil19
  • Disbelief 1

29 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

What's making me even more sceptical about this is that Netflix is involved in these talks. Netflix is not at the stage where they can pay $500 mil for one movie.

They just announced a 200M movie with the Russos. I know that's still a huge price hike, and I know they're in a lot of debt so maybe they're not "at the stage" to spend that kind of money, but I'm pretty sure Netflix execs don't really care about that stuff, so long as it excites their algorithms

• Like 1