Neo

No Time To Die | October 8 2021 | 82% on RT | RIP Sean Connery

Why not just sell the whole studio? Aren't their big franchises Bond, Rocky, and like Pink Panther? Bond alone has a ton of value but I do agree that at that point just sell the whole studio. The studio it self is a classic brand, and they do have some value in their tertiary franchises that probably sell more together than piecemeal. I'm sure Amazon, Apple, and Netflix would be interested in it for Bond alone, and they are clearly willing to spend huge money to build up their studios.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Count Eric said:

They just announced a 200M movie with the Russos. I know that's still a huge price hike, and I know they're in a lot of debt so maybe they're not "at the stage" to spend that kind of money, but I'm pretty sure Netflix execs don't really care about that stuff, so long as it excites their algorithms

I feel like there's a difference between 200 mil and half a billion though. And investors will probably not be happy since Netflix has been promising that they'll reduce costs.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I feel like there's a difference between 200 mil and half a billion though. And investors will probably not be happy since Netflix has been promising that they'll reduce costs.

A Bond movie would pretty easily be the biggest movie Netflix has ever released though. I think it would be well worth the money for the amount of people on the service who would watch.

• ...wtf 1

17 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

A Bond movie would pretty easily be the biggest movie Netflix has ever released though. I think it would be well worth the money for the amount of people on the service who would watch.

A considerable amount of people who are looking to watch Bond likely already have Netflix though. There's probably some cap for the amount of subs a service can get from the release of one piece of content (espescially one already as large as Netflix) and I don't think Bond's going to drive subs substantially more than something like Hamilton has for D+. $500 mil for something that might get the service 5 mil or so subs than usual seems like over-kill to me.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Amount who would watch... Sure. But how many of those would actually be new? For a 600 million one-off purchase? The answer is simply not anywhere near enough. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 5:08 PM, cax16 said:

From Drew's newsletter.

"When Apple TV+ comes to the table with a $600 million check (one of the numbers I’ve heard is actually higher than that) for a one-year exclusive window on a film, that’s a number that you have to pay attention to, no matter what your history and no matter how much you cherish the theatrical experience."

"This is the big one for MGM. This movie is make or break for a studio that has basically been playing a financial shell game for years. It’s amazing that MGM has the legacy it does considering how long it has been limping along as a barely-functioning production entity."

"When your last film in the franchise made just over $800 million worldwide, and someone’s offering you almost that much for a single streaming window? That’s a conversation you have."

https://drewmcweeny.substack.com/p/could-james-bond-really-die-at-home

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

The rumors are real and IF this happens (big IF), it will only be because Eon Productions goes along with it. Buying MGM won't do anything if Barbara doesn't agree to it.  

The biggest detriment right now is they want a theatrical release outside of North America, and with COVID-19 having the expected fall/winter spike, that makes it unlikely to happen in Europe anytime soon and might be a deal breaker.  

I don't think Netflix would end up with it, going to come down to Apple or Amazon.  I would put my money on Apple.  

Personally, I would do it.  There is going to be almost nothing really different between now and mid-April 2021 when it comes to theaters being at any opening capacity that would allow pre-2020 level grosses.  

They should take the $500m or $600m and run for the hills.  Maybe turn it into a $1b deal and throw in television production and exclusive streaming rights to all prior Bond films. 

Theaters aren't going back to normal until maybe late summer 2021 at best and more likely into late 2021 or early 2022.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

There is mega mega money out there right now and the longer this goes on, the more desperate the streaming services are for big content.  The longer this goes on, the more desperate every studio not named Disney is for money.  The longer this goes on, the less confidence in traditional theaters being a reliable option for at least another year.  

I've always said no chance on Dune going to streaming because the scope and scale and filmed for IMAX nature of it, but if this much money is getting thrown around and you have something like Dune that would be a crapshoot to make money under normal conditions, if someone comes to you with $200m for North American rights, how do you pass that up?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Count Eric said:

This is the final "what matters" here.  No doubt that Queen Barbara is the deciding factor here in whether we will Live and Let Die direct-to-streaming or theaters...some year.  Fascinating moment.  A month or two ago, I too would have said...no way it happens.  But 2020 continues to surprise. 

And one more thing to think about: the numbers/buzz being floated around could indeed be coming from all the suitors, themselves...merely to put more public pressure on Broccoli/Wilson/EON and MGM to say Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  

Edited by Macleod

🤔🤔🤔

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. held discussions with Apple Inc. and Netflix Inc. about taking its new James Bond film directly to streaming, according to people familiar with the situation, but the studio says it’s committed to a theatrical release.

The film, “No Time to Die,” could fetch hundreds of millions of dollars in a potential streaming sale, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions were private. MGM declined to comment on any talks, but said the film “is not for sale.”

“The film’s release has been postponed until April 2021 in order to preserve the theatrical experience for moviegoers,” an MGM representative said.

Netflix and Apple declined to comment. Amazon Studios, another shopper for big-budget entertainment for its streaming service, said Friday that it’s not currently in talks to acquire the Bond film.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-23/apple-and-netflix-discussed-acquiring-bond-movie-for-streaming

Edited by Macleod