Neo

No Time To Die | October 8 2021 | 82% on RT | RIP Sean Connery

15 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I don't get it. Is she gonna be Jane Bond or a new character under the 007 code?

It seems James Bond is retired and the new female character is replacing him but not as Bond. She's a new character.

She's a totally new character who happens to have been promoted to 00-status after Bond retired and got his old number. 

That's pretty much it. 

15 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I don't think we'll get a female Bond.

Barbara Broccoli's been pretty adamant about keeping Bond a man for some time now, and I think Rachel Weisz and a couple of the former Bond girls have said that they think Bond should stay male too.

10 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

However this is like remaking the Iron Man movies with a female.

Well, luckily for you, you have like ten years to prepare for Iron Man 3000.

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

Well, luckily for you, you have like ten years to prepare for Iron Man 3000.

Well I be honest i would like to see some female characters portrayed with serious character flaws on screen so I would be down for that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

14 hours ago, JB33 said:

Oh God....men willingly giving up on the concept of alpha male. Humiliating.

You can still have the utmost respect for women and be an alpha male. This is nature we're talking about. Humanity can't be so arrogant as to think they can, and should, change nature.

What are you talking about?!?!!?? The five-ten thousand year history of modern humans is tots more relevant and important than any measly millions of years of biological evolution!

Anyway, characters that are carbon-clone copies of older, better characters are usually bad, but has there ever been a wannabe-clone copy character for the sake of divurshuty that hasn't been god-awful? Speaking of original female characters with character flaws, anyone recall "Xena: Warrior Princess," that super unpopular show with that unoriginal female character that women-hating "manbabies" despised that wasn't twice as more popular than its counterpart show "Hercules?"

It's like creating a character that serves some other purpose than to tell an opposite demographic that would usually not have any opposition to said character that they are wretched scum of the earth... actually facilitates in the enjoyment of said character among all.

Edited by I Am
  • ...wtf 1

11 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Well I be honest i would like to see some female characters portrayed with serious character flaws on screen so I would be down for that.

I agree, but after the outrage when Dany went over to the Dark Side in the last episodes of Game of Thrones I doubt we will see much of that.

Edited by dudalb

12 hours ago, 35MM-18 said:

She's a totally new character who happens to have been promoted to 00-status after Bond retired and got his old number. 

That's pretty much it. 

Barbara Broccoli's been pretty adamant about keeping Bond a man for some time now, and I think Rachel Weisz and a couple of the former Bond girls have said that they think Bond should stay male too.

Yeah, it's click bait.

I am pretty much on the political left, but I admit at times the "Progressive" virtue signaliers can make total asses of themselves. Damanding that James Bond be turned into a woman is an example of that.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:06 AM, George Parr said:

Well, how many spy thrillers have come even remotely close to such a success, regardless of gender?

There's Jason Bourne, which was big but hardly a box office giant either, Mission Impossible, maybe the Jack Ryan movies, and that's basically it. Maybe you can add Austin Powers to that, but that's more a humerous take on James Bond anyway. The odd single movie has been somewhat successful as well, but not to the point that a character turned into a household name.

The whole genre moves between not noteworthy and pretty decent hit, and only James Bond has managed to go much beyond that. Though even that is mostly internationally and not so much domestically.

They were talking about the Kingsmen series being the new 007 until the second film underperformed at the box office.

There have been other successful spy franchises, but none have come close to toppling Bond from his throne.

They did show a female Double O operative in "Thunderball". In the scene where all the double O's are in a room being briefed on the Thunderball mission, there are sitting in the dark except for 007, but one has a skirt.

The idea was this was going to be bunch of cameos with the  other Double O's  being  actors who were successful in other spy rolls, and Diana Rigg was supposed to be the lady Double O, (with Robert Vaughn and Patrick McNee among the other cameos) but when scheduling the actors together became impossible they scrapped the cameos idea and went with what we saw. Rigg of course would be a Bond Girl in OHMSS, and McNee would have a roll in A View To A Kill.

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

They were talking about the Kingsmen series being the new 007 until the second film underperformed at the box office.

There have been other successful spy franchises, but none have come close to toppling Bond from his throne.

Hold up, you're telling me that people were declaring that Kingsman, after 1 film (that made less than 50% of Skyfall and Spectre global), had supplanted the Bond franchise as cinema's marquee spy franchise?

I call BS on your narrative.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

58 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I agree, but after the outrage when Dany went over to the Dark Side in the last episodes of Game of Thrones I doubt we will see much of that.

Playboy Millionaire vs a Person Who burns down a city out of blind rage... ehhh 

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Please. Is Cersei not the perfect example of a female character with serious character flaws? The problem with Dany isn't that people hated that she had flaws but that her descent into madness was too quick and didn't make sense. Heck, I grew to dislike Dany exactly because I thought she was too arrogant, entitled and power hungry. Those are certainly character flaws in my book. 

If some of you aren't noticing flawed female characters, then perhaps you're arent paying close enough attention or watching enough tv shows or movies that center women characters. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

9 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Annapurna is in real trouble.  Wonder what this will mean for BOND U.S. distribution?  Guess MGM solo is a possibility...

https://deadline.com/2019/08/annapurna-bankruptcy-near-megan-ellison-larry-ellison-credit-facility-hollywood-studio-1202663429/

Not with Daddy's deep pockets and banks dependent on his business to such a degree they'll allow him to screw them and probably still strong arm them into lending his daughter more money.

Larry Ellison has a $1 billion line with JP Morgan and another with Wells Fargo, two of the banks with significant hold positions in the senior facility on Annapurna. Known as a hard-nosed businessman, Larry Ellison has been negotiating to buy her debt at approximately 80 cents on the dollar, which may be drawndown on his own credit line with those two banks, sources said. It is not a great prospect for those banks, to take a haircut on what they are owed, and then finance the result. But a bankruptcy alternative might only yield them 50 cents or 60 cents on the dollar.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Macleod said:

Annapurna is in real trouble.  Wonder what this will mean for BOND U.S. distribution?  Guess MGM solo is a possibility...

https://deadline.com/2019/08/annapurna-bankruptcy-near-megan-ellison-larry-ellison-credit-facility-hollywood-studio-1202663429/

Universal would probably end up taking over distribution for Bond since they're already doing OS distribution for MGM/Annapurna.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:50 PM, dudalb said:

I'd wager the closest spy franchise that has any clout is the Tom Cruise Mission Impossible series. Even considering that I agree with you assessment "none have come close to toppling Bond", Bond is still top dog and shall remain that way for some time.

Now, it'll be curious to see what life, if any Mission Impossible and a recast Ethan Hunt can do. Will audiences take to that as they did say Roger Moore. If that happens then I think it is fair to say MI is a strong second contender. Till then though MI is just a solid spy franchise.

I'd like another Damon Bourne film. To me that is the distant top third spy franchise.

I found it interesting that the third XxX entry brought Vin back as well as Ice Cube in an expanded role and established that the XxX Program was growing and has had more agents. That franchise will never financially beat Bond or MI. However, I'd like to see what that goes. A fourth film has been rumored.

A third Kingsman could right the ship. That franchise has potential. Can Disney/Fox correct course though??

Edited by Captain Craig

I don't know how much life M:I has once Cruise is done, he's the face of the franchise and much of the appeal is built around what he and his persona adds to it.

Edited by cookie

5 hours ago, cookie said:

I don't know how much life M:I has once Cruise is done, he's the face of the franchise and much of the appeal is built around what he and his persona adds to it.

They could try to make it more of an ensemble movie about the team, like the original TV series, but, yeah, it's future is up in the air when Cruise leaves.

As a fan of the original show growing up, I was never totally happy about the films being pretty much a Tom Cruise vehical, with the other team members very much in the background.but it's paid off for Paramount...except for the screw up with the contract with Cruise in MI3,which guaranteed no actor in Hollywood would ever get that generous a contract again.

Maybe they could promote the Rebecca Ferguson character to the lead, since she seems to have gained a following, but ,yeah, a Cruiseless MI would be a huge problem for Paramount.