Jump to content
Neo

No Time To Die | October 8 2021 | 82% on RT | RIP Sean Connery

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Dear Eric Hansen said:

@Bruce

 

I appreciate the posts, but there's no need to post one after the other in rapid succession. Just try to put everything into one post if you can, and it makes things much easier to read.

Sorry,I'm Chinese,so my English is not very good,and I'm afraid that I will made some grammer mistakes,so I put so many posts

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sharing the data from images which @Bruce wanted to post.

 

James Bond Rentals/Share

 

Dr. No - No Info

From Russia With Love - $3.9M in 1964 & $9.5M full run (Projected 18th biggest of 1964 initially but eventually in Top 5 )

Goldfinger - $19.5M in 1964 and $23M in full run (3rd Biggest of 1964 & 9th Biggest of All Time)

Thunderball - $26M in 1966 and $28M in full run (Biggest of 1966 & 7th Biggest of All time)

You Only Live Twice - $16M in 1967 and $18M in full run (2nd Biggest of 1967)
Casino Royale (Bond Parody) - $10M in 1967 (3rd Biggest of 1967)

 

Note: Rentals/Share mean the money actually made by the studio from film on box office. Back then probably 35-45% of gross numbers we see today.

 

So that resolves. Connery era Bond was MUCH bigger than Craig.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Sorry,I'm Chinese,so my English is not very good,and I'm afraid that I will made some grammer mistakes,so I put so many posts

If it helps. it's possible to edit your posts pressing the 3 dots in the right top corner of the message

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Skyfall in US had 75% audience in weekend above 25. Spectre after 3 years had 78%.

 

This releasing 6 years later, can it be 80%+ or even 85%?

 

No, b/c the 50+ aren't showing...so the percent won't go higher, but neither will the box office:)...

 

And thus, my theories on October DOM BO:)...

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Sharing the data from images which @Bruce wanted to post.

 

James Bond Rentals/Share

 

Dr. No - No Info

From Russia With Love - $3.9M in 1964 & $9.5M full run (Projected 18th biggest of 1964 initially but eventually in Top 5 )

Goldfinger - $19.5M in 1964 and $23M in full run (3rd Biggest of 1964 & 9th Biggest of All Time)

Thunderball - $26M in 1966 and $28M in full run (Biggest of 1966 & 7th Biggest of All time)

You Only Live Twice - $16M in 1967 and $18M in full run (2nd Biggest of 1967)
Casino Royale (Bond Parody) - $10M in 1967 (3rd Biggest of 1967)

 

Note: Rentals/Share mean the money actually made by the studio from film on box office. Back then probably 35-45% of gross numbers we see today.

 

So that resolves. Connery era Bond was MUCH bigger than Craig.

And that's just in NA market ,for the worldwide Connery's Bond is far more popular

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked my local IMAX for the evening shows on Thursday-Sunday, and this is busier than anything I’ve seen in literally years. All the good seats are gone. It’s nice to see, even if the lack of social distancing measures sets my teeth on edge a bit.

 

The midnights don’t seem like they’re going to be particularly busy though, they’d have been better off doing what they did with Spectre and having the first showings start at 8pm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the bond movies are coming to Hulu on Oct 1.  I haven't seen any of the Connery or Moore ones in at least 20 years so I don't remember a lot of those movies.  I need to re-watch those in preparation of the inevitable beating they're gonna get as hot stews of patriarchal masculinity and misogyny in No Time to Die Reviews and opinion pieces.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ozymandias said:

Most of the bond movies are coming to Hulu on Oct 1.  I haven't seen any of the Connery or Moore ones in at least 20 years so I don't remember a lot of those movies.  I need to re-watch those in preparation of the inevitable beating they're gonna get as hot stews of patriarchal masculinity and misogyny in No Time to Die Reviews and opinion pieces.

 

I mean, even the early Bond films have called him out for his problematic behavior. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JWR said:

 

I mean, even the early Bond films have called him out for his problematic behavior. 

"I think you're a sexist, misogynist dinosaur. A relic of the Cold War, whose boyish charms, though wasted on me, obviously appealed to that young woman I sent out to evaluate you."

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

"I think you're a sexist, misogynist dinosaur. A relic of the Cold War, whose boyish charms, though wasted on me, obviously appealed to that young woman I sent out to evaluate you."

 

And in Thunderball when Volpe calls him out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the end of Casino Royale tried to explain his coldness to women, especially with it being a reboot. He's an agent trained to be emotionless and use his charm to his advantage. We see this at the beginning with his lack of remorse for the death of a henchman's wife he'd used (to save a plane with innocent lives on in his defence). Bet then he changes when he meets Vesper, he lets his guards down, tells her she "stripped his armour" from him and practically quits being an agent, only for her to be the one playing him. It clearly breaks him and turns him cold. When M offers him more time to grieve, clearly sensing his pain he simply replies with  "Why? The jobs done, and the bitch is dead", and we are left with a cold Bond with serious trust issues

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also,I found that Connery's Bond was doing super great in Asia Market and Latin America Market

Goldfinger and Thunderball were both the highest grossing film of the year in Japan,and Thunderball even break “Gone with the wind” box office record in japan to become the highest grossing imported film in Japan,and 2th highest grossing film at that time in Japan only after Tokyo Olympic.

 

link:http://tieba.baidu.com/p/7027205387?share=9105&fr=sharewise&share_from=post&sfc=copy&client_type=2&client_version=12.10.1.0&st=1632570019&unique=E9CEA80F2D6BFD00116496544DEE5828
 

 

The most impressive performance for Bond film in Asia was“From Russia with love”,which is performance incrediblely in Asia market

“From Russia with love”broke All-time box office record in Phillipines,Malaysia,Singapore,Hongkong and South Korea

In Hongkong,From Russia with love gross over$2,000,000,broke all-time box office record in HongKong,the pervious record was Gone with the wind,gross over $1,200,000(counting re-release)

 

In South Korea,From Russia with love attracted more than 500,000 admission in Seoul city ,the pervious record was attracted 300,000 admission in Seoul,and From Russia with love hold the record for 12 years until the 1977 local film “Winter Lady”broke 007's record.

 

 And Connery's Bond is pretty popular in Taiwan market

Thunderball,You only live twice,On Her Majesty's secret service were all the highest grossing film of the year in Taipei(Roger Moore's Bond was popular in Taiwan,too,Moonraker and For your eyes only break Taipei all-time box office record)

Taiwan link:

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/7015662852?share=9105&fr=sharewise&share_from=post&sfc=copy&client_type=2&client_version=12.10.1.0&st=1632570488&unique=42FC572972275D26E7EA125C09CF5622

 

 

 

 

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Roger Moore's Bond is doing pretty great in Asia market ,too.

Moonraker was the top grossing film of the year in Singapore,Phillipines,Taiwan,Hongkong and South Korea

Moonraker broke all time record in Taipei and Phillipines

 

And Malaysia loves Bond,too.

Even License to kill was flopped in the entire world,but it still broke all-time box office record in Malaysia

overtook Indiana jones and the last crusade and The Miracle in Malaysia

 

 

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.