Neo

No Time To Die | October 8 2021 | 82% on RT | RIP Sean Connery

37 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Craig’s Bond run has two of the best themes (You Know My Name, Skyfall) and three of the worst (Another away to Die, The Writing’s on the Wall, No Time to Die)

The No Time to Die song is really good, possibly great depending on how it plays to the visual sequence they come up with in the movie.  I think Writing's On The Wall is better when played over that weird ass(albeit cool) credit sequence.  Another Way to Die? Yeah, well, everything about QOS is bland and boring so no argument there.

• Like 2

Just now, Ozymandias said:

The No Time to Die song is really good, possibly great depending on how it plays to the visual sequence they come up with in the movie.  I think Writing's On The Wall is better when played over that weird ass(albeit cool) credit sequence.  Another Way to Die? Yeah, well, everything about QOS is bland and boring so no argument there.

I actually agree I was surprised how pleased I was with Writing on the Wall when it played in the theater after the opening scene, sounded good there after thinking it sounded shit just as a song. NTTD could be elevated to permanent 2nd status if it plays well in the movie.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Anyway i think this is a pointless discussion so i'm finishing my argument here, but in my pov these hyperbolic reactions coming from everyone ended in 2018.

2018, seriously?) 2019 still had them, probably more than 2018, it was the year when Endgame was released and many many other anticipated films.

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Early signs encouraging though can't remember how they compare to the early Spectre reactions.

Just watched Goldeneye for the first time (up there with the best Bond films) was reminded how good Judi Dench is as M. She really was missed in Spectre.

My first 007 joint.

Some of the negative reviews are pointing towards things I've been concerned about but hopefully they don't bother me. This has been my most anticipated film of the last two years now. I do hope we go more late Connery/Moore next time though, I miss the fun camp. The talk of this being divisive amongst fans has made me very interested.

• Like 1

I honestly don't want a return to more camp, but they could do with a little more exciting. They're classy and polished productions these days but the thrills of the last couple films feel relatively pedestrian compared to what MI is offering considering Cruise is willing to die in the process of filming. Not to say that MI is better in every aspect.

Edited by MrPink

10 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I honestly don't want a return to more camp, but they could do with a little more exciting. They're classy and polished productions these days but the thrills of the last couple films feel relatively pedestrian compared to what MI is offering considering Cruise is willing to die in the process of filming. Not to say that MI is better in every aspect.

The trailers have been great and Craig shooting the flipping car is cool but I think the marketing and subsequently the film lacks a real big moneyshot. Doesn’t seem like there’s a set piece on the level of Spectre’s opening or the Shanghai sequence in Skyfall

56 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I don't see how NTTD's theme song would qualify as one of the worst. It's perfectly fine. 

I actually kinda like the Alicia Keys/Jack White thing. It's a bit more driving than the other songs. I guess it all comes down to whether I'm in the mood for Sam Smith's vocals for the Craig-era songs.

1 minute ago, elcaballero said:

I actually kinda like the Alicia Keys/Jack White thing. It's a bit more driving than the other songs. I guess it all comes down to whether I'm in the mood for Sam Smith's vocals for the Craig-era songs.

I feel like if they went with Jack White's part or just Alicia's part on its own it works. Mixed together it feels like a cacophony of dissonant tones.

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The trailers have been great and Craig shooting the flipping car is cool but I think the marketing and subsequently the film lacks a real big moneyshot. Doesn’t seem like there’s a set piece on the level of Spectre’s opening or the Shanghai sequence in Skyfall

I personally really love the motorcycle stunt but nothing else has so far really struck a chord. Again, I expect it all to be perfectly cool but not in a way that gets you on the edge of your seat.

5 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Skyfall really threw everything off, the last two themes have sounded like the Mel Brooks parody version of Skyfall. Everything about Skyfall is a hard pivot away from Quantum really, from cinematography to tone to theme. I didn't love the leaked Radiohead theme either though tbh.

I adored "Skyfall" as a Bond theme but wish the next song had gone in a different direction. Instead it was like how "Goldfinger" was iconic so they got Tom Jones to do something bombastic for Thunderball. But "Writing's on the Wall" also won an Oscar despite the lukewarm response, so it only encouraged the producers to stick with ballads. I love a good pop ballad, but it all gets sort of samey. Back when "Do I Wanna Know" was blowing up, I thought it had the perfect sound for a Bond theme.

There's an alternate universe where the NTTD releases on schedule and Ana de Armas shows up to premiere with Affleck. It's crazy how much this has been (understandably) delayed.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I adored "Skyfall" as a Bond theme but wish the next song had gone in a different direction. Instead it was like how "Goldfinger" was iconic so they got Tom Jones to do something bombastic for Thunderball. But "Writing's on the Wall" also won an Oscar despite the lukewarm response, so it only encouraged the producers to stick with ballads. I love a good pop ballad, but it all gets sort of samey. Back when "Do I Wanna Know" was blowing up, I thought it had the perfect sound for a Bond theme.

There's an alternate universe where the NTTD releases on schedule and Ana de Armas shows up to premiere with Affleck.

With Writing on the wall, I'm convinced that the Academy pressed play and mentally replaced it with Skyfall as it played. Only way that Oscar can be explained. That entire song is a buildup to nothing, you keep on waiting for the big crescendo which it never hits.