Neo

No Time To Die | October 8 2021 | 82% on RT | RIP Sean Connery

Henry Cavill would be a really good Bond, imo. Would need to slim down a bit because at the moment he looks as much of a spy as Douglas Quaid. But I thought he was fab in Man From Uncle and Mission Impossible.

He would be good but it would be incredibly unlikely, particularly if the rumours about him renewing his Superman contract are true.

I don't really see Tom Hardy as Bond, nor Idris Elba. Both are too old anyway.

Richard Madden would be good.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Roger Moore was the only famous actor they ever hired for Bond, and even then he was only known from TV. All this A-list actor speculation is for the birds.

Anyway... how the fuck has this not moved yet??

If I recall correctly, Liam Neeson was offered James Bond (but turned it down - obvs), that would have been a big name.

Also, given how long it now goes between different Bonds, I don't think it's useful to assume that decision making during X Bond period will be the same today.

18 years between the last Brosnan movie and the last Craig movie. The decisions made before aren't necessarily gonna be the decisions made now.

4 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Cavill doesn't have the charisma to play Bond. He's more suitable as the villain's henchman.

Cavill definitely has the charisma, he just needs the right material. Hell, same for Craig. He's dour in most of his Bond films, but that doesn't mean he's void of personality. 

So don't judge based on that - or physical aspect. he doesn't LOOK like a spy? I mean...seriously? We're talking about fuckin James Bond here, not real life.

But all that aside, I don't think it will be him.

Now, I am inclined to believe they'll go for someone fairly new on the scene, as it will make contract negotiations easier, cheaper, etc. But I do think one must consider that there might be a worry for producers regarding potential diminishing returns for the franchise. They might worry that a fresh UNKNOWN face will not be enough to bring Bond back up to Skyfall levels, especially if No Time To Die doesn't perform the way it needs to (even taking COVID into consideration). So they might want to go with someone recognizable, that will drum up interest beyond "I want to see the new Bond", and bring in a decent fanbase that "want to see X as the new Bond". Mind you, that could very well turn into a Battfleck situation if, again, the material ain't right.

Personally, I would have taken this time to seriously plan ahead who I would want to try and lure to the writing and directing slots, not just acting.

10 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Roger Moore was the only famous actor they ever hired for Bond, and even then he was only known from TV. All this A-list actor speculation is for the birds.

Anyway... how the fuck has this not moved yet??

Same withe Brosnan. He was well known, but for Television "Remington Steel" in parituclar.  And Remington Steel is basically a parody of Bond. Brosnan did it well enough to convince Cubby Brocolli "Damn it, he could do ti for real".

Brosnan was actually cast twice. He was supposed to take over from Moore, but at the last minute the studio that made Remington Steel  decided to go one more season, dspite the fact it had been announced the current season was the last, and Brosnan was contractually obliged to give prority to Steel. Dalton was brought in as almost a last mighute replacment. About seven years later, Brosnan fianlly got the role.

23 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

Fingers crossed for a Steven Zaillian screenplay.

He's got the pedigree - wonder if he'd be interested though. 

Hell, I wouldn't mind writer-directors being in charge and enacting their own vision, but I do think if they want a successful transition to a new actor (and potentially one that will stay with the franchise for a minimum 3-4 movies over a 10-15 year span), they need to hit it out of the park with that movie so I just hope they put in the effort on that side, not just the casting.

Christopher Nolan for the next Bond would be great. He clearly wants to and there are virtually no other directors with his ability to craft an action blockbuster. 

Don't let him write it though or else the film will be about 007 hunting down all the dead Bond Girls.

38 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Christopher Nolan for the next Bond would be great. He clearly wants to and there are virtually no other directors with his ability to craft an action blockbuster. 

Don't let him write it though or else the film will be about 007 hunting down all the dead Bond Girls.

He's done a Bond-style film this year, and had Bond elements with Inception. He won't be able to resist NOT writing the script, so he should be kept away for the time being. Nolan needs to do a small movie next and reset or do something NOT contemporary, with all his actors seeming to have stepped out of his own wardrobe. If he does something big, hopefully it's a period piece epic.

Nolan should not be approached for the next Bond, both for his sake and the franchise's.

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Why though? 

He's getting lost in the big scale and missing character or, at least, narrative clarity (Dunkirk wasn't a huge movie by his standards and benefited from that narrower focus).

And his contemporary setting ends up with his movies looking the same and having fairly bland characters that even look alike. 

For me, his strongest movies are The Prestige (small scale, period piece, an adaptation) and Dunkirk (again, period piece, smaller than his 170-200 million productions, narrower scope). Then Interstellar - though it goes into melodrama at times - has some strong emotion and characters as well.

Obviously, TDK and Inception are fantastic examples of huge blockbusters executed almost flawlessly, but there is a clear tendency for him now to focus too much on the concept/theme and the unlimited budgets aren't helping him in that regard, as he will continue to try and go big. He needs something new in order to recharge, I feel.

21 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

He's getting lost in the big scale and missing character or, at least, narrative clarity (Dunkirk wasn't a huge movie by his standards and benefited from that narrower focus).

And his contemporary setting ends up with his movies looking the same and having fairly bland characters that even look alike. 

For me, his strongest movies are The Prestige (small scale, period piece, an adaptation) and Dunkirk (again, period piece, smaller than his 170-200 million productions, narrower scope). Then Interstellar - though it goes into melodrama at times - has some strong emotion and characters as well.

Obviously, TDK and Inception are fantastic examples of huge blockbusters executed almost flawlessly, but there is a clear tendency for him now to focus too much on the concept/theme and the unlimited budgets aren't helping him in that regard, as he will continue to try and go big. He needs something new in order to recharge, I feel.

Well, I disagree with this because I think Nolan has always been a director who cares more about creating an experience rather than characters (I mean the two examples you gave don't even have strong characters). I feel like both The Prestige and Inception reveal the kind of stories he wants to tell (I mean Cobb in Inception literally creates a Nolan movie in the form of a dream). I think he should try doing something different next but I don't think he should be making small budget films.

Nah, Nolan should not go make some lower scale/budget drama.

I agree that The Prestige is his best film. I don't doubt that his films might be better if they were smaller scale.

BUT

There are SO few directors who are able to spend tentpole budgets and make films on their own terms. There are so few $200m-budget films that are this interesting or complex or intelligent.

I would like to keep it that way.

• Like 1