Neo

No Time To Die | October 8 2021 | 82% on RT | RIP Sean Connery

Latest from THR's perspective.  Plenty of nice Bondian puns in here...  😉

Multiple sources say Apple kicked the tires on Daniel Craig starrer No Time to Die and mulled an offer in the $350 million to $400 million range for what would have been a 12-month license. (Bloomberg first reported Apple’s offer.) That was far short of the $650 million to $700 million — one source tells THR that even $800 million was mentioned — that MGM was hoping to get to make such a deal worthwhile.

The valuations on the MGM side are informed by several factors. The movie cost around $250 million to produce, including the tax incentives from some of the shooting locations. There are licensing fees that need to be paid to United Artists, co-run by Megan Ellison’s Annapurna and MGM, and to Universal Pictures, which is currently set to distribute the movie internationally. Then there are generous box office bonus deals for stars Craig, Rami Malek as well as director Cary Fukunaga and others. There is also the $50 million or more spent on marketing the movie, which has been (so far) twice delayed. And MGM was basing their numbers on a presumed global box office of over $1 billion, a figure attained by 2012’s Skyfall but not by 2015’s Spectre, which grossed $880 million.

Multiple sources say that Broccoli was initially unaware of the streaming-rights fishing expedition for No Time to Die, and when pitched by Ulrich, quickly took the boats out of the water, so to speak. “This was definitely not a meeting of the minds,” says a top-ranking studio exec with knowledge of the overtures.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/behind-mgms-apple-overture-how-much-is-a-bond-movie-worth

Evaluating an offer agains the money you've already spent is like Intro to Business wk 2 stupidity.

Sunk. Cost. Fallacy.     

You’ve got to compare it to what you can realistically profit going forward, and if they think they’re getting a 1B+ WW gross in April seems like they’re in fantasyland. Obviously without knowing many of the particulars of the deal and behind the scenes financial situation we can’t say what a reasonable break even is, but 400 for a year seems like it’s got to be getting at least close.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Evaluating an offer agains the money you've already spent is like Intro to Business wk 2 stupidity.

Sunk. Cost. Fallacy.     

You’ve got to compare it to what you can realistically profit going forward, and if they think they’re getting a 1B+ WW gross in April seems like they’re in fantasyland. Obviously without knowing many of the particulars of the deal and behind the scenes financial situation we can’t say what a reasonable break even is, but 400 for a year seems like it’s got to be getting at least close.

This.  It seems most of these studios are acting like come April everything goes back to normal.  There does not seem to be an ounce of downside in their decision making process at least publicly.  When going back to normal is the absolute best case scenario and should be considered the long shot at this point. 

• Like 1

At this point it seems like next year is gonna be a bust in terms of any big movie looking to gain profits in theaters. So many studios are gonna keep playing the "kick the can down the road" game until they have no other option but to just release their stuff on one streaming service or another. A lot of executives are gonna have to rip-off some band-aids in the coming future, this pandemic aint gonna be over for a while no matter how badly they (or anybody else) wants it to be.

I'm personally not comfortable with going to a theater for a long while, the last movie I saw in theaters was Rise of Skywalker and it may remain that way for another year or so, until a real serious vaccine is ready(which I know takes a while). And I'm sure plenty of casual folks feel the same way as well.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's not going to take another year or so for a real serious vaccine to be ready.

We'll see.  Ready?  Out to the general public after it gets to everyone it needs to first?  Out to enough people to overwhelm the ignorant "I won't take this vaccine" folk after it's been approved by all major scientists?  It's gonna be a while...well into 2021, at best.  And all of the above is only if we get a more competent administration up top.  

Let me clarify that I'm talking from a US perspective here, as I know this is a global board, and I'm not sure where/what your perspective is.  It may very well play out differently in numerous parts of the world... 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Macleod said:

We'll see.  Ready?  Out to the general public after it gets to everyone it needs to first?  Out to enough people to overwhelm the ignorant "I won't take this vaccine" folk after it's been approved by all major scientists?  It's gonna be a while...well into 2021, at best.  And all of the above is only if we get a more competent administration up top.  

Let me clarify that I'm talking from a US perspective here, as I know this is a global board, and I'm not sure where/what your perspective is.  It may very well play out differently in numerous parts of the world... 

Ready enough to bring consumer confidence back up. Not everyone has to be vaccinated for that. And considering that most of the big movie states are liberal states with a lower anti-vax population and much better leadership (iirc, each state has their own plan), I expect widespread distribution and use sooner than a whole another year.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

The move was financially painful, given that the studio had already spent $66 million in marketing costs. Bringing “No Time to Die” to the screen was already a pricey proposition — the film, which marks Daniel Craig’s final turn as 007, carried a $301 million net budget. Plus, Craig and producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, who control the rights to the series, have generous backend and profit participation deals, limiting the amount of money MGM is able to make on the movie.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/no-time-to-die-james-bond-mgm-streaming-sale-1234819582/

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Not that surprised, given the rumours that've been floating around the past few months.