Neo

No Time To Die | October 8 2021 | 82% on RT | RIP Sean Connery

I think EON are far too traditional to go for Apple or Amazon although Amazon to be fair would still have the theatrical window but the reason I couldn't see either getting it is because MGM own Epix and they wouldn't want to miss out on Bond's pay TV window to either company. 

47 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think EON are far too traditional to go for Apple or Amazon although Amazon to be fair would still have the theatrical window but the reason I couldn't see either getting it is because MGM own Epix and they wouldn't want to miss out on Bond's pay TV window to either company. 

I'm almost certain both deal would not hinder much the theatrical release of movies like James Bond (and those players would not be the main theatrical distributor, a studio would still be involved for it).

Sony was purely involved in the theatrical release of most but not all market, if they change it it will be for a studio (or 2 studio), but all the others windows (usually Century Fox/MGM home media) are also in play and what Apple/Amazon would be after, along other product like the complete Bond filmography, possible tv/movie spin-of, video game adaptation deal, etc....

I doubt that the movie like Star Wars/Bond/MCU/DCEU that make 800m-1billion+ WW involve people that want to change the theatrical model or even care much about the theatrical windows length, they are incredibly thriving well on the current model.

Edited by Barnack

http://deadline.com/2017/10/mgm-theatrical-distribution-annapurna-james-bond-1202197849/

MGM Ramps Up Theatrical Distribution & Pacts With Annapurna; Easy Set Up To Roll Out Next Bond Film

MGM — one of the most recognizable brands in the world — is starting to roar. First they relaunched Orion Pictures and now this: MGM and Annapurna Pictures have formed a new joint venture for theatrical distribution in the U.S. With MGM moving back into distribution, it seems like the natural set-up to distribute the next Bond film. Although no one would comment on that, by joining together, they are actually bringing back a team into MGM that has a history in marketing and distributing a number of Bond films.

The studio noted in their announcement today that distribution for the 25th installment of Bond franchise, produced by Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, will be announced at a later date, but clearly MGM has — with this latest move — decided to exert more control over its own product. In addition, it allows both MGM and Annapurna to share the distribution and marketing overhead. Smart for both companies.

Very interesting if MGM is ramping up to once again distribute Bond

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

http://deadline.com/2017/10/mgm-theatrical-distribution-annapurna-james-bond-1202197849/

MGM Ramps Up Theatrical Distribution & Pacts With Annapurna; Easy Set Up To Roll Out Next Bond Film

They seem pretty sure to having Eon on board; the contract with Eon is the most valuable asset MGM has.

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I can't see the MGM-Annapurna combo getting Bond for one simple reason - global distribution. Annapurna and MGM don't have a OS distribution presence, and I really don't think EON would want Bond to be released piecemeal via a number of different contracts across countries, especially since Bond is doing really well OS right now.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I can't see the MGM-Annapurna combo getting Bond for one simple reason - global distribution. Annapurna and MGM don't have a OS distribution presence, and I really don't think EON would want Bond to be released piecemeal via a number of different contracts across countries, especially since Bond is doing really well OS right now.

When MGM distributed them (up util DAD) they had Fox do O/S. 

They might be looking into that kind of deal again though O/S at this point is so much more profitable they might as well hand the whole thing to another studio for distribution.

It's taken so long though they might be having trouble finding a studio that would give them as good terms as Sony did - even Sony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

When MGM distributed them (up util DAD) they had Fox do O/S. 

They might be looking into that kind of deal again though O/S at this point is so much more profitable they might as well hand the whole thing to another studio for distribution.

It's taken so long though they might be having trouble finding a studio that would give them as good terms as Sony did - even Sony.

I reckon MGM will go with WB for Bond because they have the marketing muscle. If you look at what the MGM/Annapurna deal covers, it's midbudget films and not tentpoles and it's domestic only. MGM can't afford to finance Bond on their own and even though Annapurna has deep pockets, a tentpole like Bond is not the same as financing and distributing a small film like Detroit and as @grim22 mentioned, neither studio has a OS presence.

Edited by Jonwo

I am amazed Amazon and Apple are also bidding. This will have bigger bid than even Marvel or SW franchise. 

of course if Marvel and SW were sold in this era one of the big tech giants would have bid like 5x the number for which Disney had gotten these franchises. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am amazed Amazon and Apple are also bidding. This will have bigger bid than even Marvel or SW franchise. 

of course if Marvel and SW were sold in this era one of the big tech giants would have bid like 5x the number for which Disney had gotten these franchises. 

AFAIK they're just bidding on distribution rights and the right/obligation to co-finance, EON/MGM aren't selling the property.  

And the last deal wasn't that advantageous fiscally for Sony - at least not directly.  Reportedly they made only $60 on Skyfall

http://variety.com/2015/film/box-office/spectre-box-office-1201633311/

Whoever wins the prize will be more interested in the prestige that the series brings than they will be fixated on the profits. Sony made less than $60 million for pushing “Skyfall” out around the world. There is a halo effect to these pictures that makes them valuable, insiders say. Distributing the films strengthens partnerships with brands and exhibitors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think the bid will be much smaller, maybe $0 and just contractual obligation for a certain number of Bonds production sharing and release ?

I doubt it would get more than the 6.x billion Marvel got for Bonds if they decided to sell it, has of now it is only a movie every 3 or 4 year's, no tv series yet, no video games, not the same merchandise in general output than Marvel/Star wars and certainly not 5x the numbers they got, not sure if Warner Brother is worth much more than that (over 30b) Time warner (Cable, warner, hbo and others asset) is worth a bit less than 80b all together. Liongates and all is libraries 4b at the stock market.