Moviedweeb

Most interesting film subtexts/allegories

Captain Phillips's can be interpreted as a reflection on The United State's place in the world. These tiny boats are desperate to board this gigantic ship filled with goods and commodities. I think the subtext is immigration and the desperation to "board" the US. It also shows how we see ourselves in relation to third world countries. The way Captain Phillips speaks to his kidnappers, with entitlement and a bit of arrogance as he tells them what they should be doing and even questioning their character – a kind of "we know best" attitude. The image of this tiny boat struggling to board this absolutely massive ship is powerful imagery and very memorable.  

This might just be my own personal take but I recently noticed that Forrest Gump might be a condescending symbol for democracy.

He impacts history without understanding what's happening or much foresight.

I wouldn't have noticed it if so many right-wingers didn't downplay the role of democracy these days.

Insert any animated movie about believing in yourself (HTTYD, Cloudy 1) too

I feel like Ratatouille works better because there's a stronger sense of social order in that film, and the two films you mentioned both strongly involve a male protagonist and a female love interest. I'm not saying that anyone in Rat is gay, but I feel like it fits the allegory better than most such films.
  • Like 1