Leyla

Carol (Todd Haynes+Blanchett, Mara, Paulson) | Limited Release 11.20.2015

Supposedly he's the worst part of the movie from early screenings.

He's barely in the book.

The book was fantastic, but this won't be for everyone or is a slow burner and quite sentimental. The techs look really phenomenal and this will be acting powerhouse for the two ladies. I hoped Mara goes lead and this can be nominated for two lead actresses which hasn't happened since Thelma and Louise.

Therese was the main character and it was told through her perspective in the novel, but apparently there have been talks of pushing her supporting for the season.

Watched the tease trailer. Am I the only one who think Cate Blanchet overacts in some scenes? Carol in the books acts more subtly.

I think the casting is perfect. I never got a really internal vibe from Carol. The whole book has a subtly that just can't be translated to film

I think Mara looks brilliant though.

its getting more positive reviews. will be a front runner for oscars in many categories,with a 9/10 ave rating -

now just have to wait revenant, bridge of spies and danish girl which will give it intense competition.

27 minutes ago, treeroy said:

Wide release box office not looking hopeful at all.

Well, duh. A sensitive lesbian romance doesn't exactly scream "blockbuster."

I was bummed to read that the distributor isn't planning on taking it wider than 100 theaters before Christmas. It's currently my most anticipated of this year's awards prospects that I have yet to see.

12 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I was bummed to read that the distributor isn't planning on taking it wider than 100 theaters before Christmas. It's currently my most anticipated of this year's awards prospects that I have yet to see.

People should be open-minded, nowadays if you want to see a good romance movie, the only ones left are gay or lesbian romance movies.

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

I'm not talking about blockbuster levels.

I'm saying that compared to recent widely released dramas that were hits, like Suffragette, Brooklyn, 45 Years, etc. it is doing very very poorly.

13 hours ago, treeroy said:

Wide release box office not looking hopeful at all.

Hold your horses. It's been out for exactly one week and its PTA was great. Weinstein never gives his late-November releases a real wide push till Christmas, and if this gets a BP nom (which it almost certainly will), it'll do fine. 

14 hours ago, treeroy said:

I'm not talking about blockbuster levels.

I'm saying that compared to recent widely released dramas that were hits, like Suffragette, Brooklyn, 45 Years, etc. it is doing very very poorly.

Suffragette was not a hit. It won't even make $5M in total. Carol will do much better than that even if it doesn't come close to blockbuster levels.