Leyla

Carol (Todd Haynes+Blanchett, Mara, Paulson) | Limited Release 11.20.2015

22 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

I mean, I doubt it'll be a Juno/SLP level hit, or maybe even TIG, but it's going to have a strong enough run if the critical love keeps it strong to the end.

Obviously not, but over 30m is possible which would double what Far from Heaven made in 2002. For a film like this that would be a strong result. 

• Like 1

This movie is really confusing me.

The performances are extraordinary. The way the film presents its characters and their relationship is wonderful. It looks astonishing, and using costumes to convey story is a successful neat trick. Everything about it is great...

but... I didn't really like it. I have no idea why, I just didn't. It's totally baffling to me as it's so strange to see a film which I can see has so many strengths, but not enjoy it. I really can't pinpoint why.

Maybe because I had been in the cinema for 12 hours by the time I watched it and I was just tired? I may try watch it again to see if I can solve my conundrum.

• Like 1

Even though this is (painfully) slow in many regards, I very much appreciated the more realistic take on love than we're typically treated to in movies. Usually great romances in film hinge on witty or involving dialouge and great chemistry between the stars, but in reality falling in love for many I think can be a lot more...well, boring, to put it bluntly. Sometimes it is just a wordless connection between two people, that sense that you found a person to be at ease with. This movie illustrated that brilliantly. So I don't know if I can ever sit through it again due to its trudging nature, but it is certainly a very well done portrayal. 

Finally got to see this with my wife.

She loved it.

I really wanted to like it, I saw a lot of strenghts. Loved Blanchet's performance, the flares and the close up were good, costumes were awesome.

But I was bored during the movie and this is rare.

The familly / divorce part worked for me and I was emotionnaly invested, but the love story did'nt quite do it for me.

I'm still happy to have seen it, I just did'nt enjoy it as much as I wish I had.

Also I went to a small cinema that I don't usually go to and the movie had some kind of "texture" in the whites. I don't know if it was from the projection or it's in the film. But it kinda bothered me.

• Like 2

Eh, it's still got two well-known actresses in leads, a striking look and style and some of the best reviews of the year, and it was riding a wave of buzz for months since Cannes. I'm not saying it ever had the chance be a big hit, but I would have expected it to slowly collect $25-30m DOM at least. Weinstein's mistake was the typical incredibly slow roll-out amidst a lot of competition - where The Imitation Game, The King's Speech and Silver Linings Plybook were crowd-pleasers that could only gain buzz before their wide release, Carol was riskier and probably should have gone wide much sooner. Instead it just fizzled out and got lost in the shuffle. Then again I can't really blame Weinstein for assuming he had a BP nomination locked up.

BOM doesn't even have a director page for Haynes, that's how not commercial his films have been. I mean, I think if Cameron had done a Lesbian Lusitania followup to Titanic, it would've made at least Brokeback Mountain money because he'd have gone for the sort of sentiment that gets a good response from the GA. I guess Weinstein's heard the allegations that Carol is "cold" and not working for the masses as a love story and is trying a new strategy:

:rofl:

Edited by BoxOfficeChica