Fake

The International Box Office Discussion Thread

China Box Office Drops To $4.4B In 2022 Amid Covid Swings, Lack Of Product

China’s box office in 2022 dropped 36% versus 2021, reaching a little over RMB 30B ($4.35B). According to Chinese state media, citing figures from the China Film Administration, 85% of the 2022 revenue was generated by local movies, led by The Battle at Lake Changjin II with RMB 4.07B ($636M at historical rates, per comScore). This past weekend, James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water became the highest-grossing studio import of the year, overtaking Jurassic World Dominion with an estimated $152.8M through Sunday.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/china-box-office-2022-covid-avatar-hollywood-1235209768/

• Like 1

France Box Office Sees Strong Recovery In 2022 With Admissions Up 59% Over Previous Year

French cinemas amassed nearly 152 million admissions in 2022, new data from the National Cinema Center (CNC) shows. That’s an estimated 26.9% off the pre-pandemic three-year average (2017-2019), and an estimated 59.2% hike on 2021 which endured 138 days of movie theater closures. France reports its box office in terms of admissions, however, the total for the year is expected to exceed $1 billion.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/france-box-office-2022-admissions-increase-avatar-top-gun-maverick-1235209802/

• Like 1

2022 Box Office

1. North America - $7.5B

2. China - $4.33B

3. Japan - $1.52B

4. UK - $1.21B

5. France - $1.06B

6. Korea - $900M

7. Germany - $800M
8. Australia - $640M
9. Mexico - $630M
10. Spain - $400M

Misc.
Brazil - $350M
Italy - $330M
Russia - $310M
Netherlands - $270M
Saudi Arabia - $250M
UAE - $160M

• Like 4

Per Gower Street, all three key regions performed better compared to the pre-pandemic average than the domestic or Chinese markets. 

Europe, Middle East and Africa delivered $7.1B (-31% against the pre-pandemic average/+52% over 2021). Asia Pacific (excluding China) delivered $5.2B (-26%/+49%). Latin America brought in just shy of $1.8B (-30% vs pre-pandemic average), a whopping 87% increase on 2021.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

2022 Box Office

1. North America - $7.5B

2. China - $4.33B

3. Japan - $1.52B

4. UK - $1.21B

5. France - $1.06B

6. Korea - $900M

7. Germany - $800M
8. Australia - $640M
9. Mexico - $630M
10. Spain - $400M

Misc.
Brazil - $350M
Italy - $330M
Russia - $310M
Netherlands - $270M
Saudi Arabia - $250M
UAE - $160M

I thought India should be in TOP.10. @charlie Jatinder

• Like 1

Hello everyone, I have a question and I didn't know where to ask it so I'm asking it here sorry. I noticed that on box office mojo for example the revenues of certain countries sometimes correspond to several countries. For example for France, it includes France, Morocco, Monaco, Tunisia and Algeria. There is also Angola with Portugal, or Belgium and Luxembourg together.

Does this mean that the admits for France, Portugal or Belgium correspond to the admits for all the countries mentioned with which they are grouped or just the only country in question.

For example, the 6.944 million admissions of AEG in France correspond to admissions from France alone or admissions from France + Tunisia + Monaco + Morocco + Algeria or just France + Morocco for example or anything else ? It would seem logical to me since their gross are grouped together but I don't know ...

Thank you for your answer

@charlie Jatinder @Issac Newton @Shanks @JustLurking @Bruce

Edited by LPLC

3 hours ago, LPLC said:

Hello everyone, I have a question and I didn't know where to ask it so I'm asking it here sorry. I noticed that on box office mojo for example the revenues of certain countries sometimes correspond to several countries. For example for France, it includes France, Morocco, Monaco, Tunisia and Algeria. There is also Angola with Portugal, or Belgium and Luxembourg together.

Does this mean that the admits for France, Portugal or Belgium correspond to the admits for all the countries mentioned with which they are grouped or just the only country in question.

For example, the 6.944 million admissions of AEG in France correspond to admissions from France alone or admissions from France + Tunisia + Monaco + Morocco + Algeria or just France + Morocco for example or anything else ? It would seem logical to me since their gross are grouped together but I don't know ...

They are united market ,which means is not only one market box office

24 minutes ago, Bruce said:

They are united market ,which means is not only one market box office

Yes for the box office I know that the revenues are united between the different countries but what I wonder if it is the same for the admissions. For example, is the 7,388M of NWH admits just from France alone or from France + Morocco + Algeria + Tunisia + Monaco or just France + Morocco or something else ? I think for the admissions it's separate and it's just the main country in question but I'm not sure

5 hours ago, LPLC said:

Unless Specifically stated, France doesn't include the Gross or Admission from Morocco/Algeria or any other. Studio may on thier own accord Add the Gross of two countries but the Authorities in the countries themselves have data for it.

As you were talking about A: EG, I can give you example like for Morocco:

1. Messaoud, Saida et Saadane - 169,947 7 789 452,92
  2. Joker - 161,477   8 639 058,10
  3. The Lion King - 107,468
  4. Aladdin - 70,781
  5. Avengers: Endgame - 66,975

These are top few films in 2019 for Morocco  @LPLC

image.png

Edited by Shanks
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Shanks said:

Unless Specifically stated, France doesn't include the Gross or Admission from Morocco/Algeria or any other. Studio may on thier own accord Add the Gross of two countries but the Authorities in the countries themselves have data for it.

But I speak about BOM because look what they say

Why is my country not listed?

In some cases, box office data is organized by region rather than for each country. If you are not seeing a specific country listed, this means the data was reported for the combined box office region. 

Region Countries Included
Domestic US & Canada
Belgium Belgium and Luxembourg
New Zealand New Zealand and Fiji
Portugal Portugal and Angola
United Kingdom United Kingdom, Ireland, and Malta
France France, Algeria, Monaco, Morocco, and Tunisia
Central America Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama and Paraguay
Central America+ Aruba, Belize, Bolivia, Bonaire, Costa Rica, Curaçao, and Dominican Republic
E/W Africa Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania, Zambia and Uganda
Lesser Antilles Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, St. Lucia, and St. Vincent
S/E/W Africa Southern, Eastern, and Western African
Baltic States Baltic States
Middle East Middle East
Middle East/UA Middle East including United Arab Emirates
Middle East Other

Miscellaneous Middle Eastern

So for example the gross for France gross for Endgame is $62,191,621 with I guess France, Morocco, Tuni

sia, Algeria and Monaco but admissions are 6,944M. In this 6,944M admissions in France, this is only France or France + 

the other countries mentioned above ? In theses 6,944M admissions there is the 66,975 admits from Morocco or this is not included ?

19 hours ago, LPLC said:
France France, Algeria, Monaco, Morocco, and Tunisia

I don't really have direct access to CBO France, but I never bothered because their numbers are easily accessible from InsideKino or AlloCine. Then, there is - another Authority that keeps records - ex-Rentrak-Ciné Chiffres -  which is now part of ComScore. Also, third one - which keeps record of mainly France Territory i.e  CNC (Centre national du cinéma)~  

Avenger Endgame -

France - 6,942,331  via ComScore 

France - 6,942,474  via CBO

France - 6,830,781  via CNC

Now, I don't know if CBO or ComScore include Morocco/Tunisia/Algeria/Monaco numbers but CNC doesn't. It may include Monaco though.

Spoiler

CNC -  data includes - 33 établissements sont actifs dans les départements et régions d’Outre-mer dont quatre multiplexes (cinémas de 8 écrans et plus). Ils regroupent 83 écrans. La Réunion est la collectivité la mieux dotée avec 18 cinémas dont deux multiplexes et 40 écrans, devant la Guadeloupe (sept établissements dont un multiplexe et 20 écrans), la Guyane (quatre cinémas et 10 écrans), la Martinique (trois cinémas dont un multiplexe et un circuit itinérant et 12 écrans) et Mayotte (un cinéma mono-écran).

What I can give you is Individual numbers for Endgame in those countries:

Morocco - 67k

Tunisia - 38k

Algeria - 31k

Also, these tiny numbers don't matter much because they are same for almost all the movies. If AEG's CBO number includes those Countries, other movies Admission will include it too, so why does it matter anyway?

Edited by Shanks
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shanks said:

I don't really have direct access to CBO France, but I never bothered because their numbers are easily accessible from InsideKino or AlloCine. Then, there is - another Authority that keeps records - ex-Rentrak-Ciné Chiffres -  which is now part of ComScore. Also, third is one - which is keep record of mainly France Territory i.e  CNC (Centre national du cinéma)~  

Avenger Endgame -

France - 6,942,331  via ComScore 

France - 6,942,474  via CBO

France - 6,830,781  via CNC

Now, I don't know if CBO or ComScore include Morocco/Tunisia/Algeria/Monaco numbers but CNC doesn't. It may include Monaco though.

Reveal hidden contents

What I can give you is Individual numbers for Endgame in those countries:

Morocco - 67k

Tunisia - 38k

Algeria - 31k

Also, these tiny numbers don't matter much because they are same for almost all the movies. If AEG's CBO number includes those Countries, other movies Admission will include it too, so why does it matter anyway?

Thank you very much for these figures, I had found those of Morocco but never those of Algeria and Tunisia. In fact it's not a big deal but I just always wondered if they were included or not.

On 1/6/2023 at 2:51 AM, Issac Newton said:

2022 Box Office

1. North America - $7.5B

2. China - $4.33B

3. Japan - $1.52B

4. UK - $1.21B

5. France - $1.06B

6. Korea - $900M

7. Germany - $800M
8. Australia - $640M
9. Mexico - $630M
10. Spain - $400M

Misc.
Brazil - $350M
Italy - $330M
Russia - $310M
Netherlands - $270M
Saudi Arabia - $250M
UAE - $160M

In 2019 we were at 700M, now we are on par with Russia which was without hollywood for most of the year 😭

Hello everyone, I have created a google sheets with all the box office records (4 categories) according to the different countries of the world. I have already filled in with DOM and France but normally I made sure that everyone can modify the document to add as much data as possible depending on your country or even if you have data from other countries. Once the google sheets will be completed to the maximum I will make a clean table and put it on a thread here. If you add data do not hesitate to put the film in question in brackets as I did. If @Bruce @Shanks @Issac Newton @charlie Jatinder or others who have access to lots of data it would be cool to participate as it will be completed very quickly. Thank you for your participation.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HwA6m1-AhjugZHGOy__SBdI9m605A9HDqGdvoxxM8Fo/edit#gid=0

• Heart 1
  • Thanks 1