wileECoyote

Thursday 1/23/2014 Numbers

12 Years a Slave. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Oh my god. I mean fuck, man. I dont even know what to say. I came stumbling out of the movie theater.

Really? I thought it was an impressive movie with really strong and powerful scenes, but walked out of the cinema just fine.

Edited by CJohn

Just got back from Ride Along.

Theater was pretty crowded for a noon show, I guess a lot of schools had the day off because of the cold.

Ride Along was pretty damn funny. Sure it wasn't a perfect movie, and was full of cliches, but it made everyone laugh. What else matters for a comedy?

who in their right minds thought making a sequel to this movie before it came out was a good idea

Ask the guys in charge of Open Road Films.

There never gonna be a first rate studio, if they keep announcing sequels not even a week after the movie opens.

Sequel announced too soon?

Nut Job will go north of 50m and do as much internationally. On a 42m budget that's a win. As regards to budgets of sequels, which are always higher, Cloudy 2's budget was 78m as opposed to Cloudy 1's 100m+. I don't know how Sony managed that but if Nut Job 2's budgets is 45-55m, it should be fine.

Edited by a2knet

It's dirt cheap to make... why wouldn't they do a sequel?

The first one might not make 2x its budget back worldwide.

If they make a sequel, it might end up straight to DVD / Blu-Ray.

Edited by Fancyarcher

Nut Job will go north of 50m and do as much internationally. On a 42m budget that's a win. As regards to budgets of sequels which are always higher, Cloudy 2's budget was 78m as opposed to Cloudy 1's 100m+. I don't know how they managed that but if Nut Job 2's budgets is 45-55m, it should be fine.

Nothing to suggest that really. If Free Birds and Escape From Planet Earth, are anything to go by, it'll probably make 30 million overseas.

Nut Job will go north of 50m and do as much internationally. On a 42m budget that's a win. As regards to budgets of sequels, which are always higher, Cloudy 2's budget was 78m as opposed to Cloudy 1's 100m+. I don't know how Sony managed that but if Nut Job 2's budgets is 45-55m, it should be fine.

I don't know about that... Escape From Planet Earth did 57M DOM but just 13M OS...

Nothing to suggest that really. If Free Birds and Escape From Planet Earth, are anything to go by, it'll probably make 30 million overseas.

Free Birds was about Thanksgivings so won't compare with that.

Yeah Escape is a fair comparison. If Nut Job makes 50-55m domestic, it will need about 30m to go 2x it's budget.

Edited by a2knet

They may have pre-sold foreign territories. If they've greenlit a sequel, rest assured they've made their money back on this one.

They already sold them a long time ago. That money is probably enough to cover the marketing costs.

Edited by CJohn

Free Birds was about Thanksgivings so won't compare with that.

Yeah Escape is a fair comparison. If Nut Job makes 50-55m domestic, it will need about 30m to go 2x it's budget.

Which is alright, but I really don't think the studio should have greenlit a sequel before seeing the second weekend drop.

Free Birds was such a big movie over here. They were so smart to not release it in 3D. It became the 2nd option (even if from a big distance from the 1st) for families on Christmas. It made Cloudy 2 bomb hard (dropped over 50% from the first movie), because that one had 3D. 

Because Cloudy 2 is shit compared to the first?