Shawn Robbins

Official Friday Est: I FRANK (2.82), RIDE (6.3), LONE (3.6), RYAN (2.6), HUSTLE (1.96), FROZEN (2.1)

Can we just fast forward to February 6? The whole month looks awesome. And with tons of similarities with January. Weekend before the holiday weekend sees the release of some big movies (Lone Survivor in Jan, Monuments Men and Lego in Feb), the holiday weekend sees a huge amount of new releases and will see crazy drops in theater counts for movies not released on the weekend before, and the weekend after the holiday weekend sees the release of some epic bombs (I Frankenstein (70M) in Jan, Pompeii (100M) and 3 Days to Kill (50M) in Feb). And lets not forget DAT Neeson effect at the end of the month (maybe January will end with DAT Zac Effron effect? :ph34r: ).

Hey, I'm looking forward to Jan. 31, and not just for the Frozen sing-along expansion. ;)Posted Image

It's time for The Great Digital Film Festival again, older (mostly) movies being shown on the big screen at the big multiplexes for $6 for 1 week starting Jan. 31.

I'll probably be camped out at the theater the entire weekend.

So many to choose from this year...

Akira

The Avengers

Batman (25th Anniversary!)

Battlestar Galactica

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Brazil

The Dark Knight

The Fisher King

Flash Gordon

Ghost In The Shell

Iron Man

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Logan's Run

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Planet of the Apes (1968)

Snatch

Spider-Man

Superman: The Movie

Thunderball

Tron

I have a short list of "must see" from that list, but I will be seeing way more than my short list. :D

Edited by Incarnadine

I like how it's two months and a little bit so he gets to come back the day Cap 2 opens. That was nice of Shawn. :lol:

He was not here when Thor 2 was making that crazy run for 400M, so we decided this time to ban him, but to have him return just in time for CA2.

• Like 1

Nut Job got a 291% jump to 2.550m...Yogi Bear got a 294% jump in 2011 after MLK compared to Tangled's 246%

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2011-01-21&track=yogibear.htm

Yogi Bear had a multiplier of 5.15, which gives Nut Job 13.12m. 

So against my initial instinct things are still very wrong with the world.

Edited by a2knet

This January has been pretty amazing, all things considered, with two of the three biggest openings in the history of the month opening, a couple solid mid level hits, strong holdovers, and one flop for the lulz. And February looks super, super strong, and March and April aren't shabby at all. Why couldn't we move a couple films to weak ass July?

• Like 5

This January has been pretty amazing, all things considered, with two of the three biggest openings in the history of the month opening, a couple solid mid level hits, strong holdovers, and one flop for the lulz. And February looks super, super strong, and March and April aren't shabby at all. Why couldn't we move a couple films to weak ass July?

July looks embarrassing.

Nut Job got a 291% jump to 2.550m...Yogi Bear got a 294% jump in 2011 after MLK compared to Tangled's 246%

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2011-01-21&track=yogibear.htm

Yogi Bear had a multiplier of 5.15, which gives Nut Job 13.12m. 

So against my initial instinct things are still very wrong with the world.

I weep for our future generation. 

• Founder / Operator

Agreed. Jack Ryan and I, Frank are the blemishes, but honestly, without such strong competition they probably would have fared better. Bad timing on both their parts--especially Jack Ryan.

• Like 1

Two years in a row outside of DM2, as well. And shit, now that Justice League has moved, Terminator and Ant-Man ain't exactly TDKR or DH2 for 2015, either. 

We also have Minions, and Pan may be a strong solid hit. It looks more exciting than this year and last year.

• Like 1

Maybe that means Apes can play well through July

We don't know how Hercules looks, but I will assume Hercules will pull a 40M OW or so. And Jupiter will have a 25-30M OW. Apes has a good chance at strong legs.

Gravity's gonna do better than Hobbit this weekend!The fact that Nut Job will drop something like high 40s this weekend while Frozen will pull a sub-20 hold makes me very very happy. Get that money, Disney. Nice to see Wolf is having solid late legs. Should get its way past 100m very soon.

• Like 2

That Awkward Moment - R rated rom/com (Zac Efron) 2800 screens

Labor Day - PG-13 rated Drama (Josh Brolin, Kate Winslet) 2500 screens

I'm actually shocked at the theater count for both, but especially TAM. I would have guessed 2000-2200 each for them, at best.

Edited by Incarnadine

Was looking at the Showings going to see Lone Survivor and I saw at one of the other local theaters that they are playing "Frozen: Sing Along"

I never heard of this or of a movie theater doing this. Anyone else get this playing in one of their local theaters?

http://www.fandango.com/frozensingalong_170590/movietimes?location=14871

Was looking at the Showings going to see Lone Survivor and I saw at one of the other local theaters that they are playing "Frozen: Sing Along"

I never heard of this or of a movie theater doing this. Anyone else get this playing in one of their local theaters?

http://www.fandango.com/frozensingalong_170590/movietimes?location=14871

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/01/23/frozen-sing-along/

i guess its disneys way of trying to push frozen towards 400M ;)

in a way i really like the idea since it directly acknowledges the movies fans... whether this will be more effective than just a normal release in more theaters will be interesting. But i think they will get some pretty nice publicity from this move regardless of whether it helps the final bo numbers.

Edited by chuck0