grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

9 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

The Japanese are (totally predictably for me) quite fond of Scar-Jo playing Major and think that she is quite ideal for the role. Like I said before, this "whitewashing" BS is a stupid-white-liberal neurosis and nothing else. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAxt0UkezXI

Japanese or 10 people in japan ? Because the movie didn't do very well in japan, has for the WS BS, it was never about Japanese people, they have 400 movies a year in Japan, for them, by them, showing them on screen, lack or issue about representation off Japanese on screen will make 0 sense to them, a bit the equivalent for British/American being played by africans/japanese in africans/japanese production, for sure American/British do not care when it happen they will never watch those movie/tv show anyway.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

Two things:

1. My girlfriend, that I took with me the third time seeing it, couldn't believe that such a beautiful, interesting and original (in theme and setting) film could be insulted and neglected like this.

2. I do not believe it is going to flop. If the 110m budget at BOM is correct (it should be), this movie is probably breaking even with 200-220m WW.

PS: Power Rangers though, which costs the same while being 80 times uglier!! is surely flopping - and deservedly so.

• Like 1

I finally did manage to catch this at a matinee last week. I've never watched the anime so I got to judge the film as a film, not an adaptation.

Grade: B+

From a story perspective I didn't walk away with any plot holes I could think of really. They explain who Major is and show glimpses of who she was.

The team she worked with were all honorable. I kept expecting a betrayal in there cause....cliche.

Kuze was still just out for revenge but he served his role well in showing just how Hanka wasn't to be fully trusted.

The large cliche was that the bad guy was a corporate loyalist with no conscience. Who was taken down very anti-climatically by Major's boss(can't recall the name).

Some minor explanation as to the cyborg host frame for Major vs her human form would've been nice but it didn't weigh on me. Kuze's was also different. 

I've read the "white washing" criticism by the online keyboard SJW's and based on the counter arguments see them once again on the wrong side. 

Major, according to the counter points, is never meant or intended to be physically seen as Asian. The uncertainty of her ethnicity is important in anyone being able to project themselves into the Major's position. The creator of GitS supported the casting and there was solid Asian casting in other roles.

Now granted Scarlett isn't ethnicity ambiguous but that doesn't matter cause the Diversity Police got a win by having the movie fail based on their criteria. All else be damned.

Good movie. I don't know if sequels were in the cards or what sequels would look like but we will never know, not with this cast anyway and not for some time. 

• Like 3