grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/scarlett-johansson-signs-on-to-star-in-dreamworks-ghost-in-the-shell-exclusive-1201320788/

Following the success of “Lucy,” Scarlett Johansson looks ready to take on another action pic, this one coming from the world of Japanese anime.

Johansson is set to star in DreamWorks’ adaptation of the popular anime pic “Ghost in the Shell.” Deadline Hollywood had reported that the actress had the offer to star but at the time she was still undecided about taking the role. Sources now say she has agreed to star in the pic.

The story follows the exploits of a member of a covert ops unit of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission that specializes in fighting technology-related crime.

• Like 1

I'm not an anime guy so I have no idea what this is. It's cool to see ScarJo becoming a major action star, though

Hope this fares better than other anime movies. Rupert Sanders isn't exactly an encouraging start...

EDIT: Oh god, Avi Arad. Oh god, make it stop

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 1

As cool as ScarJo is, this casting choice is terrible.

Well she has the action chops and can do blank like a cyborg very easily (I think that's her default setting) but ugh at the whitewashing.  Financially I understand it because she's one of the few name actresses with box office cred with the skill set for this but still...

Edited by TalismanRing

Well she has the action chops and can do blank like a cyborg very easily (I think that's her default setting) but ugh at the whitewashing.  Financially I understand it because she's one of the few name actresses with box office cred with the skill set for this but still...

I did say ScarJo's awesome. But she is not right for this at all.

You cannot remove the Japanese element from GitS and make it work. It undermines the story. There's too much that tied to Japanese culture and history to allow for the plot to shift locales and still be GitS.

It's bad for the story and it's whitewashing racism. This is terrible casting.

The financial argument is bullshit.

• Like 3

Ugh. Yuck. Arrrgh! :(  This is what I hate about Hollywood. Hollywood has no problem financing films with Asians playing villains (whether they are based on real life events or not), but now you have the chance to create a kickass heroic character who also happens to be Asian...and of course you are going to cast the whitest (and blandest) white woman in Hollywood's action film radar. Ugh.

Yes, I know the drill: she is a big name...she will put butts in seats...blah blah blah.... I still hate the conventional wisdom that assumes that American audiences cannot EVER relate to a heroic character if said character is not Caucasian. BS.

• Like 1