grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

25 minutes ago, Neno said:

I miss time when movies were just a movies, entertainment. And not this political agendas of feminism, diversity or whatever we call this all together crap now. Were we can't watch a movie without someone is pushing a narrative of this crap and can't enjoy the movie for the movie experience, but watch it for different reasons. And if your movie is not diverse of feministic you get backslash. We truly leave is worst society world has ever seen. It's cancerous.  Men, I miss 80's and 90's.... 

EDIT:

Let's be clear here. 

I have problem with whitewashing and blackwashing or whatever washing, feminism or anything else if it's not staying close to source material regardless of property (existing one before, comics, novels, books, manga) for sole reason of diversity and other political agendas.  And I will always fight those guys and Hollywood on that matter.  

Here, freaking here!!

• Community Manager
27 minutes ago, Neno said:

DIT:

Let's be clear here. 

I have problem with whitewashing and blackwashing or whatever washing, feminism or anything else if it's not staying close to source material regardless of property (existing one before, comics, novels, books, manga) for sole reason of diversity and other political agendas.  And I will always fight those guys and Hollywood on that matter.  

So I have a question. Why do you dislike diversity? Why does it matter if a character who was white in the original source material is played by a black actor?

Why does skin color matter so much to you?

1 hour ago, Eevin said:

Seen Get Out yet?

EDIT: Lol never mind, forgot it hasn't been released in Sweden. My bad.

Nope, yeah it's out in like 10 days, and I am planning to watch it at least 3 times on cinema ? but it has like no chance to debut at #1 I believe F8 is out same day too ?

29 minutes ago, Neno said:

I miss time when movies were just a movies, entertainment. And not this political agendas of feminism, diversity or whatever we call this all together crap now. Were we can't watch a movie without someone is pushing a narrative of this crap and can't enjoy the movie for the movie experience, but watch it for different reasons. And if your movie is not diverse of feministic you get backslash. We truly leave is worst society world has ever seen. It's cancerous.  Men, I miss 80's and 90's.... 

EDIT:

Let's be clear here. 

cWQyu97.gif

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Neno said:

EDIT:

Let's be clear here. 

Well said... even Logan got a minor blacklash from feminists because there weren't enough females in the movie. And Ghost in the shell has one of the most ethnically diverse casts, and it's getting backlash for lack of diversity. Oh, the irony.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, Marcus Cato said:

Well said... even Logan got a minor blacklash from feminists because there weren't enough females in the movie. And Ghost in the shell has one of the most ethnically diverse casts, and it's getting backlash for lack of diversity. Oh, the irony.

How was GITS ethnically diverse? :lol:

• Like 1

GITS is not getting backlash for the lack of diversity. It's getting backlash because of Scarlett's casting. And I'm actually baffled at how many folks think the movie handled her casting well. The movie actually made it worse. And I'm sick and tired of folks saying well people in Japan are okay with it  (of course they're okay with it....they're not minorities in Japan) and that a lot of people in Japan are going to watch it. Great! But I thought the whole point of casting Scarlett in the first place was to make GITS bigger in western parts of the world....not appease its audience already. 

I'm not faulting Paramount for casting Scarjo but damn they didn't handle any of it well. From the way they talked about in the press, to the film itself.....it was a disaster. 

• Like 8

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Nova said:

GITS is not getting backlash for the lack of diversity. It's getting backlash because of Scarlett's casting. And I'm actually baffled at how many folks think the movie handled her casting well. The movie actually made it worse. And I'm sick and tired of folks saying well people in Japan are okay with it  (of course they're okay with it....they're not minorities in Japan) and that a lot of people in Japan are going to watch it. Great! But I thought the whole point of casting Scarlett in the first place was to make GITS bigger in western parts of the world....not appease its audience already. 

I'm not faulting Paramount for casting Scarjo but damn they didn't handle any of it well. From the way they talked about in the press, to the film itself.....it was a disaster. 

They really should have set the movie in New York City. An American adaptaion of Ghost in the Shell didnt need to be set in Tokyo.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

They really should have set the movie in New York City. An American adaptaion of Ghost in the Shell didnt need to be set in Tokyo.

Exactly. I keep hearing the excuse it's an American adaptation....okay then set the story up in a city in the USA like what The Departed did. 

Then you've got all the excuses they came up with. They got Japanese people to talk about how they're okay with the casting....like you had to go that far just to try and justify your decision...to make it seem like it was normal instead of attempting to understand why folks were upset. 

I just feel like they personally mishandled everything after the Scarjo casting. It was one thing to cast her....but then everything else....completely botched. 

• Like 8

• Community Manager
14 minutes ago, Nova said:

Exactly. I keep hearing the excuse it's an American adaptation....okay then set the story up in a city in the USA like what The Departed did. 

Then you've got all the excuses they came up with. They got Japanese people to talk about how they're okay with the casting....like you had to go that far just to try and justify your decision...to make it seem like it was normal instead of attempting to understand why folks were upset. 

I just feel like they personally mishandled everything after the Scarjo casting. It was one thing to cast her....but then everything else....completely botched. 

Yeah. Setting it in Japan made it feel whitewashed even though a robotic body's ethnicity doesnt matter.

There are people who would still complain about whitewashing but what are you going to do?

You cant please people who focus too much on race.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marcus Cato said:

I even heard backlash from conservator feeling that Logan was shoving people throat pro undocumented worker, an anti-Trump message.

I'm not sure movie are particularly politicized now vs the past, it is probably the other way around.

Wanting to sell to mass audience worldwide and not loose anyone by being controversial, make them rarely taken on politics side that much versus the 70's and so on. The popular movies are often set in magical franchise world, with magical made up problem that has no relevance to our life solved with magical superpowers, maybe that why people want to see allegory and politicize them so much, because they tend to really not be. And even then, when they create all that distance is the allegory are too direct like in Elysium, they do not work as well and people complain a lot about the movie being too political.

I mean people started to talk about anti-Trump propaganda about movies like rogue one and Fantastic Beasts, movie that were wrote (and even shoot for one of them) before Trump became something serious.

I have not seen Gits, but I didn't heard much political/ethical talk surrounding it (outside some aesthetic one about casting), it does not sound like a particularly political movie or failed at starting any conversation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nova said:

Death Note is getting a lot of backlash due to whitewashing and that has been relocated to America.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Netflix completely westernized Death Note and there's still a backlash. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Neno said:

EDIT:

Let's be clear here. 

"I can't enjoy movies when other people take issue with them. It UPSETS me. Those people need to stfu.

The only exception is when I take issue with something, then it's okay."

• Like 10

There's also backlash when you cast the wrong Asian.

Paramount would've gotten in trouble if they cast a Chinese or Korean person to play the Major.

Basically their only option was to cast that one Japanese girl from Pacific Rim. :rofl:

• Like 2

We arguably need a new definition of what is backlash now that it is so easy to do one and to promote it online, we can agree that any movie now will get some negative comments in a youtube section and some form of backlash about anything possible to have one.

We need to define what would be a minimum of people reacting (and it need to be over 1) to start calling it backlash, I'm probably not the only one that had to google what was Death Note and that theyre was some controversy, I don't think it came close to the mainstream media.

If we compare Ghost in a shell backlash or Death note backlash, with a real one like Bill O'Reilly backlash, we see than those whitewashing stuff are really niche:

https://trends.google.ca/trends/explore?date=today 3-m&q=maxine waters bill oreilly,Death note whitewashing,Ghost in a shell Whitewashing,Ghost in a shell

Are we making something up bigger than it is from some Internet bubble ? Caring about what less than 1% of the population think about something ?

Nothing in the most 9 item requested related to Internet queries had to do with whitewashing or any controversy, if I'm looking correctly and if it is accurate internet traffic about the movie controversy never got bigger than 1.3% of the movie Internet traffic.

All those long stuff to say, that yes Gits would still got some form of backlash if they would transferred and updated the story, but it would have been a different one and maybe a smaller one.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Netflix completely westernized Death Note and there's still a backlash. 

Well, i guess there won't be anymore adaptations of foreign properties by american studios, because there will always be some sort of backlash, which is a shame.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Paramount would've gotten in trouble if they cast a Chinese or Korean person to play the Major.

Basically their only option was to cast that one Japanese girl from Pacific Rim. :rofl:

Or Rila (who ended up playing one of the geishas) or Karen (Katana from SS)

42 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

this isn't true at all. Stop being stupid.