29 members have voted

1. 1. Heat

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

lolwut?? De Niro is awesome in this, but best ever? Not a chance.

Did I say it was his best ever?  No.  I said if there was ever a film that he should have won for, it should have been this.  There are other films he should have won for as well, but he was excellent here.

• Like 1

This is one of the great crime dramas ever.  Mann sets a perfect LA mood. The performances of Pacino and DeNiro are fantastic. I would say it's slightly underappreciated even though it seems to have a big following. For crime dramas, this may be the best after Godfather I,II and The Dark Knight.

A

• Like 2

Rewatch this movie recently on HBO. Incredible, terrific, wonderful, you name all the praising adjectives.

Echoing a few others here, that casual conversation scene between Al Pacino and DeNiro is simply great.

I love Al Pacino in this so much  :wub:

A

• Like 2

Watched it for the first time in probably 4 or 5 years. Goddamn masterwork, especially directing, casting, cinematography and editing - what really jumped out at me this time was the sheer number of characters the film introduces and then makes us care about; even extras who only have a line or two make a lasting impression, and Dennis Haysbert's little side plot is heartbreaking all on its own taking up probably less than 10 minutes of screentime and 2 or 3 minutes of dialogue. "A Los Angeles Crime Saga" is what it is, from the very first shot to the very last (also one of the greatest closing shots in history). And to this day I haven't seen any city shot as richly and evocatively in any film as LA in Heat. The atmosphere of it is just overwhelming.

• Like 3

Probably the best police/crime film i've ever seen. Michael Mann directs it like a master. He paces it perfectly, he knows how to set the tone and the atmosphere, he gets incredible performances by at least 15 characters developing them all as much as possible and has a terrific script to hold them all together.

A masterpiece.

• Like 1

I've actually seen Heat in theaters back in 1995, but haven't seen the movie since. Watched it just now, still holds up. Everyone is just fantastic in general, plus the movie still showcases one of the best firefights ever in a movie (and loved the soundtrack to that scene as well). Coffee scene between DeNiro and Pacino an absolute classic. 

A+

• Like 4