Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

9 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

Yeah, Carol's overconfidence is nothing we haven't seen from many male superheroes before.  She isn't that way in Captain Marvel because she's basically been served humble pie all her life (see the montage of her constantly failing yet getting up again).  But it makes sense that after 20 years of kicking ass that she'd be a bit cocky.  Having minor character flaws like that can make characters more interesting and gives them room to be challenged and grow.

And that is the reason why I am still optimistic. As long as they do not break character in longer stretches or even the whole film, or they let her do something incredible female character cliché things, ... do not add something that wont allow she gets out of the movie in a likeable way.

Beside, its even possible this or that sentence is still missing, or... how fast even a word can change a meaning.

No one calls out War Machine for asking in such a way, and that is cool too, as all are probably still on edge for what has happened. Brittle nerves... normal.

I hope Captain Marvel kills Thanos quickly. The rest of the movie should be focused on recruiting the X-Men, Fantastic 4, Silver Surfer and Moon Knight. 

3 hours should be enough although they might not get to Moon Knight. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Not Cool 1

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

And that is the reason why I am still optimistic. As long as they do not break character in longer stretches or even the whole film, or they let her do something incredible female character cliché things, ... do not add something that wont allow she gets out of the movie in a likeable way.

Beside, its even possible this or that sentence is still missing, or... how fast even a word can change a meaning.

No one calls out War Machine for asking in such a way, and that is cool too, as all are probably still on edge for what has happened. Brittle nerves... normal.

They will never call out that. 

Posted (edited)

eh CM killing Thanos  easily could be a TLJ like fan rage I think but it depends and the Russo's really know what audiences want. That is why they put that 1 in 14 million Doctor Strange scene in IW to stop the fanbase from nitpicking the film apart. 

If like IM and Cap die to let a series of events that allows CM to kill Thanos , then that should not be much an issue at all.

I think the point is the Russos know fans want to see new characters shine but the old guard get their moments and glory. 

So I would bet if CM ends up killing Thanos, the Russos will do so in a way that will make us pretty satisfied. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

What are the chances of Thanos living at end of Endgame. I don't know how people will react but I won't mind it.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

Yeah, Carol's overconfidence is nothing we haven't seen from many male superheroes before.  She isn't that way in Captain Marvel because she's basically been served humble pie all her life (see the montage of her constantly failing yet getting up again).  But it makes sense that after 20 years of kicking ass that she'd be a bit cocky.  Having minor character flaws like that can make characters more interesting and gives them room to be challenged and grow.

I think that the general problem with MCU female characters is that they are stuck playing the straight guy to more colorful variety of male characters who are allowed to be silly, endearing, lose their temper, do stupid things, be butt of jokes,etc. MCU is careful not to do that with female characters so they are always more serious, more logical, don't do silly things, are never butts of jokes, are not self-deprecating but more often than not roll their eyes at their male colleagues. I guess the climate is such that the studio won't risk giving them some of flaws that certain corners of the internet don't deem "strong". For example, smug/arrogant/rude/cold/aggressive are considered "strong" flaws, while silly, emotional, goofy are considered "weak" flaws. No wonder comic relief characters are considered lesser even if they steal the show from not-comic relief characters. But MCU is opening up to more variety so we have Shuri with her quips, Mantis with her goofyness, Valkyre is given a drinking problem which sets her apart from no-nonsense other female characters, so that's a start. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4

Just now, Valonqar said:

I think that the general problem with MCU female characters is that they are stuck playing the straight guy to more colorful variety of male characters who are allowed to be silly, endearing, lose their temper, do stupid things, be butt of jokes,etc. MCU is careful not to do that with female characters so they are always more serious, more logical, don't do silly things, are never butts of jokes, are not self-deprecating but more often than not roll their eyes at their male colleagues. I guess the climate is such that the studio won't risk giving them some of flaws that certain corners of the internet don't deem "strong". For example, smug/arrogant/rude/cold/aggressive are considered "strong" flaws, while silly, emotional, goofy are considered "weak" flaws. No wonder comic relief characters are considered lesser even if they steal the show from not-comic relief characters. But MCU is opening up to more variety so we have Suri with her quips, Mantis with her goofyness, Valkyre is given a drinking problem which sets her apart from no-nonsense other female characters, so that's a start. 

Lest not forget in the early MCU we had a Michael Bay like focus on Scarlet Jo body shape...

(i did not mind) lol 

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Lest not forget in the early MCU we had a Michael Bay like focus on Scarlet Jo body shape...

(i did not mind) lol 

nothing wrong with body shape but it remained the same that BW was the most sour and somber of Avengers characters. They relaxed her a bit but not to the level of male counterparts.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

What are the chances of Thanos living at end of Endgame. I don't know how people will react but I won't mind it.

50/50 ;) 

10 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Thanos is the best character in the entire MCU and I hope he wins again so I'd be cool with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

At work a few days ago I had to give a presentation about goal setting and I used Thanos Line of "the hardest choices require the strongest wills"

and people were that is very wise, who said it...

I was like I just heard it, unsure how people would react if I said I am trying to inspire them with a mythical genocidal religious fanatic 😅

It just shows epic Thanos is a character, he can be quoted in real life. lol

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Haha 6

23 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

To me its that they do not show her less mature than in CM 1, as I expect a character's maturity presentation in 1995 + 24 years of partly probably difficult experience to be more mature than like it was shown in 1995.

So fingers crossed the clips are not typical for the complete movie, in general I am still optimistic, incl. for that.

(edit: in the sense not to break character how she got introduced not to change her, with the focus on more mature as a logical development to be expected. She is already more mature than a lot of female characters in other movies in CM 1. She can be as ... whatever all the other male ones are as long as it is not a shift to how she got introduced. I hate the same about books, that change characters in book whatever in a non logical way, like a stoic cop, or balanced women or man, that goes whiny teenager 3 books later)

I can't get in to details b/c of the spoilers (or can I, it's been a month) but Carol was pretty cocky and a bit of a hot head in CM.  But then that's also the way she is in the comics (also at times more belligerent and an alcoholic) - even the recent animated TV shows.  

You think the way she spoke to Fury was mature?  The jukebox thing was mature?   She's cocky, dismissive and condescending at times even before she comes into control of her full powers which she enjoys showing off.   She's not as recklessly cocky and destructive as Thor or as unpleasantly arrogant as Strange at the start of their arcs but she also doesn't get as humbled or brought down as low.  Her arc is more about finding her power and coming in to her own.   A quarter of a century as an enormously powerful being might have made her her more swaggeringly self assured of herself and yes more cocky.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

I hope Captain Marvel kills Thanos quickly. The rest of the movie should be focused on recruiting the X-Men, Fantastic 4, Silver Surfer and Moon Knight. 

3 hours should be enough although they might not get to Moon Knight. Fingers crossed. 

It's a real shame you aren't a part of Marvel's writing staff

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Well he survived the original Infinity storyline in the comics.  And it would allow for some future threat to come along that is so great the heroes of whatever period or phase that is have to actually go to Thanos seeking his help.

20 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

100%. We need him for the antihero cosmic shenanigans

I don't know what Thanos fate will be but I love about comic books that they enter unexpected alliances so you never know if they may bring Thanos back to help with bigger menace down the line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LaughingEvans said:

100%. We need him for the antihero cosmic shenanigans

Yeah could see a retired Thanos sitting there defeated giving wisdom on his farm. 

The X-Men need to take a nap for at least 5 years. They're just played out now. That franchise has been around since 2000 with not much of a break. I'm all for getting the Fantastic Four done right though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't know what Thanos fate will be but I love about comic books that they enter unexpected alliances so you never know if they may bring Thanos back to help with bigger menace down the line. 

The infinity watch was a great team

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, AJ2k said:

The X-Men need to take a nap for at least 5 years. They're just played out now. That franchise has been around since 2000 with not much of a break. I'm all for getting the Fantastic Four done right though.

And frankly the Fantastic Four are easier to bring in than mutants writ large into the MCU would be.  The same accident that ended up giving them their powers could just as easily propel them forward in time to present day, preserving the whole 1960's nuclear family angle.

Edited by Horner
  • Like 1